• Sponsor

Considering the success rate of the Axis taking Egypt even without an Italian Battleship, Cruiser, and Transport (after a Taranto raid)… has Tobruk become the better attack option for UK1?

• What do you usually hit Tobruk with if that is the move?

• Sponsor

@bulawdog:

What do you usually hit Tobruk with if that is the move?

Amphibious Assault

3 Infantry
    2 Artillery
    1 Mech Infantry
    1 Tank
    1 Fighter
    1 Tactical Bomber

Sea Combat
    1 Cruiser
    1 Destroyer
    1 Fighter

• @Young:

Considering the success rate of the Axis taking Egypt even without an Italian Battleship, Cruiser, and Transport (after a Taranto raid)… has Tobruk become the better attack option for UK1?

What do you mean by there success rate ?  Are you saying that the Axis have a strong possibility to take and HOLD Egypt? Because in games I’ve played, that is not true.

• Sponsor

@Tirano:

@Young:

What do you mean by there success rate ? Are you saying that the Axis have a strong possibility to take and HOLD Egypt? Because in games I’ve played, that is not true.

It takes the entire German airforce (or the mass majority of it) to land on Alexandria G2 where the Italian force from Tobruk has moved during I1, the German planes are used as protection from a UK attack. The Italians can buy another transport or many air units to eventually take Egypt knowing that with the German aircraft providing defensive muscle and threatening any remaining British ships in the area, the Italians are safe while reinforcing Alexandria. A UK1 factory in Egypt is a good way for the Brits to keep Egypt, but that also makes them vulnerable to a sealion invasion.

• '19 '17 '16

Interesting question. I position to block Egypt from the navy on I1.

Can’t say I’ve ever played a game where Egypt has been threatened in that way. UK2 the med air force can reach Egypt and if the Ethiopian force was taken out UK1 leaving at least the mech, it’s hard to see how the Italians can have enough to take out Egypt I2? By I3, more troops will have been brought up by TT from SA.

I don’t really follow how this can happen if the script is followed - it’s when an attack fails that it becomes relevant.

• '21 '18

An expensive way to get Egypt almost everytime. Germany could place an AC and 2 TT G2 (2 TNK, 2 INF) in SZ93 and land the whole Luftwaffe in Alexandria G2. Italy could then soften Egypt with everything available I2. G3 Germany cleans the remains of the 8th army and try to hold the place with 2 TNK and 2 INF (losses attributed to planes). If UK3 counterattack succesfully, Italy retakes the place I3 and German aircrafts help hold the ground G4. After that reinforce with IC, TT, Air. But like I said earlier, it’s kind of expensive to do things that way.

Killing Tobruk (and Ethiopia) UK1 may over strech UK too much and leave Egypt vulnerable from amphibious assaults from Italy. Tarento seems safer in my opinion but loosing this battle is almost fatal for Egypt.

• I find that Taranto is more reliable than Tobruk, but so much depends on the dice rolls if you don’t have a bid. That is my complaint with the balance mod that bad dice rolling on round 1 could mean easy Axis victory.

• @Young:

@Tirano:

@Young:

What do you mean by there success rate ? Are you saying that the Axis have a strong possibility to take and HOLD Egypt? Because in games I’ve played, that is not true.

It takes the entire German airforce (or the mass majority of it) to land on Alexandria G2 where the Italian force from Tobruk has moved during I1, the German planes are used as protection from a UK attack. The Italians can buy another transport or many air units to eventually take Egypt knowing that with the German aircraft providing defensive muscle and threatening any remaining British ships in the area, the Italians are safe while reinforcing Alexandria. A UK1 factory in Egypt is a good way for the Brits to keep Egypt, but that also makes them vulnerable to a sealion invasion.

I see your point but the Germ air force is either in Africa threatening Egypt or West Germ threatening london not both

• It is always safe to deter a Tobruk, bY placing the Hungarian FTR and a FTR/TB from W. Germany on Tobruk during G1 non-combat. 8-9 units …… (6 Italian and 2-3 German )is an unpleasant choice for a UK1 attack.

• Sponsor

I think we can all agree that the UK must do one or the other, and not leave both untouched right?

• @Young:

I think we can all agree that the UK must do one or the other, and not leave both untouched right?

Couldn’t disagree more,  There are multiple threads up on this type discussion right now, so I would just read the other threads if you would like to know why.

• Sponsor

@Tirano:

@Young:

Couldn’t disagree more,  There are multiple threads up on this type discussion right now, so I would just read the other threads if you would like to know why.

could you provide a link?

• At the bottom of this thread people explain some alternatives and other ideas. 
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38162.0
    This is an idea I personally use and have found successful instead of Taranto or Tobruk
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38202.0

• I feel like the “3rd” option is stacking UK navy in 92 and building an air base in Gibraltar UK1.  Same risk of Sea Lion as building the IC in Egypt UK1 tho.  This requires “breaking out” by attacking the Italian Destroyer in 96 with air power (bomber from London and Fighter from Malta).  I would also recommend an attack on Ethiopia via India support combined with the Tac and TT with 2 units from egypt, then consolidating Alex/Egypt forces in Egypt.  If, for whatever reason, UK navy in 110 was avoided, send them to 92 as well.

Just another option to consider with lots of “ifs”.  Germany’s opening move should dictate your options rather than have a hard and fast “this is what the UK MUST DO”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m