• @Marshmallow:

Isn’t killing the BB the point of the whole attack? Or do you think Italy would take the BB as a casualty before losing aircraft?

Marsh

I take the BB before Aircraft, as Italy, because Air dominates this game. Saving the Italian fighters is much better, because they can Can-Open for Germ or can be used if you build a carrier.  I thought the whole reason of doing Taranto was to kill 2 Italian Trans, and that taking out the BB was just a nice side affect, right?

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Agree with you that air should not be taken as loss before BB in this scenario.

I don’t think you can kill the transport before the BB thought.

Marsh

• @Marshmallow:

Agree with you that air should not be taken as loss before BB in this scenario.

I don’t think you can kill the transport before the BB thought.

Marsh

Well no you can’t, however the reason I do the Taranto raid is to deny Italy of transports, not a Battleship

• '19 '17 '16

I will count taranto as a success if I kill the bb but leave the tt alive.  Just less successful than i hoped. In that case you have to decide whether to use the cv as a blocker.  Similarly to if taranto fails without using the cv. It is not total death.

• '19 '17 '16

The Italians have a 20% chance of keeping the bb alive and a further seven pc chance of keeping the tt alive.

• '19 '17 '16

@JDOW:

But without the AC the Taranto is just reckless against a 3 fighter scramble and thus a bad idea!

Thinking about this some more, keeping the CV out massively reduces the consequences of either of the med attacks failing or partly failing. Doesn’t change much if the DD in SZ96 survives but if that is sunk but the TT survives, which happens a few % of times, it allows you to move the CV to SZ96 and block an amphibious assault on Egypt.

If the SZ97 Taranto raid fails to kill the BB, you can move the CV to SZ99 where it will be killed but at least you are likely to hold Egypt. If you kill the BB but not the TT, you’d move to SZ97 to prevent amphibious assaults on Syria/Cyprus/Crete.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@simon33:

The Italians have a 20% chance of keeping the bb alive and a further seven pc chance of keeping the tt alive.

Without the Italian navy the transport is easy prey unless it stays pinned under air cover, which limits it to picking up troops from North Africa and delivering them to Europe. As soon as it leaves protection, the transport dies. Either way, the transport is no longer a real threat unless the two units it can deliver will tip the scales in a crucial battle for Egypt. So, while not a total success, I would not be unhappy if the transport lived an extra round.

Marsh

• '21 '20 '18 '17

You have to send in the carrier, because it is a stump unit in that situation (on the attack the carrier has 0 attack power but takes 2 free hits).  That means that you can take 2 full hits before your Attack Power diminishes.  This has a massive effect on the outcome of battles but is not reflected in Base Odds calculations.

You typically don’t want to land the planes where Italy/Ger can strike them either, like malta, crete, Syria, Yugo, Greece etc or you lose them just the same.

Not losing the BB last is inadvisable and does not make sense.  It’s irreplaceable and can heal itself where it sits.  Then, they have to come and kill it again.  The only time this would be the right move is if subs are present and first striking activated.

• '19 '17 '16

You don’t have to send the cv in and doing so expends a 16ipc unit on absorbing two hits. Hardly optimal.

• @simon33:

You don’t have to send the cv in and doing so expends a 16ipc unit on absorbing two hits. Hardly optimal.

You may not have to send the CV, but you can’t say that you don’t have to send it. Too much depends on the bid, whether London’s under threat of a SL, whether Germany landed air in S Ita, and if the cruiser in sz91 survived G1. Can you kill the Italian navy without the carrier present? Yes, but you’re probably only going to have odds in the 70s unless you bring 2 ftrs from UK, didn’t lose the CA in sz 91, AND bid at least a sub in sz98. Too many things need to happen in order to having to bring the CV or risking 73% odds in such an important battle. Not only do you ensure high odds of killing the Italian navy, but you also have a greater chance of having more units survive that will either land in Malta to fight another day or give you more dice to kill German air.

@taamvan:

Not losing the BB last is inadvisable and does not make sense.  It’s irreplaceable and can heal itself where it sits.  Then, they have to come and kill it again.  The only time this would be the right move is if subs are present and first striking activated.

Sometimes it’s not a bad option to kill the bb if you will only have 1-2 units survive to another round of combat. Perhaps the allied player will say mission accomplished and retreat instead of pressing the battle. Better to have the transport and 1-2 fighters survive then to lose it all. It’s not like you really change the odds by selecting the bb over a fighter if they do in fact press. Plus if they retreat, you won’t get raided in sz97 and it opens up some options for you having that 2nd transport plus air unit(s) live rather then die.

• '19 '17 '16

I’m going to take that as meaning “You don’t have to, but it may be advised”. On that point, I’m happy to agree.

It’s 79% IIRC correctly of killing a 3ftr scramble and the BB with 3ftrs (2 from London) and no sub.

• If Italian BB+TR  lives and fleets combine in S.France  (killing French fleet on I-1 ) ,  (Sub + planes kill Malta DD )… AND , if S. France is taken by Germany on G1… (assume G1 buy is 7 Art)…
    Then
    Germany can invest $16 for a CV on G2 buy in S.France… landS 2 planes on it, now almost I possible to kill this Fleet for Med UK forces.

Mare` Nostrum, for Italy from I2 onward… is strong probability.

If Italy does no buy on I1, I-2 buy  can be 2 TRs, and now 4 TR + N. Afro Italians threaten Egypt on I-3.

If, with RamRod setup on G1, UK fails with Taranto… it is really done for in the Med…for I2 will get Egypt… and more.

The CV in Taranto is what usually insures against dis aster there.

• '19 '17 '16

@MeinHerr:

If Italian BB+TR  lives and fleets combine in S.France  (killing French fleet on I-1 ) ,  (Sub + planes kill Malta DD )… AND , if S. France is taken by Germany on G1… (assume G1 buy is 7 Art)…
    Then
    Germany can invest $16 for a CV on G2 buy in S.France… landS 2 planes on it, now almost I possible to kill this Fleet for Med UK forces.

Mare` Nostrum, for Italy from I2 onward… is strong probability.

If Italy does no buy on I1, I-2 buy  can be 2 TRs, and now 4 TR + N. Afro Italians threaten Egypt on I-3.

If, with RamRod setup on G1, UK fails with Taranto… it is really done for in the Med…for I2 will get Egypt… and more.

The CV in Taranto is what usually insures against dis aster there.

Maybe, possibly. Unlikely.

Why bring up RamRod here?

• @simon33:

I’m going to take that as meaning “You don’t have to, but it may be advised”. On that point, I’m happy to agree.

It’s 79% IIRC correctly of killing a 3ftr scramble and the BB with 3ftrs (2 from London) and no sub.

Yeah, that was my intended meaning. Your way of writing it conveys what I meant. I guess it all comes down to what you’re willing to risk percentage wise in that battle. Some people might be comfortable with something in the 80s, others might prefer a higher percentage.

The great thing about G40 is there’s never really a right or wrong answer. I’ve never looked back from the classic or even the revised editions once I tried G40.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m