• Am watching Rio Grande (1950). Anyone else a John Ford fan?
    My (English) grandad was a great film buff, so I was brought up watching  black and white films. Dad loved Westerns too. Had them all on video amd am slowly buying my favourites on DVD.

• I might have watched a Ford film or several. I’m a bit partial to “The Quiet Man.”

And it is becoming a bit of a cliche to say so these days but “The Searchers” is a damn fine movie.

We need a John Ford these days. Somebody who could kick the shakey-cam nonsense out of these so called directors we’ve got these days.

• @frimmel:

We need a John Ford these days. Somebody who could kick the shakey-cam nonsense out of these so called directors we’ve got these days.

Ironically, Ford himself made some “shakey-cam” footage when he filmed parts of the actual Battle of Midway (for his eventual 1942 film of the same name) on-site using a hand-held camera.  Smooth camera technique is hard to achieve when building are literally blowing up around you (and are doing so for real, not because they’ve been rigged by a Hollywood special effects crew).

Some of the film’s voiceovers were provided by Henry Fonda, who coincidentally (or perhaps not quite so coincidentally) appeared in the movie Midway 30 years later in the role of Admiral Nimitz (who he had played previously in the early-1960s military melodrama In Harm’s Way).  Fonda does a fine job in Midway, and I get the impression he enjoyed the assignment because of his earlier connection to the real thing.

• Yes Witt, I do the same thing your dad did. Watch them movies all the time.

• I have not seen the Searchers for some years now. but I do like it. It is one that I have on video and have not as yet replaced.
    Thanks Marc for your post and info on Henry Fonda and John Ford. You too, SS.
    Will watch Stagecoach tomorrow, them probably buy another two of his. Although, I have just ordered a biography Of Longstreet. Has been a while since I read a new book on the Civil war and I have never read his biography, despite being his supporter.

• The Blu-ray transfer for “The Searchers” is beautiful.

• I am always one step behind, Frimmel. Blu-ray will be my 2030 thing.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m