• Sponsor

How much better is 1942 2nd edition over Spring 1942? Is Spring 1942 even in print anymore?

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I’ve seen Spring on the shelves in some places. I actually bought my copy of it by accident, thinking I was grabbing Sec Edition haha. For me the only reason to get it, was because I hated the color scheme of the original Revised map, and Spring 1942.2 was basically the same map, just with a nicer aesthetic. I’m struggling to recall if there were any substantive changes to the map at all? I think that was a gripe inititally, that it was just revised with different unit values. Such that you could just play with this Map using the Revised ruleset on the Spring mapboard?

Anyhow, I’ve moved on more or less completely to Sec Ed. Its the flagship 5 man now, so I have a hard time moving backwards. Been thinking on it a lot lately here and in the software section.

The changes to the map eliminating shucks have pretty big ramifications for the gameplay, and ultimately I like how the starting factories in India and Karelia anchor the fighting, even if it is Axis advantage, I still think it works better overall. UK and USA feel slower to play, its like all planning now, with the payoff not coming until the 5th round, whereas I feel like Classic Revised and Spring 42 the Anglo-Americans were a bit faster out the gate.

I like the map territory divisions, the aesthetic not so much. The terrain map vibe is cool but it felt like a rehash AA50 or 1940. I kind of wish the 5 man board had the more cartoonish color scheme and “politcal map” feel of Classic 3rd Edition. Something more high chroma/saturation.

I’m sure I’ll be playing it until a 3rd edition comes along.

• I personally think it’s a huge step up over spring 1942. As Black Elk said, spring 42 didn’t change the map from revised and only changed the unit values. 1942 2nd edition has a totally different flavor than revised that spring 1942 did over revised.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

I personally think it’s a huge step up over spring 1942. As Black Elk said, spring 42 didn’t change the map from revised and only changed the unit values. 1942 2nd edition has a totally different flavor than revised that spring 1942 did over revised.

Thanks guys… and isn’t the map for 1942 2nd edition bigger than Spring 1942?

• '17 '16 '15 '14

Actually, I like the revised map over the first edition spring map.  It is easier to see the divisions on the Russian territories.

Dang it, the KC Whiskey is good stuff…  ;-)

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

In terms of game play I like both version - the tactics are quite different even though the appearance look familiar.  I find myself enjoying both when playing with opponents.

yes - 2nd map is bigger and takes Allies bigger effort to reach Europe.  One thing that could be a plus/minus (depending on how you think) is with bigger map, some territories used to have potential to put factory complex are no longer a feasible option in 2nd edition, where in 1st edition you have more exploration in this aspect.  Also in 1st version it feels Russia has more rooms to be aggressive as it starts with more troops (and less Germany force!).

• Another nice thing about the 2nd edition is that it has better sculpts: more nation-specific designs, plus anti-aircraft guns represented by specific sculpts.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m