"Oh What a Day, What a Lovely Day!"

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Private:

Yes - but the young ladies were very worth looking at! If they had been young men you might have had less to complain about, Dr Variance, but I would have enjoyed the movie less!

Yes the chickies were cute.  This is true.  :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@variance:

Mad Max Fury Road Official movie review by Dr. variance

Don’t buy it.  The movie is entertaining to watch but unfortunately it was highjacked by hippie bullshit.

:lol: But sad. All too true about more and more movies these days. Conform to the political climates of the day and become transparently preachy at the same time. The sacrifice of art for socio-political commentary.

The movie didn’t interest me to begin with.

• That movie was like two hours of people in “fleets” of various cars from The Wacky Races TV show throwing everything including the kitchen sink at your car. It had the mind numbing impact as another one of those stupid 10 cent comic book movies ( trash like Avengers, X men, Z men).

They need to stop appealing to the lowest common denominator of mental faculties.

I didn’t get any “hippie” thing from it, but anyone can extrapolate anything these days.

• '17

It sounds like the complaint ought to be lazy/cliched/unsubtle writing.

If it’s merely that all the villains are male and oppress women … look at our world and tell me which gender real-life warlords belong to and how they treat real-life women?

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Crazy chase scenes, lunatic bad guys, insane vehicles, hot chic’s, freaky costumes and a flaming guitar was all I hoped to see in this film and I got a sack full. Was kind of exhausted after watching. The first thing I did after the show was take a shower because I felt like I was covered in dirt and gas.

Max was the supporting actor though, give it up to Furiosa!

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I did like the movie and I actually agree with Wheatbeer.  I just get a little sick of every movie being so preachy one way or another.

• Me too Variance. Not a film I would normally choose to see but was taken by my family, so had low expectations. However, if you accept it on its own limited terms it was a lot of fun. I did get the mother-earth connotations but ignored them successfully and just had a laugh.

I also agree with IL about the comic book movies. This had the advantage of human rather than super-human characters, making their plight a little more involving and their journey very much more exciting. I think it also had a lot more imagination and inventiveness thrown in.

And the chicks were cute …… :-)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@wheatbeer:

If it’s merely that all the villains are male and oppress women … look at our world and tell me which gender real-life warlords belong to and how they treat real-life women people?

If you think only Males oppress Women, I have to ask - Are you married?

Better ask your wife if you can play axis this weekend - or not…

• '17

I never said that only men oppress women or that men only oppress women.

I suggested that warlords tend to be men and they tend to oppress women. The implication being that in a film about warlords, this would be expected.

However, your edit is perfectly acceptable though because warlords obviously oppress children and men as well. The film was inspired by that as well since the main antagonist basically runs a child-soldier cult.

For the record, I am married, but not a warlord.  :-P

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESi7uGMNaMs

This was the movie in a nutshell…

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESi7uGMNaMs

This was the movie in a nutshell…

That is sure what the TV spot looked like to me.

Ha, funny 'cause that brings up some childhood memories that had been long forgotten.

• Sponsor

I was really looking forward to this movie for a long time and got my chance to watch it on the weekend in 2D (purposly in order to avoid 3D disapointments that really have nothing to do with the movie itself). Being a huge fan of movies, especially old action movies, I couldn’t help getting gitty over a Road Warrior reboot from the original director with a suitcase full of $$$.

There was lots I like about this new Mad Max film and some things that disapointed. First of all I love Tom Hardy, I think he is the next great actor of our time (although not for this performance alone), his physical acting here was a lot stronger than his dialog, so thank goodness Mad Max is full of action. I’ve seen him in roles that he nailed with perfection, but as Mad Max… Tom Hardy sometimes looks like the Mel Gibson replacment he is. All other roles were good enough to avoid the sharp edge of this critic’s pen.

The action scenes are awesome and they represent 2/3 of the entire film (thats not a bad thing). The chases come at you hard and fast with my favorites being the fist fight between Max and Furiosa, and the final money shot when the good guys were steering not just 1, but 2 war rigs. Although there were attempts to tie together a plot, there was not much time for story… and thats where I found the movie disapointing. Ya it wasn’t that kind of movie, and I really enjoyed the way the story was going (a sense of apocolyptic culture between the tribes and a prisoner breakout joy ride), but the story was where I felt the editing impacted the film (in a bad way) and lost an opportunity to raise the plot to the same hights as the action.

Hopefully there’s a directors cut that will add 20 minutes and show us the relationship between the tribes and the family dynamic between the siblings of Immorton Joe. Personally I fill the story gaps with my imagination and I am satisfied, but when it comes to the action, nothing is left for the imagination. One thing I loved was the tie ins between all the old Mad Max movies like the senior lady pointing the shotgun at Immorton Joe (An obvious link to the first Mad Max with Toecutter), also the tiny music box from the road warrior, and was that really Master Blaster from thunderdome?

One thing I didn’t like was the way the orcistra score drowned out the sound of engines reving, and metal twisting which should have been the real soundtrack of the film. This movie will no doubt go down as one of the best blockbuster action films this decade, although movie goers are so easy to please these days. I was hoping that this would be a game changer and win an oscar for visual effect in order to shift the industry back to practical effects, however, as entertained as I was… I didn’t get the sense that Mad Max Fury Road possessed that kind of revalotionary power. I will buy Mad Max on blue ray and watch it several times for the fun of it all, but maybe I’ll watch “Inception” afterwards to remind me that some films need more than my eyes to understand them.

My rating was 8 out of 10.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

I screwed up the movie time and had to watch it in 3D. This was my first 3D movie I’ve seen in theaters since Ice Pirates I think, back in the 80’s. I wear glasses so I’ve always thought today’s 3D glasses were a pain in the balls but they weren’t bad, just wish they were larger. I kept noticing the frames during the movie. George Miller said he made this movie to favor the 2D experience but the 3D version will “hold it’s own.”

The good news Tom Hardy fans, (myself included) is that last month, he signed on for 3 more Mad Max films!

• Sponsor

@hkytown1:

I screwed up the movie time and had to watch it in 3D. This was my first 3D movie I’ve seen in theaters since Ice Pirates I think, back in the 80’s. I wear glasses so I’ve always thought today’s 3D glasses were a pain in the balls but they weren’t bad, just wish they were larger. I kept noticing the frames during the movie. George Miller said he made this movie to favor the 2D experience but the 3D version will “hold it’s own.”

The good news Tom Hardy fans, (myself included) is that last month, he signed on for 3 more Mad Max films!

I don’t like 3D in theaters for the same reason, frames get in the way of the big screen experience.

Him signing on is just a precautionary obligation actors are asked to do which makes the prospect of additional movies likely. If they want to make more money with a sequel down the road, best to have the actor in your pocket first… it doesn’t mean there will be more, but with the success of Fury Road and the demand for hero/villain action flicks that look like they were ripped from the pages of a graphic novel , it seems like a good bet that there will be.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m