• If you were an allied tank commander and had the choice between the T-34 and the Sherman, which would you choose?

• Well I would have to know if it was for only you which also I mwould need to know if replacments are avaible because that goes to sherman also if this would include many other variables.

• The T34 was a better design, sloped armor, simple with a good gun.

The Sherman was better made with a better engine and more crew friendly and comfortable.

Having been a tanker for over 10 years I can tell you a crew friendly vehicle is better.

I would like the T34 with the Sherman’s Detroit Engine and the 90mm gun…thanks  :wink:

• I’ve decided on T-34

• @legion3:

The T34 was a better design, sloped armor, simple with a good gun.

The Sherman was better made with a better engine and more crew friendly and comfortable.

Having been a tanker for over 10 years I can tell you a crew friendly vehicle is better.

I would like the T34 with the Sherman’s Detroit Engine and the 90mm gun…thanks  :wink:

Legion3. thanks for your service. what type of tanks have you been a crew of?

• Initially I started out as a Crewman then a Commander of the LVTP7A1 the “amtrac” a Marine MOS 1833. An E3 could command an amtrac.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/aavp7a1.htm

After a couple of years I transfered to Tanks, Marine MOS 1811, promotions were better, I went from corporal to sergeant in 1 year, and I was a creman and then a tank commander of the M60A1 which is what my unit had in the Gulf War 1991.

http://www.battletanks.com/m60a1e1.htm

Then at the end I commanded one of the M1’s the older Abrahms version with the 105mm main gun and later in life I was in the Army NG and was a crewman on another M1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

I really like armor  :wink:

• The Sherman had sloping frontal armor only. Which is good. The Shermans turret was straight sided, although rounded, the tanks sides were also flat and straight. The rear engine area had some slope but not much.

The T34 had sloping armor all around and on the turret.

An rpg clanged off the side of my M60 which had similar/angle sloping armor like the t34 and the rocket went hissing up into the sky. Had it been a Sherman or a Tiger 1 it probably would have impacted the turret. Which would have sucked.

Often the turret is all you can see of a tank target and a flat sided tank is less likely to survive a direct hit or even a glancing blow.

Frankly if I could have any WW2 tank a later model Panther would be the choice.

• I would prefer a T34
    lower silouette , fast in maneuver, build perfect for russian terrain with wide tracks, koaxial machine gun in turret and front, build allready in 1938/39 but not in large numbers.
    yes the 4 man crew situation sucks!
    Diesel engine were you could fill almost everything in it and it still would run.

yepp i like the idea!
    Between T34/76 and T34/85 I go for the 85 version (I don,t like the mickeymouse version lol)

• @abworsham4

Probably a Sherman, as it has more tonnage (which I presume translates as more metal). After that, I will get a group of engineers to take apart the tank and use the materials make the best tank possible, combing the best features of Soviet, American, German, British (maybe even Italian and Japanese as well) tanks.

• @superbattleshipyamato said in Better Allied Tank:

@abworsham4

Probably a Sherman, as it has more tonnage (which I presume translates as more metal). After that, I will get a group of engineers to take apart the tank and use the materials make the best tank possible, combing the best features of Soviet, American, German, British (maybe even Italian and Japanese as well) tanks.

Why are you bringing up 10 -13 year old posts when 99.9 % of guys won’t reply ?

Ya nothing wrong with looking at them to get ideas from and help you more with house rules but thought it was kinda forbidden on site to post those old old old threads. Just saying.

• 2024 2023 '22

@general-5-stars

You just can’t respond to people who haven’t been online for several years, so I always check-ABWorsham4 is one of the most frequent visitors to this forum. Topics also have to be currently relevant, which most “World War 2 History” topics are, such as this one.

• @General-5-stars
    Please use the “Flag this post” feature in case you feel that moderation is needed.

@SuperbattleshipYamato

From the Forum Rules:

Do not resurrect old and buried topics
    Create a new topic instead and reference the old one (ask a moderator if needed differently).

4. … Don’t necropost!

So I am not here to monitor every topic/posting 24/7 … but every topic/posting is subject to follow the forum rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m