• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Ok, so what do you guys think about HBG pulling out some of the Global Sets in favor of these new ones?

I for one liked the others better, but I want to know what everyone else thinks?

Let me hear your opinions on what you like.

Do you like the voting system?

How can it improve?

I for one like a numbered vote from the best, all the way to the least.

Just curious, what you guys think? :-)

• Customizer

I wasn’t sure what you were speaking of at first JB so I checked it out. I’m still pleased with the line-up. All the sets I really want are there. As of late I’m looking at Coach’s shape ways stuff and he has gliders for everyone there now so I’m happy.

I’ll be pre-ordering soon for UK and I’m damned well loving that set my friend!

• You guys drive me nuts with envy(in a good way), so much so I ordered a second set of
    German pieces(minors this time) and the US supplement set.
    I could not wait for my preordered UK set!
    They have been dispatched(from Germany).
    I am hoping my 4 year old says: where is the Tiger? To which I  will reply: well done, there isn’t one is this set.
    She will, I am sure, insist on landing a Ft on a moving Carrier.

• @John:

Ok, so what do you guys think about HBG pulling out some of the Global Sets in favor of these new ones?

I don’t grasp what you mean by “pulling out” sets “in favour” of new ones, nor which “these new ones” you’re referring to.  Could you please elaborate?  Has HBG announced that it’s changing something, or are you asking if people would be in favour of HBG making a change that you’re recommending?

@CWO:

@John:

I don’t grasp what you mean by “pulling out” sets “in favour” of new ones, nor which “these new ones” you’re referring to.�  Could you please elaborate?�  Has HBG announced that it’s changing something, or are you asking if people would be in favour of HBG making a change that you’re recommending?� Â

Marc, there were over 20 sets on HBG’s website and the other day, they took over half of them off their website. A lot of the ones I liked. One was a South American and another was a Spanish set, that I liked. They were very obscure sets.

They put a new Italian set in their place.

I guess you can say, I was disappointed when they were pulled off the website.

I was also asking everyone, if they like the voting system and could it be improved?

I also wandered if others, like myself, like the obscure sets or not?

Marc, let me know if I make better since this morning. I’ve had my coffee and the Spurs won, LOL, so I’m great this morning. :-D

@toblerone77:

I wasn’t sure what you were speaking of at first JB so I checked it out. I’m still pleased with the line-up. All the sets I really want are there. As of late I’m looking at Coach’s shape ways stuff and he has gliders for everyone there now so I’m happy.

I’ll be pre-ordering soon for UK and I’m damned well loving that set my friend!

Ok, so you like the current sets, so that tells me that the majority, didn’t feel the way I do about these obscure sets.

Do you like the voting system?

I’m loving the UK set. I’m with you there buddy! :-D

@wittmann:

You guys drive me nuts with envy(in a good way), so much so I ordered a second set of
    German pieces(minors this time) and the US supplement set.
    I could not wait for my preordered UK set!
    They have been dispatched(from Germany).
    I am hoping my 4 year old says: where is the Tiger? To which I  will reply: well done, there isn’t one is this set.
    She will, I am sure, insist on landing a Ft on a moving Carrier.

I’m glad we could feed your addiction. It is cool that you can have fun with your kids with your hobby.

Maybe you can teach her someday to play. :-)

• @John:

Marc, let me know if I make better since this morning. I’ve had my coffee and the Spurs won, LOL, so I’m great this morning.

Yes, the coffee helped.  I originally thought you meant that HBG had discontinued some of its existing Battle Pieces in order to produce new sets, or that some of the proposed HBG Global War Expansion Sets (http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Global-War-Exp-Sets_c_449.html) on which people were originally asked to vote a few months ago had been moved up in the production cue and had jumped ahead of some long-planned regular Battle Piece sets that have been at the design stage for a year or so (like the French WWII set).  If I understand correctly now, you’re saying that the list of proposed HBG Global War Expansion Sets has been altered, with some early proposals dropped and some new ones added.

• John Brown: I have no doubt she will play me (and win). What sort of father would I be, if I did not let her win?
    Actually, I thought the pieces had arrived the morning, only to find it was a package for my wife.
    Maybe tomorrow….

@CWO:

@John:

Marc, let me know if I make better since this morning. I’ve had my coffee and the Spurs won, LOL, so I’m great this morning.

Yes, the coffee helped.  I originally thought you meant that HBG had discontinued some of its existing Battle Pieces in order to produce new sets, or that some of the proposed HBG Global War Expansion Sets (http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Global-War-Exp-Sets_c_449.html) on which people were originally asked to vote a few months ago had been moved up in the production cue and had jumped ahead of some long-planned regular Battle Piece sets that have been at the design stage for a year or so (like the French WWII set).  If I understand correctly now, you’re saying that the list of proposed HBG Global War Expansion Sets has been altered, with some early proposals dropped and some new ones added.

You got it buddy and the coffee helped for sure! :-D

@wittmann:

John Brown: I have no doubt she will play me (and win). What sort of father would I be, if I did not let her win?
    Actually, I thought the pieces had arrived the morning, only to find it was a package for my wife.
    Maybe tomorrow….

LOL, would she be axis or allies?

That is a bummer when you are expecting and anticipating something, only to find out, that it is your wife’s package. and she is gleaming with joy. :-)

• I think she would want to be England.
    I have brought her up saying the UK (on a map) was England. I mean it was, wasn’t it?
    I am not a lover  of Union.

She told me last week she is supporting England at the World Cup. That is school
    and  peer pressure for you. I will have to break the bad news to her on Sunday morning, when they fail to beat my Italy. Might show her highlights!

@wittmann:

I think she would want to be England.
    I have brought her up saying the UK (on a map) was England. I mean it was, wasn’t it?
    I am not a lover  of Union.

She told me last week she is supporting England at the World Cup. That is school
    and  peer pressure for you. I will have to break the bad news to her on Sunday morning, when they fail to beat my Italy. Might show her highlights!

She seams to learn things fast. Maybe she won’t take it to hard, if England loses and Italy wins. :-)

• She better get used to it: Italy always beat England. (Except at Rugby. But it is  getting harder for them.)
    It is fine. She is English. I am the Italian.

@wittmann:

She better get used to it: Italy always beat England. (Except at Rugby. But it is  getting harder for them.)
    It is fine. She is English. I am the Italian.

Well as long as you are both good sports about, it is all in good fun to cheer for your favorite teams, LOL. :-D

• @John:

You got it buddy and the coffee helped for sure!

In one of his books, James Dunnigan said that coffee was the second most important liquid in the US Navy after ship fuel.  Some sailors would probably rank it even higher.

@CWO:

@John:

You got it buddy and the coffee helped for sure!

In one of his books, James Dunnigan said that coffee was the second most important liquid in the US Navy after ship fuel.  Some sailors would probably rank it even higher.

LOL, I really just started drinking it this year. I only drink one small cup a day, but I always look forward to it. I guess I’m slowly, getting addicted to it. :-)

• @John:

LOL, I really just started drinking it this year. I only drink one small cup a day, but I always look forward to it. I guess I’m slowly, getting addicted to it.

You’ll know you’ve reached WWII military coffee-consumption levels when you become immune to it.  One of the senior officers stationed on Midway Island at the time of the 1942 attack was (as I recall) a Marine colonel who habitually drank coffee throughout the day, including a cup around midnight before going to bed.  As tends to happen to officers in wartime, he would sometimes be woken up by aide at 3:00 or so in the morning to take delivery of an urgent message.  He’d read the message, sign for it, then go straight back to sleep without any problems.

@CWO:

@John:

LOL, I really just started drinking it this year. I only drink one small cup a day, but I always look forward to it. I guess I’m slowly, getting addicted to it.

You’ll know you’ve reached WWII military coffee-consumption levels when you become immune to it.  One of the senior officers stationed on Midway Island at the time of the 1942 attack was (as I recall) a Marine colonel who habitually drank coffee throughout the day, including a cup around midnight before going to bed.  As tends to happen to officers in wartime, he would sometimes be woken up by aide at 3:00 or so in the morning to take delivery of an urgent message.  He’d read the message, sign for it, then go straight back to sleep without any problems.

Man, I couldn’t do that. I would be up all night, LOL. :-D

• Customizer

Wittmann,
    United Kingdom, England and Great Britain I think pretty much all mean the same thing. Which one you use I think is pretty much the taste of the user. So I guess your little girl just prefers England while you prefer United Kingdom (or do you just use the initials UK? I guess that could be considered a fourth choice).
    Actually, I may be wrong, but I think England and Great Britain refer to the actual territory of the British Isles while United Kingdom refers to all of the British Empire at the time (Canada, South Africa, India, etc.) If I’m wrong about that last part, feel free to correct me.

John Brown,
    I know what you are saying about the Global Expansion sets. There used to be more listed. They took some off and added “British and Italian Super Weapons”.
    The ones they took off were obviously not as popular. I can’t even remember most of them so I’m guessing that I wasn’t interested in any of them. One that I was interested in involved the Allies taking on Russia after defeating the Axis, so I understand your pain some. I’m sorry if you were interested in them, but sometimes that’s just the way it goes. You just have to remember that HBG is a business and Coach can’t afford to make a whole new set for just a handful of people. The ones that are still up there I would imagine got a lot more votes.
    I wish they would list them by number. It seems like every time I got to the Global Expansion Sets page, they are in different order.
    My top five are:
    Allied Super Weapons
    Axis Super Weapons
    Plan Z
    British and Italian Super Weapons.
    Africa At War

It looks like Island Warfare is the most popular. It’s not only in the #1 position, but they already have some sculpts planned for it. Personally, I am not all that interested in this one, but like I said before, majority rules.
    One I can’t believe is still up there is Zombie Apocalypse 1943. That just seems stupid to me. Then again, I’ve never been a fan of zombie movies anyway. Apparently enough people like the idea because it’s still on the list for possible production. Well, if that one does get made eventually, I won’t be getting it.
    As for all the others not on my above list, I guess it depends on what kind of sculpts come with it. Like the two new box games they have planned, “Midway” and “Kursk”. I’m not particularly interested in either of those games, but some of the sculpts they are planning for them look fabulous. Of course, I am addicted to collecting any and all new sculpts HBG puts out.
    For example, I bought multiple sets of the Japanese Supplement and Expansion sets IN ALL FOUR COLORS! I haven’t played Global 1939 yet (although I do have the map). I only play Global 1940, Anniversary, 1942 and the smaller games. In other words, I haven’t included any of the distinctly different options for Japanese pieces (Kwangtung army, veteran units, Thai units). So, I only use the Burnt Orange units, but I still have tons of the other colors as well and they just sit there in their containers. Yet, I just can’t deal with the idea of NOT having them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m