THE FIRST BATTLE OF BRITAIN

• wittman and Private Panic are pulling together a first 1942.2 Battle of Britain for 24th May 2015 in Derbyshire, UK.  We have three players and would like two more.  If you wish to join us then do post a response to the copy of this thread in Events.

We’d like to think that this will not be a one-off, so if you cannot do that date but would like to be involved in the future, then do post that as a reply too.

At the moment we are aiming at one game, but who knows what the future holds …

• We currently have six or seven players, including three (or hopefully four) from this forum - Dukla passer, wittman, Private Panic (me!) and hopefully Spirally.

So now intending two games on the 24th May and can accommodate 3 or 4 more players.

I will be finalising arrangements for this event before I go on holiday on 7th April, so can anyone wishing to join us please let me know by 3rd April latest.

Thanks
    PP

• I’m currently based in Manchester so normally this wouldn’t be too difficult for me to get to but unfortunately I’m going on holiday for 2 weeks in the middle of May so can’t do the date.

Nonetheless, hope the event is a success and please do promote any subsequent games as I would be interested.

• Thanks SpitfirED - for this and the message.  Have noted your details as I certainly do hope that the event will be repeated.

To any other players in the UK - do get in touch!

• Hi there,

Ive only recently entered the A&A world, bought 1941, played with some friends but they don’t really get into it or love the strategy as much as me.

So im interested in meeting fans in the UK, I see most of you are far away but you never know! Im in Bath, would like to keep my ear to the ground about possible events but also to try and find people nearer to me!!

• Welcome Poorstudent.
    Glad you like A&A. Keep looking here, like you say, and you might get a game.
    There are games to be had on line, if you are out of ideas. Good luck.

• Hi poorstudent

Welcome to this forum.

I started with 1941 as a Xmas present just 5 months ago.

Soon realised that I’d have to move up to 1942.2 if I was going to play with others on this forum. Am now in the midst of my first 42.2 game “in anger” online against Wittman. Plus hosting this Battle of Britain event.

41 is a great intro to A&A. 42.2 is superior but takes a day to play. I am hoping to repeat the BoB 42.2 event and you will be welcome if you do decide to make the transition.

Cheers
    PP

• To add - just checked the Triple A game s/w and it does include 1941 - so you can play this remotely with members of the forum - which I called “online” in my previous response. Happy to point you in the right direction if you want to pursue this. Also to play a game if you wish.

Cheers
    PP

• Thanks for the response, I have been looking into the triple a online stuff, it is a bit of mystery still but downloading now and I will have a good look at it this weekend!
    I have been reading hat people play over the forum, real games which I guess use an online dice generator? This sounds right up my street and I hope to be able to get it under way soon!

• That’s right poorstudent. It’s a real game in which you each post your turns in the forum. As I said I am on my first one - on round 8 - but will try to answer any questions you have as you go.

You should be following “Gargantua’s KISS Instructions” to download the s/w. You’ll probably try a game against the computer first - although our experienced colleagues can be dismissive of its capabilities. When you want to start a forum game there are instructions for accepting an invitation.

Others know a lot more about this than I do - wittman introduced it to me - but I believe 1941 opponents are thin on the ground here - which is why I offered you a game.

Good luck!

• Sorry but I don’t understand what you mean by any of this :)
    “Gargantua’s KISS Instructions” to download the s/w

• '17 '16 '15

• Thanks barney.

Sorry poorstudent - I assumed that you must have found this.

Anyway - still here to help!

• If I could make it I would be there….Look up in the sky, German aircraft!
    Pull down the blinds shut off the lights and head to the bomb shelter!
    Do try to include photos
    Cheers
    S.A.

• Hey SA!

I’ll aim for some sort of “battle report” although I have as yet no idea of what that might look like, this being my first A&A event. If there is a good example to point me at that would be great.

Not sure whether your post signals you are from the UK, Germany or neither? Let me know if the UK and I’ll add you to the list of potential future participants.

Cheers
    PP

• No I’m in upstate N.Y., I drive to Toronto for the F.M.G.'s event. Its a blast and it adds to your game.
    If I had the money and time I would go to events all over (time to start playing the lottery)
    I’m a WWII freak, and the title for this event is great!
    Good luck and have fun, I hope there is a good size turn out.
    Keep us posted with pictures
    S.A.

• A great time was had by all! An unanimous desire to repeat the event, possibly quarterly, so any other UK players keep your eyes open on this board.

A brief battle report since that seems to be the thing to do. Not checked with anyone else whether they feel this is a fair reflection so they may want to get on this thread and passionately correct me! :-D

Rookies (including me) given Axis. No bids.

Game 1: Credulous and Dukla passer - Allies vs NFP1 (non forum player) and NFP2 - Axis

Declared as an Allied victory. US & UK had achieved dominance against J in the Pacific and taken the money islands. India swapped hands a couple of times, but culminated in a UK victory driving north through Asia.

G failed to take Africa but kept the Allies at bay on all fronts for an extended period, gradually being worn down.

Game 2: wittman - Allies vs Private Panic and NFP3 - Axis

No victory cities taken. J lost two major naval/air engagements to the UK in the Indian Ocean, failing to remove the UK’s carrier or fighters. Darn those dice! Finally got them at the third attempt, but the loss of naval and air materiel dragged J production away from land units for Asia. J and the US at a stand off in the Pacific with huge fleets.

G took Africa, but found itself swapping eastern European rather than Russian territories with R, who retained Asian ipcs J would normally have taken. Big US/UK fleet off western Europe. Would G manage to swing its additional African ipcs against Russia or have them sucked away by US/UK amphibious assaults?

The game ended without finding out, due to time, although wittman (with 25 years of A&A experience) was sure that he had the edge. Private Panic, benefitting from a lack of knowledge to interfere with his preferred reading of the game, believed things to be finely balanced. :-)

• PP has omitted to say that the Axis were tremendously unlucky on T1 and Japan on T2 too. MY R1 went splendidly. I think I lost 4 Inf to take 3 Tts. Germany may have found it hard to establish itself on the Eastern Front, because of my lucky R1.
    The Axis’ woes were heightened when the UK’s cheeky SZ37 attack went better than expected. Again, I think I lost 2 units, wiping out Carrier, 2 Fts and the BB. The cheeky Brit Carrier survive the inevitable Jap counterattack, only losing its supporting CR. The Japs had to retreat after R1, with only a Ft surviving. As it happens, I only lost the brave AC and accompanying Fts, because I forgot Japan came inbetween the  UK and US’s turns and left it off Borneo, thinking the large US fleet would unite with it. Fool!
    Suffice to say, I was sad to see it sink, within reach and moments  of US help.

• Thanks witt for making my excuses better than I did myself! It was a pleasure being beaten / not beaten (delete as applicable!) by you! :-D

• Hopefully I can join one of the next ones! And perhaps followed by one in my country, called Market Garden (or Fall Gelb, depending on which side you play).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m