• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I mean, everyone wants Micro-Sculpts for 1942.2 right?  :-D

Can’t help but think that Micro-Sculpts would be popular on any board, either for a reprint of a current gamemap, or even if sold as part of separate expansion sets. I wonder why they never make any official extra tiny unit sets for A&A? If everything was half the current size I’d definitely buy them. Smaller chips to accompany would be nice too.

I’d also buy official Tech Sculpts if they were available in an expansion. Or micro-tech sculpts too, why not? haha

Point being, why is this never tried officially? Seems like it would be a relatively easy way to maintain interest, during those long periods of down time between the release of official Axis and Allies boards.

Anyone else feel this way?

• That would actually be pretty cool. Also some official extra chip bags would be nice.

• I like it every one always wants a bigger board. But micro sculpts would work the same way and you don’t need a six foot table to fit the giant board.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I only see pros! With the same amount of plastic you could make like twice as many units, thus twice as much fodder for the pets to eat, or to get lost in the space-time vortex under the couch  :-D

Seriously though, I see the idea of micro-sizing as a major draw. Everyone loves micro-stuff. Just look at how micro-machines built a whole franchise out of shrinking hotwheels. Or how A&A itself, is basically a shrunk down version of classic plastic army men.

The technology is available. 3d printers are better now than ever, and everyone appreciates when something very tiny is well detailed. Why not go smaller?

Right now the infantry unit is pretty close to 1/72 scale, but I don’t think they need to be quite this large. Shorter ships would be helpful too. Smaller units based on a smaller chip size, and with a smaller chip-to-unit ratio, since more units could be made overall using the same amount of material/space.

The priorities should be to make units:
    1. that are flat on the bottom (especially aircraft!) and well balanced so they don’t tip over.
    2. with relative uniformity in scale by unit type.
    3. that are more abundant, more units of each type, since they’re smaller! you could fit way more in the box.)
    4. units that fit with others. Carriers and transports should be wide enough to be able to carry stuff without wobbling.

I think this would be successful as an expansion sold separately, or as a major incentive to get a new board (or micro -reprint of an old board.) I can’t help but feel that the franchise is wasting the brand on larger scale miniatures for the tactical hex board games. What I want is something that can be used in the traditional game, units that are smaller, not larger! :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m