• I bought the 1st edition of E40 and P40, and so I have a slightly outdated global game. I know that AA guns were changed to AAA which are now colored for each power and aren’t captured anymore. Convoy disruption seems to have changed as well (rolling a die and planes counting instead of just 1 for warships and 2 for subs). What other rules have changed? And am I missing any pieces besides AAA?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

And am I missing any pieces besides AAA?

In terms of actual unit types, no, but the 2nd ed has a lot more nation-specific sculpts than the 1st ed. Italy and ANZAC got a full complement of unique sculpts (including the infantry unit in the case of ANZAC).  Most of the “foreign” equipment pieces that were used by various other powers in the 1st ed were replaced by “domestic” equipment in the 2nd ed; the only gaps that remain to be filled in this regard are the British naval transport and the Russian aircraft carrier (for which domestic units can be obtained fom the 1941 game) and of course the whole French non-infantry equipment set (a gap which, hopefully, will be filled either by HBG when its French set is finally produced or in a hypothetical 3rd ed of the game).  In terms of map differences, the 2nd ed has a national production tracking chart aross the top (which personally I don’t like) and it treats differently the area just east of Alaska.  In the 1st ed, this area consists of two territories (Yukon and B.C.), each marked with a Canadian roundel; in the 2nd ed this area consists of a single territory (Western Canada) that’s marked with a British roundel; the official errata for the game (http://www.wizards.com/AvalonHill/rules/AA_Pacific_1940_2nd_Edition_FAQ.pdf) states that “Western Canada should have a Canadian emblem. It is originally controlled by the United Kingdom.”

• @calvinhobbesliker:

What other rules have changed?

Though you are by far not a beginner I would recommend you to read YG’s guide to be found here:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=34418.msg1324326#msg1324326

You will get an impression on how much the game has changed from 1st to 2nd Edition.
    Also you will find all the links to download the rules and FAQ you need to be up to date.

• Sponsor

@P@nther:

@calvinhobbesliker:

What other rules have changed?

Though you are by far not a beginner I would recommend you to read YG’s guide to be found here:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=34418.msg1324326#msg1324326

You will get an impression on how much the game has changed from 1st to 2nd Edition.
    Also you will find all the links to download the rules and FAQ you need to be up to date.

Definitely not a beginner, when I make an embarrassing error during my youtube videos… CalvinHobbesliker is always there to let me know, I have been really lucky to have him help me in that regard.

• Thanks, guys. I have played some G40 1st edition/Alpha a few years ago, but I haven’t played any A&A since then, so my memory of the rules is a bit rusty. Did subs have 2 attack, 1 defense in G40 1st edition? I recall that they used to have 2 attack, 2 defense at some point…

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Thanks, guys. I have played some G40 1st edition/Alpha a few years ago, but I haven’t played any A&A since then, so my memory of the rules is a bit rusty. Did subs have 2 attack, 1 defense in G40 1st edition? I recall that they used to have 2 attack, 2 defense at some point…

They have 2A/1D in both editions.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m