• Playing our first global game.  Absolutely love the strategy!  This game has taken us all weekend.  We started playing like it was AA 1941 then we incorporate new rules as we get through a full round.  It seems to help in keeping things simple.  After reading through a number of posts I’m still a little confused on scrambling.

1.  Is scrambling only for island territories?  Or can all coastal territories scramble?  For example can one scramble from either coast of the United States if attacked?

2. Is there return fire from the attacking ships after the scrambling planes fire?  If the attacker can fire do they get to roll as many dice as units?  Meaning that if the attacker comes in with 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, aircraft carrier (with 2 fighters) and a transport.  Does the attacker get to roll 6 dice?  I was only able to roll 3 on my scramble.

3.  If there is a hit is it still the attackers choice as to which unit to remove.

4.  Or is a scramble more like a surprise sub attack?  If I hit they are out if I miss they get to return fire.

Thanks again for a great game!

• '19 '18 '17

Hello and welcome Dorowar!

@Dorowar:

1.  Is scrambling only for island territories?  Or can all coastal territories scramble?  For example can one scramble from either coast of the United States if attacked?

Not exclusive for Islands. You can scramble from all coastal territories with an airbase and from all island territories with an airbase.

2. Is there return fire from the attacking ships after the scrambling planes fire?  If the attacker can fire do they get to roll as many dice as units?  Meaning that if the attacker comes in with 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, aircraft carrier (with 2 fighters) and a transport.  Does the attacker get to roll 6 dice?  I was only able to roll 3 on my scramble.

In combat, you roll always one dice per unit. Scrambled planes are treated in the combat as if they were in the seazone right at the beginning. They belong to the defending units. So Attacking units fire -> defender choses casualties -> all defending units (even those, that you’ve chosen as casualties) fire back -> attacker choses casualties -> remove all casualties.

3.  If there is a hit is it still the attackers choice as to which unit to remove.

In normal combat (except kamikazes) you chose always you own casualties. The other person rolls the dice, tells you how many hits he scored, then you decide what units he has hitten

4.  Or is a scramble more like a surprise sub attack?  If I hit they are out if I miss they get to return fire.
    Scrambled planes are treated in the combat as if they were in the seazone right at the beginning. So in a way they belong to the defending fleet (even if there is no defending fleet ;) ) and fire with the other defending units

Thanks again for a great game!

• Awesome.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m