• Customizer

my first question is: when exactly does scrambling happen?  As far as I understand it, the choice to scramble and where to scramble occurs after all combat moves have taken place.  Basically scrambling happens in between combat move and combat rolling.

second question:
    so according to the rule book, strategic bombing happens before all other combat
    lets say i combat move to strat bomb an air base on in island, and also combat move some ships to the the sz around the island for an amphibious assault.  the defender decides to scramble his fighters to the sz.
    i bomb the air base dealing 6 damage
    does this mean the scrambling no longer works? and his fighters can not scramble to that sz anymore?
    i would assume no, the fighters have already scrambled… but i want to make sure

third question:
    scrambling says you can scramble to defend in a sz where there is a an attack taking place.
    this means you can scramble to a SZ where you would help defend some friendly allied naval units from the enemy
    this means you could scramble to a sz to defend against some transports that would be conducting an amphibious assault (even tho there are no friendly units in the sz)
    this means you can NOT scramble to a sz where the enemy is just moving into the sz, no naval battles or amphibious battles…

thx krieg

• @Veqryn:

my first question is: when exactly does scrambling happen?  As far as I understand it, the choice to scramble and where to scramble occurs after all combat moves have taken place.  Basically scrambling happens in between combat move and combat rolling.

second question:
    so according to the rule book, strategic bombing happens before all other combat
    lets say i combat move to strat bomb an air base on in island, and also combat move some ships to the the sz around the island.  the defender decides to scramble his fighters to the sz.
    i bomb the air base dealing 6 damage
    does this mean the scrambling no longer works? and his fighters can not scramble to that sz anymore?
    i would assume no, the fighters have already scrambled… but i want to make sure

Scrambling planes is performed prior to any combat or bombing occuring, during the combat move phase, in response to enemy movement.  The strategic bombing does not occur until all combat moves have been decided.

Damage to an airbase would not effect scrambling until the combat move phase of the following powers turn.  The UK could strategic bomb an airfield to oblivion and ANZAC would then be free to have naval combat in the adjoining island seazone without fear of retribution, etc etc blah blah blah.

• Official Q&A

Your understanding is correct, Veqryn.

• On a side note, I wish tactical bombers were able to bomb air/naval bases (not factories).  According to my grandpa’s carrier’s war journal, they did a lot of airfield attacks, so it would only make sense to have that ability, and it would better justify the 11 IPC cost, since some people think that is too much.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m