• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@simon33:

@Chris_Henry:

Major in Shanghai, thank you YG! That was always a point of contention for us! My argument was always that you cannot, even though it starts the game in Japanese hands, it isn’t technically considered Japanese originally owned. We would go round and round about this. Glad to get more definitive proof here though!

Surely the definitive proof is in the rulebook.

I don’t recall seeing it there. Nothing that definitively says you can’t build a Major on Shanghai. If you’re so sure though, I’d love for you to point it out to me.

• @Chris_Henry:

@simon33:

@Chris_Henry:

Major in Shanghai, thank you YG! That was always a point of contention for us! My argument was always that you cannot, even though it starts the game in Japanese hands, it isn’t technically considered Japanese originally owned. We would go round and round about this. Glad to get more definitive proof here though!

Surely the definitive proof is in the rulebook.

I don’t recall seeing it there. Nothing that definitively says you can’t build a Major on Shanghai. If you’re so sure though, I’d love for you to point it out to me.

Indeed it is.

@rulebook:

Major industrial
    complexes can only be built on originally controlled (not
    captured) territories with an IPC value of 3 or higher.

Kiangsu is originally controlled by China, so there is no way for Japan to build a major IC there.

• '19 '17 '16

You also need to refer to the China Rules:

@p10:

China and its units are controlled by one of the Allied
    players, but for game purposes it is considered a separate
    power and its resources cannot be mixed with those of
    other Allied powers. Chinese territories on the game board
    have a Nationalist Chinese emblem on them. Some of these
    territories begin the game already under Japanese control.
    They still are considered Chinese territories for purposes of
    original ownership

Otherwise it would be a local rule.

• The only place Japan can build a major is Korea.

• @simon33:

You also need to refer to the China Rules:

Otherwise it would be a local rule.

In fact there is no need to refer to the China rules.
    Most important is that the roundel printed on the territory indicates the ‘original controller’.
    And this is a general rule stated on page 8 of the Europe as well as Pacific rulebook.
    This is valid regardless of who is the current owner. What makes those Chinese territories special
    is that Japan has already conquered them at the beginning of the game.

For arguing whether a Japanese Major IC is allowed or not the roundel (indicating the original controller) just is enough!

@rulebook:

When the rules refer
    to the “original controller” of a territory, they mean the
    power whose emblem is printed on the territory.
    (A few
    territories in China have a Chinese emblem on them but are
    controlled by Japan at the start of the game. These territories
    are considered to belong to China originally, but have been
    captured by Japan.)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Thank you for the quote Simon! I must have missed that reading through!

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you that the emblem on the territory makes sense, but you could see how that could leave a gray area (outside of what Simon just pointed out to me) and debate on the subject without a definitive explanation (which, again, Simon’s quote shows).

Thanks!

• Agreed. I was not saying that Simon’s quote was wrong or not helpful.

All I said was that the decision whether a Major IC is allowed (here for Japan) is determined by the original controller (emblem) of that territory.
    As it is on the complete map.

The Chinese rules in this context do serve as a more in-deep explanation. And they explain why it is possible, that Japan occupies Chinese territories right from the start.
    :-)

• @Young:

• Units that the UK purchases with Calcutta money may not move into the Europe side of the map.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that UK purchases from the Pacific economy can only be mobilized on the Pacific board of the map, or that Calcutta units cannot move onto the Europe board?

I ask because I’d be very surprised if it were the later. I’m new here and I’m anything less than a novice at A&A, but I was always under the impression that you could move all the UK units anywhere on the board. Am I misreading your point? Also, I watch your videos and I can’t wait until you post your Top 10.

• '19 '17 '16

He’s saying that the above is one of the popular misconceptions.

• You may not mix Chinese resources (units) with that of other nations.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m