• '19 Moderator

There’s some good stuff in there…

• @dezrtfish:

There’s some good stuff in there…

A lot of the general ideas are nice, but easily abused. Still it has potential.

• '19 Moderator

There are concepts that would be nice to add realism.  I may add some of these in a bit at a time as my group gets more experience.

• @dezrtfish:

There are concepts that would be nice to add realism.  I may add some of these in a bit at a time as my group gets more experience.

I plan to as well, I’m just cautious about changing or adding mechanics in the game since they can have unforseen circumstances.

For example using the Enfilade rules I can run a jeep up, transporting an infantry adjacent to an enemy soldier. My M4A3 (105) should easily be able to get in the rear arc since it will be nearly 180 degrees, and the Jeep is generally fast enough to circle at least partially around. If I won initiative I can simply leave the soldier in the Jeep; the M4A3 (105) fires and should easily splatter any soldier in the game, and the jeep simply drives off before my opponent can respond. If I lose initiative I either just don’t do it and wait until I do, or simply dismount the infantry first. I can even put my Sherman on overwatch in case the infantry tries to escape, and with no limits on disruption he’s going nowhere.

Using Enfilade and the new plane rules, aircraft can become equally as disgusting, shooting with ~7 dice at +3 from medium range, and barely anything can hurt them back except dedicated AA.

Now perhaps this rules are as they should be historically, but for game play they may potentially unbalance things. Also that’s only looking at the bad side of things; the good side is platoons and enfilade promote the use of the ‘lesser’ infantry.

I will have to try a few games out with them before making any decision though, and overall I do at least like the idea of them.

• '19 Moderator

As far as air goes, I don’t like the idea of a sniper taking out a P51, that just seems quite improbable.  An MG42 I can see.  I also can’t imagine an M1 Garand nailing an ME109.  Could it happen? maybe, but probably not.

• @dezrtfish:

As far as air goes, I don’t like the idea of a sniper taking out a P51, that just seems quite improbable.  An MG42 I can see.  I also can’t imagine an M1 Garand nailing an ME109.  Could it happen? maybe, but probably not.

Again I see it as more of a playability issue. Is it realistic? No, not even close. Heck really planes shouldn’t be in the game at a such a small level. However, I shouldn’t be completely screwed over just because I’m not using dedicated AA, which is otherwise a bit of a waste if my opponent doesn’t use aircraft (perhaps this is where a sideboard comes in… :).
    It seems to me that these rules are encouraging a more defencive game and creating an environment where you want your infantry spread out - that way they’re less prone to enfilade/grazing shot, and can also perhaps get in line with a plane to help bring it down.

I didn’t get to play a game sunday with the rules, but I hope to some time this week to try them out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m