• Who makes the LowLuck rules?

because those strategic bombing rules that I’m hearing about suck.

I want to write him a lettah
    just to make myself feel bettah
    it sez “gimme, gimme some crack sometime”
    But I knowww what that’ll getter . . .

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I don’t think it’s a matter of someone writting the rules, just a group of people agreeing to use base percentages to determine combat, leaving any non-100% hit up to the dice.

Also, not sure what you would change about SBR in LL.  Care to enlighten us?

Currently it’s: 2.5 IPC damage to the attacker, 3.5 IPC damage to the defender. (.5 is rounded up on a roll of 4, 5 or 6; .5 is rounded down on a roll of 1, 2 or 3.)

2.5 is calculated by 15 IPC / 6 (6 AA Gun shots should kill 1 bomber) and 3.5 is the exact center of the die.

• @Jennifer:

Care to enlighten us?

Yes, why not post the exact rules that are being used for lowluck strat bombing.  I searched the forum but couldn’t find them.

Even before looking, I’m going to say that I’m sure I’m going to have a big problem with the approach to logistics.

In our next exciting episode, our resident crack pipe smoking owl “enlightens” the unwashed masses.

OR DOES HE?!!1!

DUN DUN DUN!

Personally, I wouldn’t take anything a crack pipe smoking owl said at face value . . .

• @newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

Care to enlighten us?

Yes, why not post the exact rules that are being used for lowluck strat bombing.  I searched the forum but couldn’t find them.

Even before looking, I’m going to say that I’m sure I’m going to have a big problem with the approach to logistics.

In our next exciting episode, our resident crack pipe smoking owl “enlightens” the unwashed masses.

OR DOES HE?!!1!

DUN DUN DUN!

Personally, I wouldn’t take anything a crack pipe smoking owl said at face value . . .

Nor would I.  Nor.  Would.  I. …Or a beer swilling one either.

Basically it’s all a matter of adding up punch and dividing by 6. For every whole number result you get 1 hit, for every fraction you roll the die and attempt to roll below the numerator to score an additional hit.

For instance, 6 Attacking infantry would be 1 hit.  (6/6 = 1) but 9 Attacking infantry would be 1.5 hits (9/6 = 1.5 with a remainder of 3.)  If you rolled the die and got 3 or less, you round that number up to 2 hits, if you rolled higher then 3 then you only scored one hit.

It’s even more fun in larger battles.  20 Infantry, 10 Artillery, 5 Armor, 5 Fighters, 1 Bomber attacking would be 14 hits.  However, in ADS you could range anywhere from 21 hits to 5 hits realistically.

As for SBR’s, it’s a matter of averages.  You expect an AA Gun to shoot down 1 in 6 aircraft.  So if you did 6 SBRs you would expect your bomber to be shot down on the 6th bomber run.  The cost of a bomber is 15 IPCs, so if you lost 1/6th of your bomber every SBR, that would cost you 15/6 IPC or 2.5 IPC.  A bomber attacking the factory can do between 1 and 6 damage.  The median point between 1 and 6 is 3.5. (1,2,3 on one side, 4,5,6 on the other.) So for an SBR you do 3 damage plus 1 on a roll of 1,2,3 and take 2 damage plus 1 on a roll of 1,2,3.

As for shore bombardment and submarines you usually have to agree before the game if they will be fired as seperate attacks or in conjunction with the main body of the attack.  Makes a huge difference.  You have a normal attack for individual submarines and battleships shore bombardment if seperate, but if you attack with 2 infantry, 1 battleship you automatically get 1 hit. (1+1+4=6).

• @General_D.Fox:

@newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

Care to enlighten us?

OR DOES HE?!!1!

DUN DUN DUN!

Nor would I.  Nor.  Would.  I. …Or a beer swilling one either.

Logically, if you wouldn’t listen to an owl on crack OR an owl on beer, an owl on crack AND beer must therefore be the very EPITOME of trustworthiness.

It’s a double negative, you see.  The beer cancels out the crack and vice versa.

• @Jennifer:

As for SBR’s, it’s a matter of averages.  You expect an AA Gun to shoot down 1 in 6 aircraft.  So if you did 6 SBRs you would expect your bomber to be shot down on the 6th bomber run.  The cost of a bomber is 15 IPCs, so if you lost 1/6th of your bomber every SBR, that would cost you 15/6 IPC or 2.5 IPC.  A bomber attacking the factory can do between 1 and 6 damage.  The median point between 1 and 6 is 3.5. (1,2,3 on one side, 4,5,6 on the other.) So for an SBR you do 3 damage plus 1 on a roll of 1,2,3 and take 2 damage plus 1 on a roll of 1,2,3.

As for shore bombardment and submarines you usually have to agree before the game if they will be fired as seperate attacks or in conjunction with the main body of the attack.  Makes a huge difference.  You have a normal attack for individual submarines and battleships shore bombardment if seperate, but if you attack with 2 infantry, 1 battleship you automatically get 1 hit. (1+1+4=6).

1.  You spend all your IPCs during your purchase units phase, so you don’t end up paying 2.5 IPCs per bomber.
    2.  How do you determine if you should pay 2 or 3 IPCs?  Because you can’t really pay half an IPC.
    3.  Shore bombardment kills a defender without the defender being able to fire back.  So if infantry and battleship fire and hit, it’s like giving the infantry a free opening fire round.
    4.  There is a serious logistical difference between being able to use bombers against which there is no defense, and having to build transports to move in cost effective infantry.

I don’t play low-luck anyways.  :-D

• Just FYI:  DAAK is a framed wbsite.  So when you post a link, it will always be to the front page.

So be sure to post what links to click to get to the article you are referencing…

In this case, the LL info is found by clicking the left side menu “help for Low Luck”

@newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

1.  You spend all your IPCs during your purchase units phase, so you don’t end up paying 2.5 IPCs per bomber.
    2.  How do you determine if you should pay 2 or 3 IPCs?  Because you can’t really pay half an IPC.
    3.  Shore bombardment kills a defender without the defender being able to fire back.  So if infantry and battleship fire and hit, it’s like giving the infantry a free opening fire round.
    4.  There is a serious logistical difference between being able to use bombers against which there is no defense, and having to build transports to move in cost effective infantry.

I don’t play low-luck anyways.  :-D

1)  You pay the repair charge out of your income collected at the end of the round.
    2)  You roll one die.  If you roll a 1, 2 or 3 you pay 2 IPC, 4, 5, 6 you pay 3.  Same for damage.  Low end is 3 damage, high end is 4 damage.
    3)  It’s a trade off you have to determine with your opponent(s).  Do they want to have an auto kill or do they want the battleship to maybe miss?
    4)  Yes, but after 3 rounds you have all your bombers that cannot die and can now move into transports to take more land.

• You know, I gotta be honest…

IF LL SBR required the bombing player to HAVE THE CASH ON HAND to pay for their losses from the SBR damage (i.e., they have to SAVE the money to cover the losses and so have less to spend in the turn they SBR), THEN perhaps it would make more sense.

Kind of like in Classic where you HAVE to pay to violate a neutral AT THE TIME YOU DO SO, not at the end of your turn.

At least then there would be SOME semblance of sense to it… you could justify it as paying the cost of bombs, or repairing bombers, buying replacements, etc. during the course of the couple of months of bombing that are represented by a single game SBR.

The only difference is that you’d be forced to hold off one turn.  No biggie.  5 Bombers is 15 IPC you’re down anyway, and since it’s going to take at least a round to get into position, waiting 1 round for units to save up is nothing.

BTW, the Flames dicey is screwed up on rolling the damage.  They say attacker does 3 all the time, defender does 2 or 3.  I already notified them it needs to be fixed to come into accordance with the actual description of LL SBR.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m