• '17 '16

Is it just me, or does it seem odd that Italy’s OOB color is Brown and ANZAC is Grey… shouldn’t Grey be to Germany’s Black what Brown is to the UK’s Tan?

The colors for Italy and ANZAC should be swapped! [queue riot]

• We made that swap years ago when we play G40.

I share your opinion that the color scheme looks much better with Germany-black and Italy-grey. UK-tan, and Anz muddy brown seems to fit a Commonwealth theme as well (I also use my lime green UK units from Revised if we house rule India or Canada into the game).

I know that the Anz units are the same mold as the Brits, but we got over that lol. Besides it is much easier to tell the Italians from the Russians along the Eastern front too.

• '17 '16

Well the ANZAC units in 1st Edition are a recolored UK infantry sculpt, but the ANZAC units in 2nd Edition are a custom sculpt, complete with that Aussie campaign hat.

That’s another good point, that the Italian brown is a close cousin of the Russians and can cause confusion.  Its just really, really odd to me that Italy isn’t grey, it would aesthetically look good too, same with an Aussie Brown.

• I’m not sure an Aussie brown would be an improvement. You would still have the issue with two powers having very similar colors (Russians and Aussies instead of Russians and Italians).
    I would prefer a more contrasting color altogether. I have one friend who is partially color blind and the current colors give him a lot of problems. Maybe a shade of purple?

• '17 '16

Well the Russians are a shade of purple! (they’re kinda maroon).

Also, Russians and Aussies are worlds apart from one another on the map (and allied)… Italians and Russians could meet head to head, are enemies, and a bad dice toss and a little smudge on your glasses, and you got some units confused with one another!

I was just kinda sayin shades of the same color work for allies of the same nation… like Light Green for Chinese that are allied to the darker Green of the US… that makes sense… Brown Aussies with Tan English are on the same color scale… Grey Italians with Black for Germany is roughly 50 Shades of Grey apart (ouch, bad pun).

As it stands now, it just looks goofy… someone should be fired, but they probably already left.  :-D

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Wolfshanze:

Also, Russians and Aussies are worlds apart from one another on the map (and allied)… Italians and Russians could meet head to head, are enemies, and a bad dice toss and a little smudge on your glasses, and you got some units confused with one another!

Well, starting ANZAC planes can make Moscow on A4 with no issues, so the coloration might actually produce some confusion there.

Marsh

• @Wolfshanze:

I was just kinda sayin shades of the same color work for allies of the same nation… like Light Green for Chinese that are allied to the darker Green of the US… that makes sense… Brown Aussies with Tan English are on the same color scale…

I’d actually argue for sharper colour distinctions between the various countries, not more muted ones.  Depending on the lighting conditions in which one is playing (bluish daylight, reddish incandescent light or greenish fluorescent light), the sculpt colours can vary quite a bit in appearance and they’re not always easily distinguishable.  On the positive side, the current colour differentiation is a lot better than it was in the original Milton Bradley game, and so its the clarity of the colours; in the M-B edition, the American sculpts were issued in a murky greenish-brown that looked neither green nor brown.

• '17 '16

@CWO:

I’d actually argue for sharper colour distinctions between the various countries, not more muted ones. Depending on the lighting conditions in which one is playing (bluish daylight, reddish incandescent light or greenish fluorescent light), the sculpt colours can vary quite a bit in appearance and they’re not always easily distinguishable. On the positive side, the current colour differentiation is a lot better than it was in the original Milton Bradley game, and so its the clarity of the colours; in the M-B edition, the American sculpts were issued in a murky greenish-brown that looked neither green nor brown.

Well, I’m not necessarily saying Tan for UK and Darker Tan for ANZAC, or Black for Germany and Light Black for Italy… I’m just saying, both Italy and ANZAC in SE have stand-out colors, I’m just saying they should have been swapped to be in the same “spectrum” as their bigger backers… the current ANZAC Grey could not possibly be confused for German Black, but it’s in the same spectrum (shades of grey/black), and current Italian Brown is nothing like UK Tan… but if it were ANZAC’s color, it would be in the same spectrum with the UK (Tan and Brown).

They still stand out, but stay in the same spectrum as their major power backer.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The Italian Mech needs to stay Italian because it looks so armored and intimidating.

No, actually, its just a supply truck.  Perfect.

The ANZAC pieces cannot go to junky Italy, because they are GIANTS, larger than life and BIGGER THAN ALL OTHER MEN!

• Use the same colors as Diplomacy. Problem solved!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m