• I have a fave used bookstore here in Toronto that from time to time has some real gems, for $9.99 I scored a mint copy of a table top book/biography, ‘German U-Boat Ace Adalbert Schnee . The Patrols Of U-201 In World War II’ -
    fantastic book about one of Germanys finest U-Boat commanders to survive the war. its filled with a lot of informative photogaphs of his u-boat service and his time serving besides Donitz before being given a Type XXI at the end of the war, and his life after the war. a nice big book, as informative as a large picture book can be and a must for anyone with a love for all things U-Boat.
    its written by Luc Braeuer

• '17 '16

@BIG:

I have a fave used bookstore here in Toronto that from time to time has some real gems, for $9.99 I scored a mint copy of a table top book/biography, ‘German U-Boat Ace Adalbert Schnee . The Patrols Of U-201 In World War II’ -
    fantastic book about one of Germanys finest U-Boat commanders to survive the war. its filled with a lot of informative photogaphs of his u-boat service and his time serving besides Donitz before being given a Type XXI at the end of the war, and his life after the war. a nice big book, as informative as a large picture book can be and a must for anyone with a love for all things U-Boat.
    its written by Luc Braeuer

Imagine how the Battle for the Atlantic would have been if Germany had Type-XXI’s a few years earlier…

• Just started The First Total War, by David A. Bell…Napoleon’s Europe and the Birth of Warfare as We Know It.

• Sounds like a good book, Worsham.
    I put down Beevor’s Stalingrad, before Christmas amd have not picked it up again. Trying to rea the rules of Pendragon’s Waterloo. Is designed by an Italian and is hard going.

• '20 '19 '18

I’ve been fascinated by WWII since childhood (a long time ago) and have read too many great books on the subject to offer a complete list. Here are a few standouts, though:

The Last Flight of Bomber 31 by Ralph Wetterhahn–If you’ve never read anything about the war in the Bering Sea/Aleutians, start here.

Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot by Starr Smith–Jimmy Stewart wasn’t just a great actor; he was a great American. This book details his military service. Great stuff.

The Last Lion by William Manchester with Paul Reid–A hefty, three-volume bio of Winston Churchill. Volume III covers 1940-65, but Vol.II, 1932-40, is an absolutely fascinating look at Churchill’s battle with short-sighted British politicians who, in their desperate quest to prevent another world war, steadfastly refused to take steps to stop Hitler before he became a grave threat.

The Mantle of Command: FDR at War, 1941-1942 by Nigel Hamilton–I’d always been told that FDR was a successful CinC because he maintained a largely hands-off approach to his generals and admirals, allowing the warfighters to develop strategy and carry it out. I was lied to. This book was an eye-opener. Haven’t read the sequel yet, but it’s high on my list.

Torpedo Junction: U-Boat War off America’s East Coast, 1942 by Homer Hickam–Another aspect of WWII often glossed over in public school is the war which took place along America’s shoreline. This book works for me on a couple of levels. First, it details the role played by the US Coast Guard early in the war. Second, it’s a classic case of command failure: on the US side, a failure to comprehend the magnitude of the U-boat threat, and on the German side, a failure to comprehend the magnitude of the opportunity.

Next on my list is Engineers of Victory by Paul Kennedy, followed by David Faber’s Munich, 1938. I’ll post my thoughts on each when I’m done.

• Thanks for those recommendations Pripet. I have just bought Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot by Starr Smith.

• '20 '19 '18

@Private:

Thanks for those recommendations Pripet. I have just bought Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot by Starr Smith.

My pleasure, Pvt. You picked a good one, IMO. Enjoy!

• Just picked up a biography on Napoleon Bonaparte.

• '17 '16 '15

@ABWorsham:

Just picked up a biography on Napoleon Bonaparte.

I should read more on Napoleon. Richard Sharpe novels is where I have got most of my information. : )

Can’t remember if I asked you if you read “Lee Considered” AB

It’s a more critical look of General Lee, but thought it made some good points.

Probably mentioned this to you as well, but Edward Porter Alexander’s “Fighting for the Confederacy” is an exceptional read and one that I would recommend to anyone interested in the American Civil War.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

recently finished Churchill’s history of the second world war.  available on youtube of all places.  i listen while i deliver.  very good.  also trying to finish The Histories by Herodotus.

• @barney:

@ABWorsham:

Just picked up a biography on Napoleon Bonaparte.

I should read more on Napoleon. Richard Sharpe novels is where I have got most of my information. : )

Can’t remember if I asked you if you read “Lee Considered” AB

It’s a more critical look of General Lee, but thought it made some good points.

Probably mentioned this to you as well, but Edward Porter Alexander’s “Fighting for the Confederacy” is an exceptional read and one that I would recommend to anyone interested in the American Civil War.

I have not yet, however I’m looking forward to picking up the book. Thanks for the suggestion.

• '20 '19 '18

Just finished Paul Kennedy’s Engineers of Victory: The Problem Solvers Who Turned the Tide in the Second World War. It’s a fascinating read, detailing the obstacles the Allies had to overcome in order to win the war and how they did it. Kennedy breaks the obstacles down into five chapters:

1. How to Get Convoys Safely Across the Atlantic
    2. How to Win Command of the Air
    3. How to Stop a Blitzkreig
    4. How to Seize an Enemy-Held Shore
    5. How to Defeat the “Tyranny of Distance”

I learned a great deal from this book (for example, I didn’t know that from 1943-45, roughly 75% of U-boats sunk were killed by Allied aircraft) and thoroughly enjoyed the read. I also found it quite thought-provoking, from an A&A standpoint. If you’re looking for inspiration/ideas for new house rules, particularly for R&D, read this book. If you play Global 1940 (or just Pacific 1940) and find yourself struggling to develop a coherent strategy for the Pacific theater, read this book (chapter 5 in particular).

Two additional notes about Engineers of Victory: First, the Introduction may seem a bit dense and off-putting. As I read it, I thought, “this book is going to be a bit of a slog, isn’t it?” Happily, my first impression was completely wrong. The book only gets better from there, so don’t let the intro deter you.

Second, the chapters are quite long, about 70 pages each. Fortunately, the author has broken them up with sub-headers, which make for good stopping points.

Overall, I’d rate Engineers of Victory a must-read, one that expertly fills in the gap between stories of tactical-level combat (e.g., Band of Brothers) and grand strategy/memoir (Churchill’s The Second World War, Patton’s War As I Knew It, et al).

• I’m currently reading,The Vanquished, Why The First World War Failed to End

• Unlikely Warrior, by Georg Rauch. The memoirs of an Austrian soldier who fought in the Ukraine and Romania in 1943-44, and was captured by the Russians in summer of 44. Highly recommended!

• Armageddon by Max Hastings. It chronicles the Battle for Germany 1944 to 45. I have praised Hastings before on this forum and this is another great book from him.

• I own that PP.
    Did you see that Beevor has written an Arnhem? It is out in May. Will be buying it, as I live that subject.

• Customizer

Hastings’ Nemesis for the end of the Pacific War; particularly interesting for the complex double-dealing in China, for example a huge percentage of American supplies sent to China were sold directly to the Japanese army.

• Let me know what you think of it witt. Beevor is another master.

Nemesis was the last Hastings I read Flashman. As always the author sheds light and clarity by cutting through accepted truths and looking at the facts!

• '20 '19 '18

Just finished Munich, 1938 by David Faber. A very worthwhile read, IMO. For those who think Hitler enjoyed the full support of the German people and army, this book will be an eye-opener. Likewise, those who think Chamberlain was merely short-sighted in his quest for peace will learn what a dangerously foolish, vain and untrustworthy man he was. The book’s money quote on Chamberlain comes from a Labour Party leader:

“Within the limits of his intelligence, he [Chamberlain] is rational, but it is shocking how narrow those limits are.”

All in all, Munich, 1938 is a thoroughly-researched, well-written account of the British (and French) betrayal of Czechoslovakia and squandering of the last real chance for peace in Europe.

• Just got Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger in the mail.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m