• Japan would make a more valuable ally if it rearmed.

?

• yes and with the north korean threat….

• Not really… :-? I don’t see much need for them to rearm. :-?

• what TG, would you feel threatend? :o

• By Japan? Probably not. And they are our Allies… I don’t really see where you’re getting at… :-? They have become a superpower without a large military. Having one would mean higher taxes, possibility with a arms race with other Asian countreis, draining resources, ect.

• no good can come of an increase in arms in the world.

• I don’t see why Japan should rearm.

• Japan is not threatened by anyone. Why should it rearm? Weapons aren’t everything you know.

• @Yanny:

Japan is not threatened by anyone. Why should it rearm? Weapons aren’t everything you know.

exactly.
    and yet Canada is criticized daily by Americans for not funding its military enough (although it is quite well funded - just not relative to its GDP) - but like Japan - why should we? No one is threatening us (well, except for Al Queda - NOW), and no one really wants to invade this place ('cept maybe the US . . . ).

• Japan doesn’t need to increase its military, the US is their protection.

CC, not that I want a debate on the unfunded Canadian military, However, you should take a walk through the PPLI 2 barracks here in the city and see the conditions there and then say whether or not there is a lack of funds.
    It looks like a Mexican hostile in there :lol:

• @Mr:

Japan doesn’t need to increase its military, the US is their protection.

CC, not that I want a debate on the unfunded Canadian military, However, you should take a walk through the PPLI 2 barracks here in the city and see the conditions there and then say whether or not there is a lack of funds.
    It looks like a Mexican hostile in there :lol:

I did read that if we looked at raw dollars put into the military then Canada looks quite good relative to the rest of Nato. We are next to last if you look at relative to the GDP . . . .
    w.r.t. PPCLI 2 barracks - it’s like health care. Just because the money is there does not mean that it is being well spent. Besides, isn’t most of the PPCLI moved out to Brandon anyway? I thought they were looking to offload the barracks in the city.
    Personally i’m not sure if the military needs more funding or not. In a way i would like to see a more respectable showing of ourselves, but the Mennonite in me says that the money should be spent elsewhere.

• exactly.
    and yet Canada is criticized daily by Americans for not funding its military enough (although it is quite well funded - just not relative to its GDP) - but like Japan - why should we? No one is threatening us (well, except for Al Queda - NOW), and no one really wants to invade this place ('cept maybe the US . . . ).

I’m sure USA can look after Canada anyways. Wait… oh… yeah… we’re Americans… we’re not suppose to care about Canada… :-?

• would you like the Canadian Military lookiing over the US?

• @cystic:

Personally i’m not sure if the military needs more funding or not. In a way i would like to see a more respectable showing of ourselves, but the Mennonite in me says that the money should be spent elsewhere.

go Mennonite!

Spend it on protecting fisheries, spend it on astrophysics, spend it on feeding the penniless in Toronto, spend it on the Inuit, spend it not on Hydro Quebec, invest it in nonfossil fuel energy development, spend it on tourism marketing… or save it for a rainy day.

• @TG:

exactly.

I’m sure USA can look after Canada anyways. Wait… oh… yeah… we’re Americans… we’re not suppose to care about Canada… :-?

the only reason that Canadians would have anything to worry about militarily, is the existance and foreign policy of America. That, participating in peacekeeping missions, and defending our fishing rights, are the only reasons for us to “need” a military.

And ZZZ
    You forgot about healthcare (as per the Romanow and Kirby reports), but otherwise good on ya’ man.

• sorry for further derailing this interesting thread - just moments after my last post i read an article put forth by “Polaris” - an economic think tank that suggested exactly what i did - that money be moved into Healthcare and other social programs rather than the military.
    (by the way - Canada spends $12.3 billion/year on the military - 6th in NATO, however we have a population of only 30 million people).

• Oh my god!

CC double posted!

• @GeZe:

would you like the Canadian Military lookiing over the US?

No, I would like the Canadian military looking over THEMSELVES. Hypothetically, if they were attacked by someone, they don’t have a big enough army to retaliate against many countries out there. Who would end up taking up arms against their enemy and avenging the attack? You guessed it…the US.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

@GeZe:

would you like the Canadian Military lookiing over the US?

No, I would like the Canadian military looking over THEMSELVES. Hypothetically, if they were attacked by someone, they don’t have a big enough army to retaliate against many countries out there. Who would end up taking up arms against their enemy and avenging the attack? You guessed it…the US.

That’s what I’ve been saying……you gotta love the good old US of A. :D

There is no way one can convince me Canada spends too much on their military, that notion is ridiculous.
    The military needs to upgrade to the 21st century.
    Helichopters from 1960 just dosen’t cut it.
    The Canadian military is in the “red” if they continue to take away funds, Canada wil be involved in fewer and fewer “peace keeping” missions and it will severly reduce their international presence.
    There is a hidden cost to Canada if it continues to cripple its military.

I agree with the more money needed for health, but don’t take it from the military!
    As for other social programs…well, what kind of programs are we talking about here.
    I think Canada has to focus more on big business.

• F me in the A……that wasmy post <--------“is dumb”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m