70TH ANNIVERSARY DISCUSSION (1) POLAND 1939

• Im gonna start a discussion on World War II campaigns as we approach the 70th anniv. of these great battles…Im a little behind so i will start with Poland 1939…

Question:  Was There ANY hope for the Poles when Germany blitzkrieged them out of existence?  Is there any way that Britain or France could have saved them and what do you think the USSR would have done if they had tried?

Looking fwd to your answers…

• Cmon guys…what are your thoughts on the 1939 Polish campaign…Here’s a link and a question…if Hitler didnt have a pact with Stalin to offer him Poland on a plate…would he STILL have attacked the Poles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Campaign

• @RJL518:

Im gonna start a discussion on World War II campaigns as we approach the 70th anniv. of these great battles…Im a little behind so i will start with Poland 1939…

Question:  Was There ANY hope for the Poles when Germany blitzkrieged them out of existence?  Is there any way that Britain or France could have saved them and what do you think the USSR would have done if they had tried?

Looking fwd to your answers…

I enjoy your 70th anniv. series.

Poland had no chance of defeating back Germany. The Geography of Poland was Poland’s death blow, too few large rivers to use as barriers, flat plains and very little easily defeadable highlands. East Prussia to the North, Germany to the West and a Soviet Union which had not forgotten the Poles wild land grab of the Ukraine in the chaos of revolutionary Russia left Poland with no friendly neighbors. Poland had the sprit to defend herself, just not the means.

• I still sometimes wonder if Germany still would have attacked Poland if he didnt have a pact with Stalin…

• Hitler was no fool. Yes he was bad and did bad things, but he was no fool.

• Quite true Razor Blade…Hitler was very much a genius in his own right…insane, mad, and one evil SOB…but u have to admire his intelligence…

• Poland was a freed country only since WWI, so barely 20 years old at that time.

Prior to that, it was divided between 3 major powers and it had been like that for around 150 years ( since 1772 if I remember )

So did they had any chance? None at all.

However, I’d say Poland as a country is not 70 years old. It was formed in 996 so you should really say 1014 th anniversay  :-o

It has a great history prior to that, notably in 1683 when the hussards of Jean III Sobieski saved Vienna. Also against the Teutonic Knights, great reading there.

Considering they endured trough all theses set back, being still a country after a full millenium, I’d say that they certainly had the spirit to fight. However, 20 years of new found freedom was just not enough.

But eh, at least they are a free country today. As a resident of Quebec in Canada, I can’t say as much  :cry:

• the Poles went through hell in order to fight off the Germans…They fought very bravely

• The Poles fought very bravely twice in II. WW…both times cheated and beat by Russians and Germans… :cry:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m