• I need a new strategy for the axis i play germany and russia always builds 10 infantry every turn in moscow then has 40 to prevent me from invasion and how can you prevent the usa to build a massive fleet in the pacific the the atlantic �

• Sponsor

Germany could take everything around Moscow and still squeeze Russia like a Python. Let them stack and turtle while you collect every German national objective possible, you’re guaranteed to have more fun during the game than him.

• i tried that the us jumps in with the british to take out germany and italy and the us has a massive fleet they have every ship out on the game they liberate france to help and u can compete with the us econmy

• Try Dark Skies if Russia turtles down.  Build four bombers a round in addition to a few mech infantry for cannon fodder.  You can hold him to Moscow with the bomber threat, crush any Naval forces approaching Germany, and then help out down in Africa when the opportunity presents itself.  The Allies will need to respond with a huge amount of spending in the Atlantic, allowing Japan to run unchecked.

• Welcome zman

I play Germany with a deluted version of dark skies.  Not quite as many bombers as Arthur suggests but still enough to pound on any entrenched target.  I find that if I build 1 or 2 bomber for the first 4/5 rounds, I usually have enough to do what I need.  If the Soviets turtle, take the other cities and build infintry and artillery there.  Surround Moscow for the seige.  Let your mechanised unit run wild sucking up the ipc’s from Russia and the middle east.  Let the Japanese have the eastern Soviet territories but threaten India with the mobile German units.  Just threaten them unles they cave in and allow you to take it.  Once you see that you have the Soviets bottles up in Moscow and you are bombing the stuffings out of them every round.  You won’t need that much there to hold them in.  You already have two of the victory cities that you need.  Redirect your builds to West Germany and the French coasts.  Get troops up to Norway.  Even a few at a time.  If you are losing bomber in your SBR’s of Moscow, build some more. You should need fewer and fewer with each turn you pound Moscow.  Keep the new bombers in the West.  Help the Italians take Gibralter.  resist the allies as long as you need to so sew up Moscow then build for the next phase…getting the last couple of cities.  Sounds easy but the implementation in the right timing is what makes the game fun.

• An all out Russian infantry build can make it impossible to take Moscow. But look at the bright side. You will make 15 IPCs from Russian NOs, 20 plus IPCs from Russian territories, up to 12 from middle East and will be able to help Italy if necessary. As mentioned by others, bombers are excellent in somewhat large numbers.

• '19 '17 '16

I employ a similar strategy to Dafyd, except that I always try to get a small Italian force grounded in Romania before the Axis declares war on the USSR. It can help to clear out some blockers (allowing German tanks to blitz) and potentially break out into the Middle East.

• i have tried all of that the usa always spends everything in the pacific and knows out japan with the british in india and china allways fights back the brits fight to the death in africa because of south africa

• If US is spending full Pac then Germany should be running wild.

• If US is going 100% Pacific and UK is running wild in Africa, Germany only has to deal with Russia. Easy win.

• zman, As Charles de Gaulle pointed out, you may not have captured Moscow right away, but you should have most of the required axis victory cities.  The trick is the last two or so.  Besiege Moscow until your Russion factories supply enough infintry and artillery to finally storm Moscow.  You will be making so much more than he will be.  You will be able to spend on navy and bombers.  The navy blocks and attacks allied ships attempting to land.  German u-boats should be sitting in SZ109 convoying the UK.  Surface ships with bomber and fighter cover should make every appraoch risky. The bombers pound London with SBR attacks.  If the the allied focus is on the pacific side and even if they should bottle up Japan, that is not an allied victory.  Two axis capitols have to fall before it is an allied victory.  If Germany is making as much as you should be by swollowing up Soviet territory and the middle east; Germany can afford to help Italy in the Med. as well.  The object is the victory cities.  Do what you need to take and then hold them. You may feel overwelhmed at the moment but a few games under your belt and reading the forum’s suggestions will help you get a feel for the game.  Besides, half the fun of the game is trying to figure out what to do in the face of impossible (improbable) odds.  HAve fun.

• The Red Turtle ™ is difficult to break quickly, so pivot from the mid game victory most Axis scripts are designed for to the long play victory of strangling Russia and stymieing the Allies with your economic growth.

Simply let them play turtle while you eat up the free IPC from Russia.  Eventually you’ll have to sack their capitol, but you can basically neutralize them until you’re ready to do so after you’ve secured Europe from the eventual Allied landing parties.

Brace yourself for an epic 10-12+ round game at that point.  Its really a rather boring game when the Red Turtle is employed.  Necessary for the Allies, but boring none the less.

• The Eatsern Front is not a great theater. I wish the game would allow for more action in this area.

• @Charles:

The Eatsern Front is not a great theater. I wish the game would allow for more action in this area.

Well as it stands there are only two choices - counter attack and trade units that are 50% as strong (Roll @1 vs Roll @2) or just keep drawing Germany in and hope to dice them in the first two rounds when losses are the heaviest.

When I first started - Russia was much more fun to play as or against because I hadn’t developed a min/max script that I now employ.  Now - I just buy 10 INF + 1 ARM for the first 2-3 rounds and retreat every starting unit.  If Germany looks thin for whatever reason, I’ll buy 8 ART and 1 INF the final two rounds so the Germans have to seriously consider if standing next to Moscow is a good idea or not.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t - typically it depends how much Germany is relying on Air Power to sack Moscow.

Having 60 INF and 24 ART on Moscow is something to seriously consider for the Germans.  Even a successful strafe could buy Moscow multiple turns.

• Do you ever buy artillery early? It can make it hard for Germany to attack Baltic States Poland or Bessarabia.

• @Charles:

Do you ever buy artillery early? It can make it hard for Germany to attack Baltic States Poland or Bessarabia.

I’ve never been a fan of trading multiple units (casualties during attack and remaining as defenders) for a 1 IPC or no value territory when Germany can come in over the top to ensure only a single round of combat when mine units defend.

To me, it makes it a rather dicey game (no pun intended).  I’d rather be statistically closer to the odds by rolling lots of dice than rolling only a few dice and coming away with nothing to show for it.

I would much rather wait for 18-24 ART pairing up with 60 or so INF for one big swing - and even that’s a bit… dangerous.  Again, it depends on the situation and the terrain.  If Germany is waiting for INF/MEC reinforcements for fodder or there’s a gap in those showing up for a turn I might swing with the stack just so my defending roll in Moscow gets into the ARM earlier.

• I have always had trouble with purchasing the rift units for Russia. Particularly when Germany goes (or fakes) Sea lion.

• @Spendo02:

@Charles:

Do you ever buy artillery early? It can make it hard for Germany to attack Baltic States Poland or Bessarabia.

I’ve never been a fan of trading multiple units (casualties during attack and remaining as defenders) for a 1 IPC or no value territory when Germany can come in over the top to ensure only a single round of combat when mine units defend.

To me, it makes it a rather dicey game (no pun intended).  I’d rather be statistically closer to the odds by rolling lots of dice than rolling only a few dice and coming away with nothing to show for it.

I would much rather wait for 18-24 ART pairing up with 60 or so INF for one big swing - and even that’s a bit… dangerous.  Again, it depends on the situation and the terrain.  If Germany is waiting for INF/MEC reinforcements for fodder or there’s a gap in those showing up for a turn I might swing with the stack just so my defending roll in Moscow gets into the ARM earlier.

Certainly enough artillery to pose an offensive threat.

And aircraft allow “light trading” to be worthwhile.

• Splendo02,

If you did this turtle strategy why wouldn’t Germany just SBR you so much you could never actually build or were spending so much on repairs that it took a chunk of your money.

• That is one of Germany’s best options. The problem is that Russia can have a ton of units before you can even start bombing moscown

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m