First A&A global game, turn 3; thoughts on how I'm doing so far?

• So I picked Japan thinking I knew how to play it. But my previous experience with Axis and Allies (the first version) was 15 years ago, as a kid. From reading a few threads on the forum I think I made some mistakes. I did a J3 declaration of war. Consensus here seems to be J2, even J1. �

I’ve made a collage of the pacific map and included the link in this post (can’t post the image directly here since my post count is too low)

China just played, so it’s UK’s turn.

How does it look? I think I can take Calcutta on J7. Not sure if Russia is going to attack. Also not sure if the United States plan to take the Caroline Islands, or move up to threaten Japan and force my fleet to retreat.

http ://postimg. org/image/7yt1uwpm1/full/ (remove 2 spaces)

• Sponsor

Can’t seem to bring it up… If you email me the picture at cliffsidebunker@outlook. com I will post it here for you.

• @Young:

Can’t seem to bring it up… If you email me the picture at cliffsidebunker@outlook. com I will post it here for you.

Just emailed it to you, thanks!

• You definitely need to take the money islands…that’s 20 IPC’s that you’re missing out on, while ANZAC makes 22 and India makes 18…

• @calvinhobbesliker:

You definitely need to take the money islands…that’s 20 IPC’s that you’re missing out on, while ANZAC makes 22 and India makes 18…

Depending on what UK does next, I’m taking 3 of them on J4. Sumatra on J5. I’m considering a Malaya amphibious assault on J4 also if UK takes his planes or infantry units away on UK3.

• Sponsor

@Koobs:

@Young:

I got your file, but unfortunately it’s too large for attachments here, it seems though that some are viewing it no problem.

• '17 '16 '15

Hi Koobs

Wasn’t able to see your map but if UK has his planes in Malaya I would take’em out. It’ll be hard for him to replace. If he does it’ll be at the expense of Egypt. I like to wack Singapore first so ANZAC can’t get their bonus and then mop up the islands.

Anyway sounds like you’re having fun. :)

• '15

J3 is also “doable”. Don’t ever feel like you’re making mistakes. Just get in there and try some stuff out and murder some dudes that have a different color than your dudes. It took me 5-6 full games before I even had the slightest shred of a decent mental framework for how to play 1940, and that’s after a dozen or so games of 1942.

The best way to remember a lesson is to have it burned into your mind by regret, dread, or sweet victory. You’ll know what to try and what to avoid in the future. It was another 20 or so games until I felt even remotely confident.

And I loved every damn, horrible one of those games.

I’d even suggest not even reading what all of us old, crufty bastards have to say about the game until after your first few.

• @Young:

@Koobs:

@Young:

I got your file, but unfortunately it’s too large for attachments here, it seems though that some are viewing it no problem.

Weird, some people here seem to be able to see it, while others can’t. I sent a .jpeg file to you under the 1.5 mb forum limit, so it should work this time. Thanks!

• Sponsor

@Koobs:

@Young:

@Koobs:

@Young:

Weird, some people here seem to be able to see it, while others can’t. I sent a .jpeg file to you under the 1.5 mb forum limit, so it should work this time. Thanks!

Strange…, I’m getting the “file to large” error message for that one too.

• @Young:

@Koobs:

@Young:

@Koobs:

@Young:

Strange…, I’m getting the “file to large” error message for that one too.

Oh well, thanks for trying! Not sure what’s going on with all these image issues.

But like some have said in this thread, what’s important is that I’m really having fun, and I’m learning a lot. It might just be preferable I live the game to the fullest by being fully immersed in it, instead of taking in feedback from a lot of experienced players and not be totally responsible of my moves.

• Agreed that it is trial and error (mostly error). If you haven’t already done so check out Young Grasshopper’s philosophy videos on Japan. He has done videos for all the powers, and they will help you get your feet wet.

here is the link:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=35391.0

PS:
    These videos are getting pushed back in the thread, so newer users will not be seeing them (YG’s intention when making them was as an aid to new players/users). They are well done, and would help new players like koobs. I see that some of YG’s other work explaining the mechanics and rules have been put into a sticky. I think these philosophy videos should also be collected and put into one sticky as a training tool. Because this is the work of YG, he should be the one to suggest it. Possibly create a poll for it, or contact IL by E-mail (I think he is still the mod).

• Ah man… it’s not looking so good. The US fleet off Hawaii looks like it can take you, and in my experience that’s never a good position to be in for Japan. Unfortunately, you have fallen into the trap that is China. For future games, don’t go all in for China until you’ve taken Calcutta. It’s just a huge cesspit that devours Japanese ground units and does nothing to help you win. There are no victory cities there for you to grab, and because there is no capital China is the easiest Allied power to bring back into the game. Also as Japan you want to grab SOME, not necessary all, of the money islands the turn that you go to war. I prefer a J2 DOW and grab Borneo, Kwangtung, and Malaya, as I’m a firm believer of storming Calcutta as soon as you possibly can.

In your current position, I would finish off China since you’re already so deep and there’s very little Chinese units left. I would focus all of my ground efforts in southeast Asia with the ultimate aim of taking Calcutta, and going on the defensive in the Pacific. For me this would mean huddling everything I can into SZ6, with a full scramble waiting to go on Japan itself, and then basically waiting for the opportune moment to strike. You’re definitely in it for the long haul at this point, it may be too late to get the money islands. Good luck!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m