Printing Giant Maps for Dummies

• They might be able to do it and maybe charge a small fee.

Also you could print map on vinyl , lay on piece of wood, put a piece of non- glare plexi glass over map, secure plexi and map with a nice small thin piece wood border around it so you can pick up or hang on wall for storage and looks.

Make the wood board and plexi glass an inch bigger all around so trim on top of board will be flush with all side.

• '17 '16

@SS:

They might be able to do it and maybe charge a small fee.

So, you had this done on yours?  I didn’t look at Dedo’s maps… are the sea zones not well defined at all?  How important is this step to do?

@SS:

Also you could print map on vinyl , lay on piece of wood, put a piece of non- glare plexi glass over map, secure plexi and map to wood and then put a nice small thin piece wood border around it so you can pick up or hang on wall for storage and looks.

This sounds like a job for the Frame Shop… take vinyl map to frame shop, say “mount this so I can hang on a wall and put on the table and play on top of it!”.

• Don’t know about dedo’s maps. I’ll ask my son if he can do it.

Frame shop be good.

• '17 '16

So, if I intended on framing it to hang on a wall (and pull down for play), I wouldn’t need to laminate it… or could/should I just have it laminated without a cover on it, if I framed it sans plexi-cover?

• You could just laminate on vinyl and not  use the plexi glass but then the trim border will have to cover some of the map and middle of map  will fall away from board if you hang it.

The money u save on laminating will pay for the non-glare plexi glass and also protect it better and keep it flat when you hang it or store it away.

• '17 '16

@SS:

The money u save on laminating will pay for the non-glare plexi glass and also protect it better and keep it flat when you hang it or store it away.

That sounds like a good idea.

@Dedo:

I take so called Blockout Banner (760gr/qm) or PVC Banner (510gr/qm) with antiglare. Both can be printed with a solution of 720 dpi, inks should be a mild or eco solvent.

I saw the above quote from Dedo on one of his map threads… is either of his suggestions basically the same as what I did on “Outdoor Banner Vinyl” when I did my battle board?  I’m still searching for what exactly I should be seeking as the material to print it on and/or ask for at the print shop.

• My brother has a small print business and he certainly can change a digital file prior to printing - be it to darken sz borders, add or remove tables, etc.

You may also want to increase the size of the circles in the 1941 pic tracker, which are too small.

BTW I think mine are outdoor banner vinyl.

• '17 '16

@Private:

My brother has a small print business and he certainly can change a digital file prior to printing - be it to darken sz borders, add or remove tables, etc.

Yes, but aren’t you one of those darn Englishmen sitting across the pond? Not sure that’s going to do me a whole lot of good in Florida! Last time I set foot in England was 1992. Now if your brother wants to move his shop stateside…

@Private:

Yes - roll print side facing out.

Thanks… that also sounds like a plan… certainly another possibility over framing.

@Private:

BTW I think mine are outdoor banner vinyl.

Thanks for that info… so you had yours laminated I take it?

• If he can do it then so can others Wolf.

If not, then it’s only the cost of postage.

No - not laminated.

• '17 '16

@Private:

If he can do it then so can others Wolf.

You’d be amazed at the numbers of American teens working at print shops that come pre-equipped with blank stares just waiting for you to ask a question about something.

@Private:

No - not laminated.

Hmmm… lots of people seem to say this is the way to go with the roll up?  I had my battle board done on outdoor vinyl with no lamination… it seems fine to play on, but I haven’t put it under any use yet, so not sure how resistant it will be to extended play.

• My 1941 map has been used maybe 20 times. No obvious wear as yet.

• '17 '16

@Private:

My 1941 map has been used maybe 20 times. No obvious wear as yet.

Good to know, thanks!

• '17 '16

Alright… I broke down today (payday is a good day to break down) and went to my local Fed Ex Office store and ordered Dedo’s Supreme 1941 (52x28") and Supreme 1942 SE (resized to 57x30") maps printed up on outdoor banner vinyl.  They’re costing me roughly $70 and $90 US dollars respectively to have made.  Just thought I’d put that info out there to anyone reading this thread thinking about having them made… those are some rough 2016 ballpark figures that you can expect to pay if you’re doing a similar project (of course shopping around may save you some dough, I just went to the quickest/easiest solution, though it may have cost me a tad more).  I’ll post pictures after I get them back.

• '17 '16

Here’s the results, my 1941 map.

my1941custommap1.jpg
    my1941custommap2.jpg

• '17 '16

And here’s my new 1942 map

my1942custommap1.jpg
    my1942custommap2.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics