• I’m just wondering if people play with the orignial rules or are now playin with the tournament rules?

Thanks

• We played the tournement rules for half a year but however came back to the original rules.

OOB Rules have more charme in my eyes and were better when you have enough time to play and its more challening to do “the right moves”.
    (Only thing we have changed is additional Set Up: + 5 Inf and 3 Art in Hannover and one cruiser near East Africa and we took the USW Rules from the PTRs…)

• Customizer

In my opinion, the tournament rules are an absolute must for playing this game. The two-space move adds realism and fluidity to the game, and the economic/political collapse rules give players an actual reachable goal for taking out a country, as opposed to driving straight for capitals.

I heartily hope that if there is a second edition of this game, these rules become OOB.

• Since the tournament rules exist I’ve been playing with them. I think about 20 games since last year.
    Only house rule we have is an impassable Switzerland.
    I think the rules are quite good as they are now. If there ever is going to be a 2nd edition I think I will buy it anyway. I loe this game. Some friends of mine like it even more then ‘regular’ A&A. I think it is quite different from Global, but evenly fun.
    I hope Larry will make more games with a different theme then WW1. Napoleonic theme for example. Or Imperialism. Or Cold War.

• out of the box rules take way too long since the tournament rules have been out that is all I’ve used. I really hope for a 2nd edition too. Bigger map,a few more unit types(heavy artillery,Bombers.) and Romania and possibly Bulgaria added as individual powers. This game and Anniversary are my favorite ones.

• We are still playing A&A 1914 with more enthusiasm than any other game.
    After getting frustrated with the original rules and the tournament rules, we experimented with a Railroad Rule and found that the game moved much quicker and was more enjoyable. We are now able to complete games, with experienced players, in one day.
    We now use a set of 7 Optional Rules [A.Swiss Neutrality, B.Russian Revolution, C.Italy Neutral First Round, D.Railroads, E.Rail Into Battle, F.Railroads in Africa, and G.4 Units Building Limit in India].
    The perfect game, in my opinion, uses Options A,C,D,F, and G. Playing with Options B and E give an advantage to CP.
    Likelihood of CP victory has just about evened out with these options, and everyone is really enjoying the challenge.

Notes on Optional Rules we use:
    A. Swiss Neutrality: Switzerland is always impassable to all players.
    B. Russian Revolution: As explained in the Original Rules; We give this as an option but prefer to play without a Revolution.
    C. Italy Neutral First Round: Italy can build, but can’t be attacked and can’t attack for the First Round.
    D. Railroads: No land unit is restricted in the number of spaces it can move as long as the move is over friendly, connected territory. Thus,(for example) Ottomans can move a force from Constantinople through A-H and into Munich on one move, if Serbia or Albania are in CP control. No one can use the rails into a battle, out of or into a contested Territory, or in conjunction with a transport movement.
    E. Rail Into Battle: Modifies Option D, giving a big advantage to CP. Allows rails to take units into and out of contested territories or straight into an attack.
    F. Railroads In Africa: Extends Option D into Africa
    G. Four Units Building Limit In India: In all fairness, this should be a standard rule.

• @ossel:

In my opinion, the tournament rules are an absolute must for playing this game. The two-space move adds realism and fluidity to the game, and the economic/political collapse rules give players an actual reachable goal for taking out a country, as opposed to driving straight for capitals.

I heartily hope that if there is a second edition of this game, these rules become OOB.

I don´t like the Set Up changes for Tournement Rules. They make Russia too strong with 6 additional Infantries. US arrives much faster in Europe with the new port +1 movement rule, most of the time with Russia full in play.
    Africa becomes worthless map space…

You only get me to play Tournement Rules with OOB Setup (imo the french and british naval change is helpful)

• Anyone playing this online using the Battlemap app?

• I wish I knew how to do that!

• @Tavenier:

I wish I knew how to do that!

Download the Battlemap app in the Software section of the Forum and I will teach you how.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m