• Is there a way to select certain Tech options to play with prior to the game starting, rather than rolling for Tech? I’m talking about the G40 game. Thanks.

• There is a - non trivial - way to define Tech options as “true” nation-wise prior to the game starting.

Warning: Know what you do! You do it on your own risk!

1. Find the correct map.zip (in this case it is “World War II Global.zip”) in the ‘maps’-folder of the installation
    2. Open the map.zip for example with 7zip and browse to the included folder “games”
    3. Find the correct game.xml (in this case it is  “ww2global40_2nd_edition.xml”) and extract (copy) it to another place where you will find it.
    Because of this the original game file will remain untouched.
    4. Open that copied file with an editor (other than Windows-included-notepad), for example notepad2-mod, that shows line-numbering
    5. In line 4 change the info name “World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition” for example to “World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition MOD”
    6. Save the file with a new name, for example ww2global40_2nd_edition_mod.xml
    7. Move to line 2113 with the headline
    8. You see now - starting with “Japanese” the “techAttatchments” reflecting each technology. Everything is set on “false”.
    9. Replace the word “false” concerning the technologies you want of the nations you want with the word “true”
    10. When it is done save your file.
    11. Include the new xml into the folder “games” of the map.zip (using for example 7zip)
    You have now (apart from other files) the original ww2global40_2nd_edition.xml next to the new ww2global40_2nd_edition_mod.xml
    12. Start TripleA and select “World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition MOD”
    13. Play as usual.

14. Tell us about your experiences

HTH  :-)

• Ok, I might have to try this sometime. Will this screw up my current TripleA install? Is there a way to incorporate this into the next version of TripleA?

• @Commando:

Ok, I might have to try this sometime. Will this screw up my current TripleA install? Is there a way to incorporate this into the next version of TripleA?

As long as you know what you are doing this is safe. Because you just add another startup-scenario with that modded xml and keep the original. You can only screw this added xml.
    I am going to test this myself anytime soon. At the moment I have no access to a Java-enabled computer. So no TripleA, either.

Whether this can be incorporated maybe Veqryn will comment on, as I am no developper.

• Thanks Panther!

• Back home I now had the chance to test the method described above.

Technically it works!  :-)

(‘Technically’ means that I did not play a complete game to test and find out eventual issues.)

But I found out that you can only define 10 out of 12 technologies.

Paratroopers - called “Airborne_Forces” in the xml
    as well as
    Improved Mechanized Infantry - called “Improved_Mech_Inf” in the xml

seem to be handled differently. At the moment I have not found out how to define them as “true” right from the beginning.

Anyway… I modified my above post to describe the method more in detail and more understandable, as I hope.

• Thanks Panther! Unfortunately this won’t work for what I want to do. Hopefully the developers will allow you to define what tech options you want with the next version of TripleA. Any update on the 1914 version of TripleA?

• If a country, let’s say Germany gets a Tech option, does Italy also get that option using TripleA? Or, does Italy have to roll for that separately? Also, if you pay for a Tech option and roll for it successfully, do you get to pick the Tech option you receive? Or, do you have to roll for it on the Tech table you pick? Thanks in advance!

• @Commando:

If a country, let’s say Germany gets a Tech option, does Italy also get that option using TripleA? Or, does Italy have to roll for that separately?

As in the original game nations don’t share technologies. So each nation has to roll separately.

@Commando:

Also, if you pay for a Tech option and roll for it successfully, do you get to pick the Tech option you receive? Or, do you have to roll for it on the Tech table you pick? Thanks in advance!

In TripleA - before rolling - you choose the technology chart you want to roll for. Then you buy the tokens. If a “6” is rolled, a technology of the chosen chart is randomly assigned.

I cannot comment on 1914 as I don’t know about it.

• Thanks!

• Sometimes the solution is that easy…  :roll:

In TripleA just use EDIT-Mode to assign the technologies you want to the nations you want.
    You can do that for all nations when it comes to Germany’s very first “Buy Tech tokens”-Phase,
    and of course at any time later.

I do not know why I did not realize that before…

:-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m