Question on Amphibious Assault Rules

• Sponsor

If you lose the sea battle and at least 1 enemy unit remains, than all the defensless transports and their cargo are destroyed and must be removed from the board. You may however retreat the sea battle during any combat round which ends with you still having at least one defending unit (loaded transports don’t count).

• Pretty sure that is incorrect YG. Attacker has the option of retreating after any round of combat whether or not there are only transports left.
    For example, if you go into a round of combat with 1 destroyer and 2 loaded transports and take 2 casualties, you would lose the destroyer and 1 transport. The other transport could then retreat to a valid sea zone, and yes, the units on board the transport are indeed stuck there and cannot unload that turn.

Undefended transports only get auto-destroyed when defending, and that is only to speed up combat so that you don’t have to keep rolling dice when the outcome is assured.

• Sponsor

@ChocolatePancake:

Pretty sure that is incorrect YG. Attacker has the option of retreating after any round of combat whether or not there are only transports left.
    For example, if you go into a round of combat with 1 destroyer and 2 loaded transports and take 2 casualties, you would lose the destroyer and 1 transport. The other transport could then retreat to a valid sea zone, and yes, the units on board the transport are indeed stuck there and cannot unload that turn.

Undefended transports only get auto-destroyed when defending, and that is only to speed up combat so that you don’t have to keep rolling dice when the outcome is assured.

You’re right, I stand corrected.

• Sponsor

In a separate thread in this forum… it is explained that defenseless transports no matter the quantity, are all destroyed when attacked.

• @Nippon-koku:

After a failed attempt at an amphibious assault (you lost the sea battle and had to pull back your transports) what are the rules on that transport and its cargo?

It came up in a game this weekend and my understanding was always this: the transport can back out one square and the troops have to stay on board.  I’m confident this is the rule but I could not find a definitive answer anywhere in the rule book.

Can anyone clear this up and point me to the correct page?

Thanks

You are correct that the transport(s) retreat one space to a sea zone that at least one ship came from or through, and units on board stay on board.  I don’t have a copy of the rulebook handy because I’m on a different computer, but I’m not sure it’s in there.  We know the answer because we asked Krieghund about it years ago, actually in AA50 (and the rule is the same for G40)

• Sponsor

So a battleship and 2 loaded transports attempt an amphibious assault, 3 fighters scramble hitting twice and the battleship takes out one plane. Now 2 fighters are up against 2 loaded transports, are you saying that the transports can now retreat 1 space away before the 2nd combat round begins?

• Yes, absolutely.  If the planes had hit 3/3, you would select one of your transports and retreat with the other.

And never attempt this kind of amphibious assault again, unless it is against a major capital  :lol:

• Sponsor

… but 100 transports defending against 1 attacking sub are all toast within a single combat round… right?

• @Young:

… but 100 transports defending against 1 attacking sub are all toast within a single combat round… right?

Lesson : never leave Your trannies alone

• @Narvik:

@Young:

Lesson : never leave Your trannies alone

Until you are experienced enough to see every possible angle of attack and can plan around a potential hit on the transports.

• @Young:

Yes, because transports on defense can’t retreat.  That’s the huge difference.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m