• Something has to be done with them. Lower cost, soak hit when defending, or defend better.

Simply no one is buying them in our games.
    The game often doesn’t last long enough for players to be so deeply entrenched that tanks are a good idea or cost effective.
    Or, players don’t want to commit to a heavy tank buy for a few rounds because the defensive potential they end up losing at the front during the build up exposes them to an attack from the enemy who is now in a better position.

• Customizer

But if the real war hadn’t ground to a stalemate would anyone have thought to develop tanks?

In essence they’re the best way for a side with an economic advantage to convert that into military victory, rather than hurling infantry on entrenched defences.

Tanks should not become a staple part of a power’s army in this war; they were a particular solution to a particular problem, and indeed might not appear at all if the war does not take that particular course.

I like the way tanks work in this game and would leave well alone.

• @oztea:

My original idea was:
    At the start of a full round of play, roll a die, if the number is equal to or less than the current turn number, Italy will join the war. Any other number and it will remain neutral (no actions).
    The allies may deduct a collective 10 IPCs (from powers at war) from their cash on hand(s) to re-roll the die.

I like that one, beginning with R2. (maybe after Austrias turn)
    My own rule: CPs may attack Italy beginning with R3. That gives Italy the chance to attack first in R2.

Suggestions for Subs and USW:
    In my variant of A&A1914 (map below) I made more USW zones, even some in the med. There were national flags on the SZs which determine the power that loses a part of its income (number in the blue box) if at least one CP Sub is located there in the collect income phase. US enter the war when Allies have lost 26 IPcs of their income. I also made Subs invulnerable to sea mines. Instead of firing they can submerge but enemy ships hit submerging subs only with a 1. Makes them survive a little longer. (I also gave GE 2 more Subs for the Start-Setup)

DERWELTKRIEG.png

• That’s a cool map, but im trying to stay with the OOB board so it can be used broadly.
    Definelty some good ideas though.

Played a game against myself, subs were much improved.

• @oztea:

That’s a cool map, but im trying to stay with the OOB board so it can be used broadly.
    Definelty some good ideas though.

Played a game against myself, subs were much improved.

When playing with the OOB board, the useless African continent often annoys me.
    It would be nice to allow each colonial power to mobilize one Infantry unit per turn in Africa.
    This Infantry (Askari) should be cheaper than regular Inf. maybe 2 IPC.
    Mobilization tts for Askari could be:
    GE -> German East Africa
    IT -> Somaliland
    BE -> Britisch East Africa
    FR-> French West Africa

• I would think it would perhaps make more sense to run Africa akin to China in anniversary then.
    How about this for a rule:

Scramble for Africa
    During a powers collect income phase, it may, instead of collecting IPCs for it’s African (colonial) territories, immediately use it’s total IPC’s on Africa to purchase and place infantry units on any of it’s original African territories. Infantry placed in this way cost 3 IPCs. Remaining IPCs from African colonial purchases are forfeit.
    Infantry placed in this way must be mobilized on separate territories (all purchased units may not be placed in the same territory)
    A power may purchase/place no more than it has original territories controlled
    Example: Germany controls 9 IPCs worth of African territories, but only controls it’s original territories of South West Africa and German East Africa. It may only purchase/place two infantry in Africa.

Addendum: Germany receives an additional infantry in Kameroon to start the game

Germany is getting a cruiser in SZ 24 in update 1.3 by the way

• @oztea:

Addendum: Germany receives an additional infantry in Kameroon to start the game

Germany is getting a cruiser in SZ 24 in update 1.3 by the way

That sounds reasonable but

Kamerun had only 200 Germans and 3200 natives as Schutztruppe and surrenderd 1916 while German east Africa had 3.500 Europeans and 12 000 natives as Schutztruppe and did only stop fighting because of the Armistice of Compiegne.
    So the additional infantry should be place in GEA (by the way thats why the initial Artillery of South West should also be placed there)

The cruiser should be placed in SZ 26 for representing the SMS Koenigsberg or in SZ 27 for the SMS Emden.

• Customizer

Askaris should be cheaper but less effective (attack @ 1 & defend @ 2).

They should not count for “last infantry” purposes; in other words they must always be accompanied by a regular “European” infantry unit, and taken as casualties before that regular unit.

Another option would be to allow African armies to retreat without combat, reflecting jungle terrain south of the Sahara, thus making it difficult to eliminate even small armies in Africa.

• The German cruiser is going to end up near SZ 24 or so anyway. It’s true purpose is to threaten the French navy while it tries to pick up the Portuguese on the first turn. In concert with subs, the French have to respect the threat and keep their fleet together. Because subs in open water will get first strike. The objective is to make allied navies fear being away from their ports so they have to overcompensate and stay in big groups. Thus making the allies spend more money in the water, relieving some of the pressure on Germany on the continent
    where they have trouble competing.

• Customizer

Well that’s 1914 development single handedly destroyed. Topics in House Rules will quickly be envelopes by the WWII deluge.

• '17 '16

@Flashman:

Well that’s 1914 development single handedly destroyed. Topics in House Rules will quickly be envelopes by the WWII deluge.

At least the title is clear about 1914.

I hope Imperious Leader will have time and means to create some Sub-Forum for, at least, 1914, G40 and 1942.2, as it was the case for the A&A50 Child boards version: 1941 and 1942.
    Otherwise, House Rules will stay the House where Chaos Rules. :-D

• 1914 house ruling is doomed in this forum

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m