• Sponsor

New G40 unit profile created through discussion and collaboration.

Mechanized Infantry

Cost - 5 IPCs
    Move - 2
    Attack - 1 (2 when combined with an artillery or tank unit)
    Defense - 2

Special abilities:

_Each mechanized infantry unit may pull an artillery unit up to 2 spaces during the combat movement phase, or non combat movement phase (both units must originate from the same territory).

Mechanized infantry may blitz when combined with a tank (both units must originate from the same territory), however, mechanized infantry may not pull artillery units when blitzing with a tank._

• YG, I like that idea. Mechs should be able to pull artillery at any time wether its combat or non combat or both.

• '17 '16 '15

Sounds feasible. IDK about pairing them in combat though. Would people still buy tanks?

• Sponsor

@barney:

Sounds feasible. IDK about pairing them in combat though. Would people still buy tanks?

I think the added feature justifies the higher price, but allowing Mechs to pull artillery in the combat movement phase is to powerful in my opinion. Imagine Japan has factories in Hong Kong and FIC, and they buy 1 Mech, 1 Artillery, and 1 Tank for each factory… they would smoke China in no time, and the extra attack and monuverability only cost 1 extra IPC. However, moving artillery closer to the front during the non combat phase is a nice reason to pay 5 IPCs per unit without eliminating Tanks, and limiting it to non combat movement would disallow blitzing 2 units with 1 Tank. This adjustment may tone down the number of Mech infantry flooding the game, and/or might help increase artillery purchases.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

For $5 they should be able to blitz

• Sponsor

@variance:

They can still blitz with a tank, they just can’t blitz with a tank if they’re towing a heavy artillery unit. Do you think they should blitz with artillery?

• '17 '16

@Young:

@barney:

I think the added feature justifies the higher price, but allowing Mechs to pull artillery in the combat movement phase is to powerful in my opinion. Imagine Japan has factories in Hong Kong and FIC, and they buy 1 Mech, 1 Artillery, and 1 Tank for each factory… they would smoke China in no time, and the extra attack and monuverability only cost 1 extra IPC. However, moving artillery closer to the front during the non combat phase is a nice reason to pay 5 IPCs per unit without eliminating Tanks, and limiting it to non combat movement would disallow blitzing 2 units with 1 Tank. This adjustment may tone down the number of Mech infantry flooding the game, and/or might help increase artillery purchases.

If it costs 1 IPC more, putting together 1 Art C4 and 1 MI C5, you virtually create a Mechanized Artillery (which should cost 5, A2 D2 gives 1A to Inf or Mech Inf).
    It will not be overpowered.
    Just allow the 2 Moves even in Combat Move but without giving Blitz to MI and Art.
    So both Art and MI can move 1 space from a Friendly TT before entering in a Combat Zone.

Don’t forget, you are rising to 5 IPCs an A1 D2 unit. All by itself, it is less than optimal.
    And a 9 IPCs unit having 2 hits, A4 D4 M2 is not that overpowered.

At least, it worth the try and you will have less MI anyway on your board.

• Sponsor

Hey Baron, I respect your math a lot when it come to game mechanics… here are the modifications.

Mechanized Infantry

Cost - 5 IPCs
    Move - 2
    Attack - 1 (2 when combined with an artillery unit)
    Defense - 2

Special abilities:

_Each mechanized infantry unit may pull an artillery unit up to 2 spaces during the combat movement phase, or non combat movement phase (both units must originate from the same territory).

Mechanized infantry may blitz when combined with a tank (both units must originate from the same territory), however, mechanized infantry may not pull artillery units when blitzing with a tank._

• '17 '16

@Young:

Hey Baron, I respect your math a lot when it come to game mechanics… here are the modifications.

Thanks.
    Oups…
    This time I was more on a feeling than a complex calculation.  :-D
    I play with Stug III as Mech Art/Assault Gun. And they have higher combat values for the 5 IPCs.

• my MODIFICATION:

Mechanized Infantry

Cost - 5 IPCs
    Move - 2
    Defense - 2

Special abilities:

Each mechanized infantry unit may pull an artillery unit up to 2 spaces during the combat movement phase, or non combat movement phase (both units must originate from the same territory).

Mechanized infantry may blitz when combined with a tank (both units must originate from the same territory), however, mechanized infantry may not pull artillery units when blitzing with a tank.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Young:

@variance:

They can still blitz with a tank, they just can’t blitz with a tank if they’re towing a heavy artillery unit. Do you think they should blitz with artillery?

I was thinking the can blitz on their own without a tank.  I don’t think you want them towing artillery in combat movement phase; just NCM or they will be too powerful and no one will ever build a tank again.

The Global 1939 rules have something like this.  I forget the details right now but I recall it seems to work well.

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

my MODIFICATION:

Mechanized Infantry

Cost - 5 IPCs
    Move - 2
    Defense - 2

Special abilities:

Each mechanized infantry unit may pull an artillery unit up to 2 spaces during the combat movement phase, or non combat movement phase (both units must originate from the same territory).

Mechanized infantry may blitz when combined with a tank (both units must originate from the same territory), however, mechanized infantry may not pull artillery units when blitzing with a tank.

First post revised…

• Sponsor

@variance:

@Young:

@variance:

I was thinking the can blitz on their own without a tank.  I don’t think you want them towing artillery in combat movement phase; just NCM or they will be too powerful and no one will ever build a tank again.

The Global 1939 rules have something like this.  I forget the details right now but I recall it seems to work well.

Baron says for 5 IPCs it’s not that powerful… 5 IPCs is a lot for a unit with 1 attack and 2 defense.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Hmm I suppose that’s true.  $5 is a lot.

I like to call the German mechs “SS panzergrenadiers” to go with the “SS panzers”.  Mobile units are SS.

• '17 '16 '15

This is sounding pretty good.
    So the mech can tow an arty and move 2 it just can’t tow it into battle? Otherwise the mech can blitz on its own?
    I agree with varaiance for 5 bucks it should be able to blitz.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

We need a good unit at a cost of 5 ipcs to take the place of the Old Classic tank spot. There are many situations where it would be nice to have a unit with these mech abilities. I also think this unit would be fun to play in 1942.2 or even 1941 as well, if you wanted to port a unit from G40 into one of the smaller games. Seems like it would make for a slightly faster pace on the artillery push.

I also think it would be cooler if it blitzed at all times, as others suggest, unless its towing. “Blitz or Tow”, keeps the unit practical on attack, although the logistical movement advantage is better if you use them to tow artillery. Would give your unit some more flexibility on combat, and and non-combat positioning, but without being too overpowered. Artillery as a combat blitz unit just seems way too scary, but the tow or blitz would be a bit more manageable. Gives the Mech a stronger sense of purpose in the roster, for the increase in cost. I think I’d still buy them at 5

• '17 '16 '15

Would help both sides too. Japan mechs could drag their dudes through china, far east and india. Germany on the way to Russia. Italy as well. US and UK across North Africa.
    Might benefit Germany a little bit more but Russia could respond to breakthroughs better. Especially from the east or the caucasus.

I’m really starting to like this. Really would change the logistics big time. I’m still testing some other things but this is next in line.

Good Action Guys!

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Black_Elk:

We need a good unit at a cost of 5 ipcs to take the place of the Old Classic tank spot.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=24554.0

• I know that this thread has been overlooked for a while but we have been playing with this house rule for a while in the Global 39 game.  We have the cost of the mech inf at the regular 4ipc and the mech can blitz with the tanks while towing the artilery.  It is a nice little force but it has not proven to be overwhelming.  The attack values in Global 39 make tanks still the biggest bang for the buck but the added bumps in values make the combonation of inf+mech+art+tank quite a powerful little force.  In the global 40 game, I still think that tanks will prove to be useful, especially in defense.  I like the agility in movement that comes with having a mechanized attack force.  To add to it, we have added transport trucks that carry one infintry and it too moves with the tanks and mech+art force.  The tranport truck has no attack value but does have a defense of 1 (the driver would have a side arm atleast).  This combo has added some “shock” value to the game but has not proven to be unbalanced or  overwhelming (as I said before).  Try it, you’ll likeit.

• Customizer

We have it house ruled that Mechanized Infantry cost 4, attack 1 (2 with artillery), defend 2 and move 2. Mechs can blitz by themselves, don’t have to pair with a tank.
    However, this towing artillery idea sounds pretty cool. I don’t think they should be able to blitz while towing artillery. It seems like one or the other would be right. Either blitz OR tow artillery, not both. Then if you play with techs and you get the Improved Mechanized Infantry tech, you can say now they can tow artillery AND blitz at the same time.

By the way, this seems like the end of buying regular infantry except for strict defense.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m