Triple A returning 403 errors. Guessing it's my work network blocking something.

• '16

There has been a change to some hardware and software at my work network.

I can “view” the forum from a “play by forum” save game, but when I try to “test” either the dice server or post a turn summary from the game engine I get an error:

failed to login to forum.  server responded with status code 403.

I’m pretty sure that this will be related to some firewall/router/port issue.  Anyone else encounter this before and know the work around?

• Customizer

The password and/or username you put into TripleA are wrong

• '16

I did check that, and even if the user/PW was wrong, I didn’t think it would stop the dice server from working.

I can take the same map file, and I use drop box so I’m always loading it from a common source, and end up with it working as normal from my home or laptop, and not working at all on the work network.  The only thing that has changed is I got an upgrade from a windows XP to windows 7 professional box.

• Customizer

check your proxy settings in triplea, and make sure they match your proxy settings for your web browser

• '16

Saddly, I think the IT guys might have won this round!

At this point I dont think it’s a web browser issue at all.

I can open a forum from within AAA.  (Open forum button)
    I can’t test post to the dice server nor roll any dice from within the game engine.
    I can’t test post to the forum, nor post a turn summary from within the game engine.

I feel that there has to be a security setting somewhere in the OS itself that is blocking AAA from accessing the outside world.
    I searched through the control pannel but couldn’t find anything that looked like it was user accessable.

Anyone with enough network security skills outthere to point me to a setting?  For all I know it’s hidden behind user privilage levels.

• For using TripleA with it’s online features (connecting to dice server, forum posting and lobby access) javaw.exe from Java Runtime Environment has to be allowed to connect to the Internet through ports 80, 443 and - if you want to use the lobby - port 3304. So it seems to be a firewall issue. Your browser is allowed to pass, javaw.exe maybe is not.

HTH  :-)

• '16

It probably does.  Any way to see what ports are open or closed and/or edit them?

• @PGMatt:

It probably does.  Any way to see what ports are open or closed and/or edit them?

That depends on the operating system, software and maybe also hardware and network infrastructure you are working with.
    Hard to say without further information.

• '16

Thanks for trying to help P@nther, its frustrating me.

I went from an XP box to a Windows 7 professional OS.

Is there a difference between JAVA and JAVAW?

I can see in the list of allowed programs that JAVA is cleared, but JAVAW isn’t even on the list.

• Yes, these are two different files.

java.exe is the application that is allowed to use/access the console while javaw.exe is the “console-less” Windows application.
    Or in other words java.exe targets the CONSOLE subsystem while javaw.exe targets the WINDOWS subsystem.

TripleA definitely uses javaw.exe to access the web.
    So java.exe won’t help you out here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m