What are some good Russian strategies?

• I’m not sure if Ukraine is a good attack. I was just saying that if you do a full Ukraine attack mathematically you have a 96% chance to win, but then you leave West Russia with about 80% chance with the rest of your forces.

• Are you sure that 9 inf, 1 arm, 1 art vs. 3 inf, 1 art, 1 arm is a 80% chance? I am pretty sure it is not…

• Whoops sorry. I was thinking about something else, doing a triple attack (belo/west/ukraine). If you do a triple attack some of those chances are 80%, you’re right 9 inf 1 arm 1 art is 99%.

I’m on the fence about the ukraine attack. I’ve gone from extremely enthusiastic to lukewarm on it. It does get rid of a lot of German gear, but it exposes your tanks. Sometimes Germany can afford the effort to take out those tanks, and sometimes not.

• I would definitely expect the germans to counter the tanks, to me it is completely worth it for germany to do so. However, I estimate the trade of 2 russian armor, 1 artillery, 3 inf to be well worth 1 german armor, 1 art, 1 fig, 3 inf. I could see how it may not be worth it for some though. I just hate german figs.

• i like to strafe ukraine, 3 inf, i art and three armor, if first round is good and german roll is weak, hit again if your infantry is toast pull back for next round.  it does leave them that extra fighter so it is a real tough call either way. i have tended to pull back rather than lose 3 tanks but i might try the other next time to see what kind of footing it leaves germany.  its just hard to sacrifice those tanks!

• If you are going to hit it… kill it.

The point of Ukraine over someplace safer (like Belorussia) is killing the FIG, that means taking Ukraine.
    Also, by taking Ukraine, yes you sacrifice armor (that you WILL miss later), but you also protect your West Russia Stack.  Strafing Ukraine and NOT doing Belorussia means that Germany can bring INF from Bel and survivors from Ukraine to attack West Russia, as well as AF and ARM from Eastern and Balkans.  By taking EITHER Ukraine of Bel, you reduce the INF force he can use, and make a G1 strike on West Russia FAR too costly to consider… meaning Russia can advance AGAIN in R2… and do so safely.

Go hard or go home.

• Another risk with Ukraine is it leaves Caucuses less well defended.  Germany can get there with Amphib forces, BB, and AF.

• very true switch, you can lose your complex g1 if not careful but i don’t think it would be worth it to germany due to the amount of air he would lose.  i do like the idea of making the army in ukraine disappear but if you go 3 inf 3 armor you don’t have a lot of backup for r2 .

the thing i like about russia is they set the tone, the last game i played they went steady and challenged germany to devote themselves to me, giving the atlantic and africa to my team.  good thing they landed in europe because he was knocking on the caucasus heavy, i got in one good strafe and then uk landed up north drawing his fire.  after that is was the slow march to berlin.

• Just watch the back door…
    You have enough forces (if you use them well) to REALLY slow Japan down in their march on you… Yakut, Sinkiang and Perisa have to be your hard points.  And Persia means pulling forces from Caucuses to head to defense duty in the south… another reason to start stacking Cuacuses early…

• last game i staged in novo, when the japs went north i smacked them then pulled back.  when they showed up in the center i smacked them again….and pulled back.  i think as russia you have to not get too excited about pushing back and continue to lobby your allies!

• @ncscswitch:

Another risk with Ukraine is it leaves Caucuses less well defended.  Germany can get there with Amphib forces, BB, and AF.

Not really a big deal though switch. You can bring 1 inf, 1 arm via transport and drop them. You can only bring 2 fighters. Ukraine one is dead, west europe, norway, germany cannot reach and land anywhere. So, the most you can bring is 1 inf, 1 arm, 2 figs, 1 bmb, bb shot. That gives you about 20% shot on caucus, with only 4 inf 2 figs there.

• Good point Switch about the need to hit either Belorussia or Ukraine to protect W Russia. If you don’t W Russia is toast, no matter what you put there (unless you get incredible luck, which you can never plan for). The Ukraine has to at least be strafed, but why not go all the way…

• @88:

Did I mention that it’s more than just a Fighter… it’s also an Artillery and an Armor killed. Also the Ukraine is worth 3 IPCs ( 29 IPCs sounds like 8 Inf and an Arm on R2).

With an aggressive Russian purchase of 3 Inf and 3 Arm on R1, you end up with 5 Armor total on the board- not bad. If you go with a more conservative 5 Inf/ Art/ Arm you still have some teeth and a little more bulk. If you go 8 Inf you shouldn’t try to take the Ukraine at all as you won’t have enough offense left on the board.

I respect the Belorussia move- it’s solid- I just think there’s more of a long term gain for the allies when the Ukraine is taken.

I, too, like smacking the fighter in the Ukraine…  It forces Germany to use its plane(Balkans) to splash the DD in the Med, rather than having a plane for both the DD(Ukraine) and Egypt(Balkans).  This move keeps Africa painted tan at least an extra round(if not permanently).  If the Germans happen to go after Jordan rather than Egypt and fail…  The Ukraine attack could potentially open the door for the Indian fleet to enter the Med.  The Germans are effectively neutered at this point…

• Well, Egypt is still likely to go under on G1. The fighter in Balkans is used against the DD with the bb/trans, then Egypt is attacked with 2 inf 1 art 1 arm 1 bomber, which overcomes 1 inf 1 tank 1 fighter.

• 2007 AAR League

hey trihero are you still looking for a game?

• Ya I’m still looking for a game. I made a post in the games forum but in case you haven’t seen it yet then here it is. Which side do you want to play?

• 2007 AAR League

cool i’m in. what do i do for dicey. i’ll check forum

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m