• But Wes…

It worked against you the last time :-)  You never breached Sinkiang or Yakut :-P

• Btw I like stacking the Russian tanks in Moscow after turn 1. From there they can push on the German front, as well as push into Sinkiang once the Japanese get there. The central Japanese prong is very weak and if you can crash it proactively then it takes some turns for the Japanese to retake it.

• But Wes…

It worked against you the last time   You never breached Sinkiang or Yakut

I know you’re not seriously banking on 4% or lower dice happening. So why even kid about it?  :x

So now wouldn’t you say that the Axis needs a bid? I think Japan is too slow even if I abandon the East (I don’t abandon India anymore btw), and you think they’re too slow if you do a bit of Russian defense, while Germany is receiving a big butt-whooping : P

• I’ll tell you what Wes… for our rematch… I’ll take the Allies again and give you a bid of 6 IPC’s…

Are you game to try it?

• 8 IPCs and it’s a deal?

• Split the difference… 7 IPC’s, used however you like :-)

That seems like something you guys like to do… post in AAR to discuss a strat and then go battle it out :wink:

• Well, I am new to revised, by a Classic gamer of many, many years.

I am more than happy to lay down a challenge, then give it a shot.

Basically, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.  That is why the Sea Lion Scare discussion got shot to sh*t because DM was willing to help me test it, and why the 11 IPC PAsia bid concept is on hold due to me getting BLASTED by dice in the DF game.

As for me and Tri… it will not be too many mroe games before he and I can no longer effectively play each other… we’ll both be so knowledgable of the other that the dice will be the main factor, not eithr of us (we are close to that point now)

But… I truly enjoy the challenge…

Axis and Allies is my addiciton… along with cigs, beer, wine, my wife…

• I think we’re just trying to figure out what bid is appropriate at this point. I’m sure that either of us could beat the other as the Allies without terrible dice.

• Split the difference… 7 IPC’s, used however you like

You just don’t want me to be able to purchase an additional transport piece for the bid, or a tank/inf, do you?  :-P

• Actually, I’ve been having a lot of problems playing Allies/Russia.  I always find that the multiplicity of threats that Russia needs to defend against really pulls it in too many different directions.  My buys are usually a big rush into West Russia, and then all infantry plus one tank for an offensive punch (if I can afford it).  But then I find myself stretched too think against either the Caucuses or protecting Leningrad (oh I should mention that I usually have to play minor victory because of time constraints).  So, the trade off is difficult, and I am forced to stretch myself to protect against the Axis either taking Leningrad or pushing through the Caucuses to take either Moscow (usually not) or India.

Any thoughts?

• A little more aggressive…

5 Inf/Art/Arm, or 4 Inf/3 Art, or 3 Inf/3 Arm

8 Inf/ Art/ 2 Arm to W Russia (should take with 5 Inf left), 3 Inf/ Art/ 2 Arm/ 2 Ftr to Ukraine (should take with 1 Arm).

6 Inf to Buryatia, 2 Inf to Russia, 2 Inf to Sinkiang, 2 Inf to Caucasus, land Ftrs in Caucasus, Russian AA to W Russia.

Collect 29 IPCs (pretty f’ing good purchase on R2), deny Germany access to the Caucasus, deny Germany a counterattack in W Russia, eliminate Ukrainian forces- and most importantly as the game lengthens- the Ftr parked there (also rubs out an 3 Inf, an Arm and Art). I don’t think it’s possible to argue that every German Ftr isn’t precious. Deny Japan an easy IPC in Buryatia, fortify Sinkiang as Switch said, and still manage to purchase some offense. Germany is also forced to take back the Ukraine, which thins their offense out a bit and means potentially one less Ftr in either SZ 15 or Egypt, making the dice a little more unpredictable.

You then proceed to stack in W Russia for as long as possible, and trade the Ukraine when lightly (1 or 2 Inf) defended, as it’s worth 3 IPCs.

The math of this opening move is also in favor of Russia- loss of 3 Inf/ Art/2 Arm=23 IPCs in equipment lost. Germany loses 28 IPCs worth. Russia gains 3 IPCs for taking the Ukraine, and the Armor will potentially take out an Inf on the way out (50/50 chance). That’s the potential for an 11 IPC swing in material. What you gain strategically is important to think about as well. How many IPCs is it worth to deny Germany the use of a Ftr for an entire game? Especially the longer the game goes. Anyone who’s lost a Bomber early on knows what I mean. It’s huge.

Every time I’ve posted this someone’s tried to shoot it down, but I don’t see the downside, provided you’re up to the task of reinforcing Russia quickly (the loss of Russian Armor can be painful, but necessary).

Whenever I’m Germany and my opposition leaves me the Ukraine, I feel like I already have an advantage. Can someone explain to me why this isn’t a solid opening move with Russia?

• I think the Bel/WR open is an even better trade of units.

• Follow-Up thoughts on Russia…

A slight modification to my earlier post… only 3 ARM to West Russia, the 4th (from Russia) non-combat moves to Yakut.  This gives you offensive punch with those 8 INF you have in Bury and Yakut against Japan.

AFter taking West Russia and Belorussia (and then losing Belorussia), Russia should focus on taking Ukraine.  This is a tough area for Germahy to get forces to, shields your Caucuses IC nicely, and is worth more IPC’s than most other territories in the battle zone.

Now here comes the challenging part…
    If Japan is pressuring in Northern Asia, and has killed a lot of your forces in Bury, start moving INF from Russia east via Novo (they can then either go to Yakut or Sinkiang as needed).  But if Japan is also pushing through India, start sending tropps into Kazakh from Russia.

You will need your Caucuses built forces for Ukriane, so to reinforce in the Middle East you need to use the Russia built forces.  Start sending them via Kazakh (in case you need to divert any to Sinkiang along the way), and then to Persia (if still held by the Allies) to shield Caucuses from a southern strike by Japan.

If Japan is NOT pressing, then you can use the Russia built forces to move into Archangel to start rebuilding your northern defense, to reinforce the West Russia Stack, or to allow you to add 8 INF to Caucuses (4 from Russia, 4 from the build).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m