• Now, try not to include any version of A&A - I’m just trying to find out where we all stand with video game favorites…

I’d say my favorite that I played at the time it came out would have to be Zelda: A Link to the Past.

• Newer games, I like Black Isle games Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale.

In classic video games, I was always a big fan of Lunar Lander (that goes WAY back).  And on the Atari 2600, I was a big fan of Defender :-)

• Shining Force 2.

Final Fantasy VII is a close second.

• If I were to sort 'em into categories, then I’d say my favorite PC game is StarCraft!

• @ncscswitch:

Newer games, I like Black Isle games Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale.

In classic video games, I was always a big fan of Lunar Lander (that goes WAY back).  And on the Atari 2600, I was a big fan of Defender :-)

obviously i’m with you here - big Neverwinter Nights fan.  Mind you, the time i’ve wasted on the Civ variants . . . eeeee

I can’t name just one so…

Tecmo Super Bowl (8 bit and 16 bit)
    Mario Kart (16 bit and N64)
    Civ 2 (although the entire series rocks)
    KOTOR
    GoldenEye (N64)
    Super Mario World
    Mortal Kombat 2
    DOOM
    QBert (arcade)
    PunchOut (arcade)

Well, I better stop there.  We’ll call this my top 10 for now, with honorable mention to the the Classics like Frogger, PacMan, Donkey Kong and some of the Atari, Intellivision, and Colleco Classics.  Pitfall too!

• Dude, those are ALL great games!

Mario Kart (16 bit) will go down in history as my favorite racing game ever.

GoldenEye is the FPS that started it all, not HALO like the young’uns might like to think…

• Oh god no…you opened Pandora’s box!
    Great topic, and I have to say I love you all for your preferred games.  Fantastic.

However, I have the same problem as DM - I can’t name just one.  Would it be the most played?  The one I got into the most?  Sheesh…I don’t know.  Have to come back to this.  There were many key games to my gaming experience.

And Wolfenstein 3d did it before Goldeneye, Agent.  Gotta love blasting Hitler in a mech suit away into a pile of mush.  But damn those dogs!!!

• Oh, and CC (or anyone else): ever play an old DOS operating room simulator called Life or Death?  I used to have too much fun misdiagnosing the patient on purpose, opting for major surgery when they only had bronchitis or something mild.  Then I’d forego the anaesthesia, and carve my name into their chests with the scalpel.  I know this sounds horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE - but you have to realize that I knew this was only a game, and would never do the same in life.  Besides, surgery makes me queasy (pixellated 8 bit surgery makes me horny).

• Ahh, Jermo, you are right.  How could I forget that?  (Slaps self in the face)  Anyway, feel free, as I did with Mario Kart, to sort yours into categories.  :wink:

• @Jermofoot:

Oh, and CC (or anyone else): ever play an old DOS operating room simulator called Life or Death?  I used to have too much fun misdiagnosing the patient on purpose, opting for major surgery when they only had bronchitis or something mild.  Then I’d forego the anaesthesia, and carve my name into their chests with the scalpel.  I know this sounds horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE - but you have to realize that I knew this was only a game, and would never do the same in life.  Besides, surgery makes me queasy (pixellated 8 bit surgery makes me horny).

i vaguely remembered that game, but i never played it.

now it might be fun . . . .

• Two games that are classics for Genesis:

With two players - Rampart

With four players - General Chaos!

• Theres are so many hours of fun in old nintendo’s.
    My favorites must be mario tennis and mario cart, of course in a combination with beers and friends!

Else theres a lot of good old games on the PC you gotta love. My computer is an old laptop so I can’t do any never games, so im stuck with all the classics such as.
    Starcraft - only fun in multiplayer, but I just love sending swarm after swarm of hydras and zerlings out to feed on my opponent.
    Civ and Alpha Centauri - Mmmm Sid Meyer games are the greatest.
    Thief I and II - Im the most sneaky bastard in the world, I just love sneaking around on expert level wihtout anyone noticing me.

One final notice
    TETRIS this must be the greatest of all great game designs, I’ll never get tired of this.

-Daniel

• If we are talking old DOS games, mention has to be made of Command HQ, especially for all these A&A fans :-)

• General Chaos was the bomb.  And SUD, I think I played that game - except we called it Tic Tac Toe  :-)

Anyway, newer games that I’ve liked:

Call of Duty (PC), Battlefield 2 (PC), Guitar Hero (PS2), Red Orchestra (PC)

Older games I’ve enjoyed:  PC: Close Combat Series - highly recommended for WW2 strategy fans, Team Fortress Classic,  Tie Fighter
    Console: Contra (NES), Jackal (NES),  Shining Force Series (GEN), Phantasy Star Series (GEN), FF7 (PS), Xenogears (PS), Panzer Dragoon Saga (SAT), Guardian Heroes (SAT), Iron Storm - another great WW2 Strategy game (SAT), Dragon Force (SAT)

That’s just to name a few that standout right now.

Oh, and the first game I ever fell in love with:

Rampage - Arcade

• Lots of Shining Force fans on these forums. Good man Jermo :)

• Gauntlet

• What, no votes for PONG???

• As far as RPGs go, I might have to keep it old-school and go with Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 for Super Nintendo)

One that I’ve dug up recently is Roller Coaster Tycoon.

• I had to add that Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) was a pretty amazing experience.  Can’t believe I forgot that one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m