John Brown's Painted G1940 Set - by Spitfire38

• '16 Customizer

@jwo1984:

awesome work spitfire! love the camo colors! did they come out of your head or was that a actual scheme used in war you referenced? The black lines really add that contrast making the pieces stand out nicely.

The stripes bordered with the black are an idea from Allworkandnoclay that John Brown liked, but the specific color mixes are my own spin on it. If I can find the photo of the colors, I’ll post it. The lines are essentially a light bluish-green, so that when I use the brown ink wash, it will come out as a darker green. The lines are a very dark brown, rather than a black, to give it a bit more of a natural jungle camo color scheme.

I’m glad you guys like them!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Spitfire38 asked if I could take better pictures of the Japanese ground forces, because his pictures were in the yellow. Hopefully these turned out alright.

The first picture will be the mechs, and the second picture will be the artillery. Enjoy! :-D

Japanese Ground Forces 001.JPG
    Japanese Ground Forces 003.JPG

These next two pictures will be the AAA Guns, and then the tanks. :-D

Japanese Ground Forces 004.JPG
    Japanese Ground Forces 005.JPG

This last picture will be all the ground forces together. I hope you enjoy them! :-D

Japanese Ground Forces 006.JPG

• '16 Customizer

Thanks! These photos make it easier to see the true colors.

@Spitfire38:

Thanks! These photos make it easier to see the true colors.

No problem! I’m enjoying posting pictures, now, since I know how now, LOL. Plus my new I phone 5 helps tremendously. :-D

• '16 Customizer

I have posted pictures of the P40s that I painted for John; the photos are in the sections for the Chinese and the Americans. They feature the Flying Tigers and American P40s in various schemes in which they would have been seen during the war. Here is an image of them all; for a slightly closer look, check out the original posts at the front of this thread!

I received the Chinese decals, which means that I can go ahead and put those on the infantry and artillery to have those for you guys soon. I am going on vacation next week, so I will not be working then, but I will resume afterwards. The Chinese decals need to be hand-cut, which is painstaking work, but it’ll get done eventually.

Wow Mark, I’m stoked about these P-40’s. You did a super job on these. I can’t wait to see these in person. :-D

• '17 '16 '15

Those are Sweet! Bet it makes setting up the board even more fun! :)

@barney:

Yes, it will make my board, sweet for sure. Thanks barney! :-D

• '16 Customizer

@barney:

Thanks Barney! As a painter, I can say that setting up the board very well might be my favorite part of the game. I don’t have many people to play with, so I have set it up before just to see all of the painted pieces and have fun with the game board.

• '17 '16 '15

Absolutely Spitfire! I always got a rush when I placed fighters and tanks! Battleships too! Having custom ones is even that much better!

Spitfire, what do you mean by hand cutting the decals, because I thought you have to cut them out any way, and then separate the paper from the decal?

Obviously, I haven’t used this other decal company.

Is all picoarmor decals like that, and what is different about them?

Can you explain? :-)

Thanks,

John

• '16 Customizer

@John:

Spitfire, what do you mean by hand cutting the decals, because I thought you have to cut them out any way, and then separate the paper from the decal?

Obviously, I haven’t used this other decal company.

Is all picoarmor decals like that, and what is different about them?

Can you explain? :-)
    Thanks,

John

Yeah! Basically there are two kinds of decals, or at least two kinds of decals that I have worked with. All decals that I am working with are on transfer paper, so the decal loosens from the backing paper when it gets wet. These decals can be printed in one of two ways.

(1) The decal is printed such that each decal is individually divided, so if I cut out a sheet that has 5 flags on it, I can dip it in water, and then decide to slide off only 1 of the flags separate from the others. This is the type of decals that I-94 uses. I still have to cut the decals off of the sheet so that I don’t dip the entire sheet into the water at once, but I can take decals off one by one.

(2) All of the decals are printed on a single sheet of transfer paper, with no divisions between them. So, if I dip the decal sheet in water, the whole sheet will come off in one go, rather than being able to choose which ones I will take off. Those ones are like a temporary tattoo. (Does anyone want 15 Japanese flags on their arm? Weird tattoo :P ) So, to use individual decals, I need to cut them off of the sheet and into the shape that I want them. Thankfully I have been able to just cut the Chinese roundels into squares rather than circles; the edges are transparent, so as long as it doesn’t extend over the wing, it looks like a circle. The implication of this kind of decal is basically that I can’t do application in quick assembly line fashion, because I have to cut out each individual decal rather than do them in sets of 2, 3, or 4. So it just takes a good bit longer. This kind of decal is used by Picoarmor.

Side note: shoutout to Picoarmor! They have amazing customer service. I had a problem with their online ordering process (ended up being a server glitch), but they responded very promptly to my email, put me in touch with their webmaster, and followed up with me to make sure that everything was good. They also let me know that they had packaged and shipped my decals. Awesome customer experience.

Thanks for the explanation Spitfire. I didn’t know there was a difference, but it is good to know, in case I have to use their decals. :-)

• '14 Customizer

Very nice Job on those Spitfire!  I love them… Never thought to make the teeth with dots instead of a white line. That really puts a good perspective on it. Well done sir!

• '16 Customizer

@cyanight:

Very nice Job on those Spitfire!  I love them… Never thought to make the teeth with dots instead of a white line. That really puts a good perspective on it. Well done sir!

And I never thought to make them with a white line - that would probably look pretty cool. It just goes to show that we all have very different approaches coming in. That’s why I like these forums, because you get to learn new things from other people.

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it!

• Nice work on those P40s there Spitfire.

• '16 Customizer

@Proud:

Nice work on those P40s there Spitfire.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

• These P40’s look awesome Spitfire! well done on the shark mouths…they aren’t easy to do and those teeth turned out very nicely! I wonder if we can get decals in the future for the shark mouths??

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m