• Thanks a lot for the feedback guys I sure do appreciate it!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Are those brown blocks magnets for weight?

Your hand painting looks great, some of your kitmods look very fragile (but very true to life).  May want to buy some 1:100+ naval models (they are really cheap and too small to be interesting to me) just so you can re-purpose some of the small parts.  Great efforts!

• '16 Customizer

You’ve outdone yourself! These are wonderfully detailed. I don’t think the variety would be quite as useful without the name placards; they really help keep the carriers good for play while allowing for customization.

For the HMS Furious, did you mod the actual piece off of an old cruiser piece?

• @taamvan:

Are those brown blocks magnets for weight?

Your hand painting looks great, some of your kitmods look very fragile (but very true to life).   May want to buy some 1:100+ naval models (they are really cheap and too small to be interesting to me) just so you can re-purpose some of the small parts.   Great efforts!

The magnets are there for the aircraft.  I glue small magnest onto the bottoms of the fighters and dive bombers so they don’t slide off the carriers during the game.  Its alittle outdated and a bit of a eye sore I know.  There are customizers on here that have magnetized there pieces and the game board! Which is the coolest more practical customization I have seen on the forum!

Thanks I know GHQ has dye cast metal ships and tanks with ultimate detail and features.  I try to stick with the feel of A&A by not straying too far away from the obb pieces and details.  HBG expansion sets are about as detailed as I like without it getting to crazy.

• @Spitfire38:

You’ve outdone yourself! These are wonderfully detailed. I don’t think the variety would be quite as useful without the name placards; they really help keep the carriers good for play while allowing for customization.

For the HMS Furious, did you mod the actual piece off of an old cruiser piece?

thanks for your comments spitfire! Yes I like using place cards for all battleships and carriers ive painted! I like to add the little bit of history and variety of unit types. I agree the furious wouldn’t me the same without the designation underneath it.

No, the o.o.b crusiers in AA aren’t really big enough to mess with and make into a carrier that could hold on two aircraft (would be cool tho just like the brits did in history) .  my mods were all done off a OOB US wasp class carrier. The HMS Eagle was the obb wasp as well.  If you couldn’t recognize it was a US carrier then I did my job correctly!

• Jwo,

Now there’s some quality painting and patients! It puts mine to shame. It must of taken you many weeks to do these. It would look wicked on the AnA board!

Well done,

BH

• On a scale of one to ten these get an eleven  :-D
    All I have to do now is hire you to make my game really come to life.Guarantee you’ll have me broke. :wink:

• thanks Bravehart and Charles de Gaulle, glad you guys enjoyed the work here I am showing  :-)

• So I continue with my concentration on British carrier power.  The brits sure had some ugly looking carriers lol.  The two carriers I have painted are the Hermes and Illustrious.  This one I found interesting, the HMS Hermes.  It was commission during ww1 but wasn’t finished till after the great war.  Was later refitted for ww2 but was still considered “out dated” but necessity dictated her action!  She had a MASSIVE super island structure…which almost looks like she will tip over by a strong gust of wind. 
    My construction for the Hermes was again built off a OOB US carrier Wasp class. I used some puddy filler to build up the side walls of the haul, and sanded the front to a nice tip at the bow of the ship as it has more of a boat shape for a carrier deck. The island was a extended glued island from the wasp class carrier, and the top tower I snipped off the back of a Royal oak british BB. I also added the sea plane retrieval crane which is quite a dominate feature on the back of the ship tower. Finally snipped off some county class cruiser turrets to add as the ships forward and rear AA guns.  Was a fun mod to play with and I am happy with the result. Hope you guys enjoy!

hms hermes3.jpg
    hms hermes close2.jpg

• hms hermes comp.png

• hms hermes med.jpg
    hms hermes med2.png

• hms illus clos.jpg
    hms illus clos2.jpg

• hms illus med.jpg
    hms illus med2.jpg

• IMG_4118.jpg
    hms brit naval.jpg

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

jwo, how long does it take you to paint and trick out one ship?

These ships are so impressive.

Superb job on these. :-)

• @John:

Thanks John.  some of the mod ships take the longest…usually about two evenings at home 3 hrs each…so 6 total.  They may look like they take awhile with all the little accessories and stuff but its not that bad.  Then just the regular painted pieces I can get done in a bout a hour or so.  Back ends up going first as I’m sure you know to JB! hunched over a table long enough painting these little pieces haha.  You resume any more work on your personal armies JB?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@jwo1984:

@John:

Thanks John.  some of the mod ships take the longest…usually about two evenings at home 3 hrs each…so 6 total.  They may look like they take awhile with all the little accessories and stuff but its not that bad.  Then just the regular painted pieces I can get done in a bout a hour or so.  Back ends up going first as I’m sure you know to JB! hunched over a table long enough painting these little pieces haha.  You resume any more work on your personal armies JB?

jwo, unfortunately my wife has taken over my painting space, but with in the next couple months, I’m going to resume painting.

Fortunately, Spitfire has just completed the UK Pacific, and it is terrific. He will post some pictures, soon. When he’s done I will post some pictures on my metal map, as well. :-D

• Exquisite!  :-D You ought to sell some of these no joke. I am sure you can get a lot of money for them on eBay for instance.

• @Charles:

Exquisite!  :-D You ought to sell some of these no joke. I am sure you can get a lot of money for them on eBay for instance.

Thanks Charles, glad you think they are worthy enough for something like that.  I just am a history buff and like the accuracy and historical reference of certain units! makes the game more fun.

• This is why France should have its own units  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m