• Founder TripleA Admin

I’ve been talking to the TripleA team about storage. I think I’ve convinced DanVanAtta that we should try to integrate a bring your own cloud storage solution. The idea is that if you use Dropbox or Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, then store your TripleA files there. Then in forum posts (or email), just include a link to the file. The backup would be to post here on A&A.org.

• TripleA

@djensen - The only downside of the personal cloud is if someone deletes their save games then all the links are broken and games are gone. The benefit of uploading them to a server somewhere is they can live forever and people can always reference them.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@redrum:

@djensen - The only downside of the personal cloud is if someone deletes their save games then all the links are broken and games are gone. The benefit of uploading them to a server somewhere is they can live forever and people can always reference them.

That’s a good point but users can delete them here too. Also, for a long period of time, I had to delete old save games because they were taking up too much space. Do these games need to live forever?

• TripleA

So it would be nice to have all the final saves live forever but the intermediate ones really don’t matter after its over since you can use the history on the final one. It is nice to be able to go back and see all the games for various maps especially tournaments.

• '15

@redrum:

So it would be nice to have all the final saves live forever but the intermediate ones really don’t matter after its over since you can use the history on the final one. It is nice to be able to go back and see all the games for various maps especially tournaments.

I 100% support this. Being able to see a backlog of games is very nice to do. And you only need the final save to see the entire history.

• @teslas:

@redrum:

I 100% support this. Being able to see a backlog of games is very nice to do. And you only need the final save to see the entire history.

I also agree.

• '19 '18 '17 '16

I have gmail and don’t use any cloud storage. As long as you give instructions on how to do it I’m ok with it.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

There is no need to let the saves live for ever. They can be deleted yearly as far as I am concerned

• '15

Realistically, you look at even the most interesting and instructive games, and you’ll never see more than 3-5 downloads of any given turn.  People don’t go back and look at them.  Deleting them after a certain period of time is fine.

• TripleA

The problem today is trying to search for example games is pretty much impossible. The search on the forum doesn’t work well at all.

• '18 '16 '15

@redrum:

The problem today is trying to search for example games is pretty much impossible. The search on the forum doesn’t work well at all.

You’d probably have to store the games in a separate database with the metadata added somehow (as year the game was played, names of the players, league rankings of the players that year, map that was played etc). Would be great to have, but perhaps not that easy to set up…

• '15

@Shin:

Realistically, you look at even the most interesting and instructive games, and you’ll never see more than 3-5 downloads of any given turn.  People don’t go back and look at them.  Deleting them after a certain period of time is fine.

Of any particular given turn, yes, probably. Of the final save (since it has the entire game history anyway)? No. Maybe I’m an outlier, but I look at one or two older games per month.

Deleting all but the final posted saves in a thread will still save you 90%+ storage space.

• Just save the League and Tournament games last turn save file. Then move them out of the Board game page and into a new Archive games page. The games only need to stay in the board game sections for no longer than 6 months after they have finished. The problem is getting an automated system to realise a game is redundant or vacant then too automatically move it and trimm the excess save files and posts. This would make the Board game section for live games only plus whatever time you want them sitting there for.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Post only the final turn in the Results thread.  Easiest place to find them.

• I save each game move on my pc as a backup so really after game is over I don’t mind if my old games are purged if it helps free up space.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I think we’re just going to keep posting files here. I’m using an attached volume for storage and I’ll eventually use something like AWS, maybe Digital Ocean Spaces.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I unpinned it since the discussion is essentially done. But if it comes up again, we have history.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m