• I have been trying to come up with different strategies before I play again. I wanted to know peoples’ thoughts and whether they have tried this before. I did not see any previous posts when I used the search bar.

On G2, after taking Finland on G1 purchasing and placing a Minor Industry on Finland.

I see this as a way to get infantry on the front Soviet lines much more quickly as well as to help defend Norway.

• '19 '17 '16

A minor IC can only be built on a territory with a value of two or higher. Finland isn’t feasible.

Sorry.

• @StuckTojo:

A minor IC can only be built on a territory with a value of two or higher. Finland isn’t feasible.

Sorry.

According to this map picture Finland is a 2:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/wp-content/uploads/aag-huge.jpg

• '19 '17 '16

Ooops, you’re right. I believe I was thinking of a different game.

My apologies.

• '15

If I get to Norway fast enough as the US I’ll build a minor on Finland after taking it (having two minors up there can be great).

As for Germany?  I don’t know if it makes sense.  If the plan is to build infantry, you’re talking G5 before you can even have 3 inf in Leningrad.  Doesn’t seem worth it to me

• '16 '15 '10

Probably sub-optimal.  If you play well you will control the Leningrad factory by G5, and that provides you with most of the benefits of a Finland factory.

Factory purchases are useful for Japan because it only starts the game with 1 island factory.  Germany starts the game with 2 majors and soon controls 2-3 additional minors.  Finland is a good spot for a USA minor but suboptimal for a German minor because Germany doesn’t need additional production in that region.

• Transports would be far more useful for Germany… you could get two for just 2 IPC more, and get more units into Russian territory faster with it, and would be useful after Novogrod is captured as well, plus they’d help project threat on UK, Gibraltar, etc.

• It isn’t very useful. Instead add Finland as a power in my Global 1940 with minor powers house rule. Balanced and fun.

• '15

@SubmersedElk:

Transports would be far more useful for Germany… you could get two for just 2 IPC more, and get more units into Russian territory faster with it, and would be useful after Novogrod is captured as well, plus they’d help project threat on UK, Gibraltar, etc.

Yuuuuuuup. All fantastic points, with one final one: Those two German transports will never be producing allied units, no matter what, whereas the mIC would. The only negative transports have is that they can be destroyed, but even if they only do work 1-2 times in the game, they are still arguably extremely valuable.

• Sponsor

Get to Leningrad and use that IC against any Russian turtle, or American landing in Norway… if Germany were to build an IC, these days I prefer to build it in Greece (if safe to do so). It helps to protect against a Balkans crush strategy from Russia, and it also gives the Axis strong options in the Med.

• Dido what everyone else said.

You should have the Russian minor in Leningrad and prob Ukraine as well a couple turns after you invade Russia, so there really is no need to spend the IPCs up there for redundancy.

You can buy a second German transport for 7 IPCs (cheaper) and move 2 more units (4 tot) through the Baltic and threaten all Russian territories that boarders the Baltic Sea (or even the White Sea sz 127 if you venture out). Besides threatening multiple territories, transports can be used to reinforce or counter attack as well. A 3rd German transport in the water (with some added fleet) will keep the London in a defensive position in the early/mid game too.

Finally as others pointed out a German IC in Scandinavia will quickly draw the attention of the USA. Norway/Finland is already a target, you really don’t want to magnify it IMO.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m