• Why not give AA’s a shot every round of battle. Use D8’s or D10’s.

Rolled 1 D8 dice at a time for 500 rolls.
               500 rolls = 53 hits
          For every 6 rolled dice = .065 hits

Rolled 1 D10 dice at a time for 500 rolls.
                500 rolls = 60 hits
          For every 6 dice rolled = .075 hits

Maybe the D6 is not that strong after all. I’ll have to check.

Well I went back and rolled 100 D6’s
                 100 rolls = 17 hits
         For every 6 diced rolled = 1.06 hits

I’m sure Baron will want to figure the odds on this.

• '17 '16

The issue with AAA fire every round is about defender’s casualties.
    After opening round, if you keep an AAA instead of an Infantry, you are gambling a lesser chance to hit one plane, 1/6 or below 1/6 (1/8 or 1/10), against a 2/6 odds of killing an enemy unit, attacker’s choice.
    Maybe you can consider doing it on the second round, but after that it cannot be an optimized play.
    I believe OOB AAA were design to roll in the opening combat round so the defender have no additional expectation to hit planes and can concentrate on usual order of casualty. And if he choose to spare AAA against loosing an Infantry it is because he sees an opportunity to save them for another day.

You want a game you can use AAA every round?
    Make it fire against up to 2 planes @1, which ever the lesser.
    When two planes are going to  be present, you will keep AAA over Inf, but if only 1 plane attacking you still have to gamble between @1 AAA (against plane) vs @2 Inf defense (usual casualty choice).

• @Baron:

After opening round, if you keep an AAA instead of an Infantry, you are gambling a lesser chance to hit one plane, 1/6 or below 1/6 (1/8 or 1/10), against a 2/6 odds of killing an enemy unit, attacker’s choice.

Correct, but isn’t this the true quintessence of war and battle ? As a commander you have to gamble, as there is no sure thing in combat. As yourself point out every day, the A&A game is all about math. And the element of math in this game is so strong that even some random luck in a local battle is not enough to even out the math. But open a history book, and you will see the most crazy outcome in real world battles. Outcomes so unbelieveable it can not be reenacted in this A&A game. Now try to do the Japanese attack on Singapore in the A&A battle board, let one single Japanese infantry unit attack a Brit stack of 5 inf, 1 Art, 1 Tank and 2 Fighter units, and see if this one infantry are able to kill all the Brit units with no loss, because that is what happened in the real world in 1940. In a real battle, the firepower from rifles and guns are math, like in A&A, but all this is suddenly nullified by abstract values like morale, fighting spirit, surprise, and not to mention defenders that suddenly get a nervous breakdown and escape in panic, just by the look of an enemy in the horizon. Now this is why the designer put dice in the equation. So to answer your question, ditch the math and give us more gamble, man

• @Narvik:

@Baron:

Yes forgot to mention that. Also attackers planes should get to retreat at any time.

You could put a cap on shots at planes. I think the AA’s shottin every round may hurt the Axis the most.
    Also have to worry about the AA dicing your planes out on 1st round.

Have a game. Using the D12. Also going to test the D12 @2 1st round then @1 rest of rounds.

For the D6 games I try D6 AA shots at planes 1st round and then the D10’s rest of round.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m