Newbie: Question regarding general combat

• Hi everyone i am new to this game, please allow me to ask some question here.

I read the rules regarding the use of AAA as air defence against aircraft units , i also read from another post that in the case
    when a territory containing infantry/armor/artillery is attacked by air units, the defending land units will be able to hit the air units. That really bothers me because now then what use is it to use AAA(not the ones in the facilities) in air defence, when its
    1. 5 ipcs compared to 3 for infantry
    2. infantry has a higher defence bonus than an AAA gun
    3. Worst , AAA gun can only fire 1 round of combat

so i would like find out from the community , have i read the rules wrong or is there really strategic advantage in using AAA guns? because so far i find them really unnessary.

Thank you in advance!

• Morning and welcome to the forum.
    AA does seem expensive and very few units (if any) are bought during a game.
    They do serve a purpose, however. Most importantly, AA can only hit planes. The attacker must lose a plane if AA hits. He cannot allocate the loss to a cheaper ground unit, as you can do in normal combat. AA can often put off an attack, because of the fear factor. Losing planes is expensive and losing a plane or two , before it gets to roll can devastate an attack, causing it to fail or be called off early. 
    Hope that helps.

• hi wittmann

Thank you for your reply. It sure did, i can now see that it has an strategic advantage :)

• Feel free to ask more questions if anything is unclear to you.
    Have fun playing AAA and welcome to the community!

• IF i understand this right does this mean that i cannot return fire to air units unless i have AAA?
    For example if  i am attacked with 5 fighters and my defences are 3 infantry does this mean i am defenseless
    Against such an attack or can infantry return fire?
    I know about that air units-submarine rule
    Sorry to Ask such newbie questions but i am completely new to this game and you ll probably hear a lot from me :P

• '17 '16 '15

Your infantry can return fire

What the AA unit does is at the start of the attack it rolls against  attacking air. You can have up to three rolls per AA gun but can only target a plane once.So if you’re attacked by two planes your AA could fire once at each plane. If attacked by four you could only fire at three of them.

If your AA hits then a plane of the defenders choice is destroyed and unable to participate in the rest of the battle. Your AA guns only fire once per battle.

• After your AA units have fired, and combat begins, can you (the defender) use AA units as casualties?

• @ODF:

After your AA units have fired, and combat begins, can you (the defender) use AA units as casualties?

Yes, AAA units can be taken as casualties.

• Followup on Aircraft & AAA in battles….

So, are aircraft in battles a single sortie or a series of sorties?  If single, then how do they continue to be in the air for round after round of combat.  If series of sorties, then why would AAA be first round only?

• @Carolina:

So, are aircraft in battles a single sortie or a series of sorties?  If single, then how do they continue to be in the air for round after round of combat.  If series of sorties, then why would AAA be first round only?

Planes fight in every round of combat as long as they live or until the attacker retreats.
    AAA units fire only once, before the first round of combat. That’s the rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m