• '14 Customizer

I talked with Doug at HBG yesterday and he said it would be about 5 more weeks for the UK set.  I am trying to be patient but there are so many pieces in that set I want to paint and replace the OOB pieces with.

• '14 Customizer

I wish I would have done this before I printed my map. I edited the roundels for Italy and replaced them with the fascist Italy roundel instead of Iran’s roundel.  Why was the Iran roundel chosen to be Italy’s roundel?

Changed to

Here is the link to the latest map

http://www.mediafire.com/view/wmbpcq89b7768i9/A%26A 1940 Global Game Board_1g.jpg

• @cyanight:

I wish I would have done this before I printed my map. I edited the roundels for Italy and replaced them with the fascist Italy roundel instead of Iran’s roundel.  Why was the Iran roundel chosen to be Italy’s roundel?Â

Probably for the same reason (not enough double-checking) as the other game map errors, like Honolulu being shown on the wrong island or Tunguska being spelled “Timguska”.  Anyway, your roundel change is a good idea.  I did the same thing to my Global map when I was customizing it, as shown in the “7 Europe Right Panel” picture of this thread:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32700.0 .  Though I did do some cheating of my own: since the OOB “Italian” roundel with the inverted coulours was now free for use, I enlisted it on my map to represent Mexico.

• '14 Customizer

Yes, I saw that thread.  Very good job.  I think that may have been the thread that got me interested in the neutral roundels.  Then after research I noticed that Italy’s roundel was wrong or as you stated inverted.  I was thinking of putting decals on my map to fix it but I would probably mess it up somehow.

• '14 Customizer

I ended up using the Hungarian roundel for Iran since it had all the same colors and Hungary is already German controlled.

I used this for Iran instead of this which is the one used for Italy.

• @cyanight:

Yes, I saw that thread.  Very good job.  I think that may have been the thread that got me interested in the neutral roundels.  Then after research I noticed that Italy’s roundel was wrong or as you stated inverted.  I was thinking of putting decals on my map to fix it but I would probably mess it up somehow.

I didn’t like the idea of messing up my Global map either, so I tried to figure out how to customize it without doing any damage to it.  The eventual solution was to attach all the customized roundels to the map using a tiny piece of double-faced tape (which provides just enough anchorage to keep the roundels in place) and to cover the whole map with a sheet of clear acrylic (which provides most of the anchorage, as well as a smooth surface on which to play).  If ever I want to make changes to any of the customized roundels – which has happened from time to time – I remove the acrylic sheet and I gently peel those particular roundels off the map.  Each piece of double-faced tape is so small that the roundel comes right off; sometimes the tape itself peels off the map too, leaving little or no trace of its presence.  I then put the new roundels on the map, using the same method.  So far it’s worked nicely.  The only map panel on which I used a more aggressive technique was the left-hand-side supplementary panel that I employ to show the sea zone connections.  On that one, I covered the original printed roundels with small black self-adhesive dots, to show that the territories on this panel are not to be used for the deployment of game pieces.  That panel’s purpose will never change, so I was comfortable with the idea of using sticky labels on it.

• '14 Customizer

I saw that and was hoping it would work for my map as well. The problem is that when I add acrylic or plexi-glass to cover the map I lose a lot of magnetic power. There is no way the pieces will hold onto the map. As of right not I could play the game on my ceiling and the pieces wont move or fall off but with the plexi-glass the magnets I used are not strong enough. Using larger magnets would probably work but then again I would need to revert all the work I did so far.

• @cyanight:

I saw that and was hoping it would work for my map as well. The problem is that when I add acrylic or plexi-glass to cover the map I lose a lot of magnetic power. There is no way the pieces will hold onto the map. As of right not I could play the game on my ceiling and the pieces wont move or fall off but with the plexi-glass the magnets I used are not strong enough. Using larger magnets would probably work but then again I would need to revert all the work I did so far.

Yes, good point about the magnetic power.  Our two maps are designed along different lines, so they have different requirements.  On the minus side, mine can only ever work horizontally; even without the playing pieces, the whole thing would collapse if I tilted it vertically; on the plus side, gravity is all I need to keep things in place, so the thickness of the plexiglass isn’t an issue.  Here’s an idea on how you might fix the Italian roundels on your map without doing any permanent damage to it and without affecting its magnetic properties.  If you can find some decals of the correct size and type, get a sheet of paper-thin transparent acetate (for example, the kind that was used for overhead projector transparencies before PowerPoint came along), apply the roundels to the acetate (you may need to use superglue if the decals won’t stick on their own), then carefully cut out each roundel with some scissors.  Next, put four little pieces of double-faced tape at the back of each roundel, on the rim, at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o’clock positions, and stick them to your map.  The thinness of the acetate, plus the tape-free central portion of the roundels, should allow your magnetized markers to stick to the map through the roundels without serious loss of power.  And the fact that the decal is glued to the acetate instead of directly to the map will mean that your map isn’t messed up.  The small pieces of tape should be able to peel away from the map without harm if you ever want to replace the roundels.

• '14 Customizer

That is a great idea!

• @cyanight:

That is a great idea!

Great – looking forward to hearing if it works out well in practice.  (It sounds fine in theory, but one never knows!)  By the way, some types of double-faced tape are completely transparent and very thin (in contrast with the thick, white, gummy variety), so that would be the best kind to use.

• Customizer

Guys,

––I noticed the discussion about the original (incorrect) national ensign for Italy. Shown below are pics of HBG’s markers for the OOB original (incorrect) version and their (corrected) version.
    ––IMHO the manufacturer made a mistake by simply reversing the colors of the Italian roundel.
    The corrected ensign is what I prefer to use on my map and on the bases of my Italian Infantry units.

Tall Paul

Italy (OOB Wrong).jpg
    Italy (Corrected).jpg

• Customizer

Guys,

––With me being me,…I guess you could say I “out-smarted” myself when we painted my FMG Italian Infantry units because they were painted with the OOB-style incorrect ensignia and they had to be re-painted later. At least they’re the way I want them now.

Tall Paul

Italy_desert Infantry, Rifle-X02CC.jpg
    Infantry, Rifle Italy_desert-01CC.jpg

• '14 Customizer

Very nice Tall Paul.  I will create a version of the map with that version as well.

I just finished installing magnets into my neutral pieces.

• White - Neutral

• Blue - Pro Allies

• Orange - Pro Axis

• Yellow - Mongolians (If Russia attacks Japan bordering Mongolia or Korea then the Mongolians turn White and stay neutral.
      If Japan attacks any Russian territory next to Mongolia while they are Yellow then the Mongolians change into Russian.)

I love the new roundels from HBG.  These are the Mongolian roundels.

• @cyanight:

Yellow - Mongolians (If Russia attacks Japan bordering Mongolia or Korea then the Mongolians turn White and stay neutral.

Alternately, you could have a system in which the Mongolians are white when neutral, then turn yellow and surrender if the Japanese attack.  :lol:

• '14 Customizer

Here is an updated version of the map using the correct Italian roundel.

Here is the new map
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/qdotju8d8006uux/A%26A%201940%20Global%20Game%20Board_1h.jpg

• '14 Customizer

CWO Marc, lol… The color would fit them alright :)

• '14 Customizer

Here are the neutral roundels. I had to make a few but most are from HBG. These are magnetized :)

• '14 Customizer

China is magnetized and ready for war!

• Great collection of roundels.  Thanks for sharing all those pictures with us!

• '14 Customizer

France is done and ready for war.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m