• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061007/ap_on_re_us/plant_fire_evacuation_34

APEX, N.C. - More than 17,000 people were urged to flee their homes on the outskirts of Raleigh early Friday after a thunderous series of explosions and a raging fire at a hazardous-waste disposal plant released a plume of thick black smoke and a yellow cloud of noxious gases.

About 15 miles from my home.  EQ was both a competitor and a vendor.  We used their facility as a disposal transfer point for bulky non-haz waste (empty drums and tanks, and some oily sludge from wash pits that were extremely high solid content).  Last night’s explosion played havoc with some of our work schedules and routing.  And the fallout will be weeks or months to repair.

The good news is that the only licensed TSDF in the region is now MY COMPANY :-)

Of course the bad news is that for MONTHS we are going to not have 2 visits per month from DEHNR and EPA to inspect us, but probably 2 per WEEK (or more).

• @ncscswitch:

The good news is that the only licensed TSDF in the region is now MY COMPANY :-)

Of course the bad news is that for MONTHS we are going to not have 2 visits per month from DEHNR and EPA to inspect us, but probably 2 per WEEK (or more).

I guess even clouds of noxious gas have a silver lining. Sorta.  :-)

• No one died.

And it is not like EQ had a great track record (they had a facility blow up last year in Michigan, and they were fined $32,000 for “serious safety violations that could result in a catastrophic event” earlier this year.  (Hhhmmm, EPA apparently had THAT one pegged!)

I doubt EQ will recover form this.  SELL YOUR STOCK!

I do expect a HUGE number of new regulations to be proposed following this incident though, at least in NC.  and if any number of them pass… sorry folks, but your costs at the local repair shop and for most manufactured goods are going to go up, right along with our prices to our customers in order to pay for the new regs, which they then will pass along to you as increased environmental, shop and disposal, and other fees.

• When I first read about that story, I thought of you Switch.  You’re the only person I know of in NC, lol.

• There are a number of us…

Bebo is only about 30 minutes from here in Durham.  JSP is in Charlotte.

Us North Carolinians are among the best rated Gamers here :-P

• @ncscswitch:

Us North Carolinians are among the best rated Gamers here :-P

I wish I could say the same for California.  :-(

• Y’all would be doing better, except Tri keeps pulling out of Tournaments, and IL is tied up with the AHRE rules development…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m