Questions on my first Global 1940 game?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

It is turn 3 and it is UKE turn.

The Situation:

The USA and Russia are not at war yet. Russia looks ready for battle. The USA is getting close, but still does not have enough Navy to take on Germany or Italy, but their third turn is coming.

Germany has total control over France with the help of the Italians in Southern France. Germany has annihilated all of UK’s fleet in the Atlantic except for 1 destroyer. UK’s fighters were all destroyed during their scramble. There is a fleet of German ships in SZ 109 and 113.

Italy has annihilated all allied ships in the Mediterranean and has total control of the sea there. The French still control all their territories in Africa, but the UK has lost all territories in North Africa, except for Alexandria. I have 2 INF in Rhodesia with the Italians pressing them to take South Africa.

My Options I thought of:

I could slowly build a Navy by means of Canada and South Africa, but I don’t think that will help. I think the USA’s Navy will be my only hope for Europe.

I know I probably need to start some land forces by way of South Africa via the minor complex, before the French territories are attacked in North Africa. The UK still has Gibraltar, but probably not for long.

What should I do?

Should I build transports in Canada loaded with INF and stay under protection of the USA Navy till they land in North Africa?

Should I be adding land forces in South Africa to push back the Italians?

Any thoughts?

Remember, I’m playing this game by myself, so it will take me awhile to complete.

It is obvious I didn’t play the UK right, but I’m just learning this game, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :-D

Thanks,

John

• 1. You say UK lost all of its territories in North Africa except for Alexandria, does this mean the Italians have Egypt and you used an Amphibious assault to take back Alexandria (or Italy did opposite to Egypt), or are you confusing Alexandria and Egypt?
    2. I am by no means in expert on U.K. as I find it is one of my tougher powers to play (along with Japan) but i will try and help you out of your little jam
    3. In terms of your take on how US, Russia, Germany, and Italy are doing it sounds very usual (including loss of France and UK navy) so don’t worry as the axis have not made any Game winning victories and you are still in very good shape
    4. Take a deep breath, Allies are meant to be losing in the beginning and right now the UK is at its worst which is before US and Russia come on the scene
    5. don’t worry about South Africa, If all Italy has to take it is the few inf and art from Ethiopia/somaliland to threaten it then it is not really that big of a threat and you should spend more in defense of Egypt then of SA. If Italy has captured Egypt then you have bigger problems then South Africa. In either case just buy 1 or 2 inf to defend if Italy is pushing SA, but your money can be much better spent in Britain and Egypt
    6. Gibraltar is infinitely more important than French North Africa despite IPC difference because of Gibraltars ability to both bottle up the med and provide an invaluable staging point for allied naval assault in Med
    7. Canada I find is not very useful except for transporting units already in Canada to defend Britain
    8. Before you build any Navy whatsoever make sure the bulk of your IPC’s are going towards the defense of Britain. Once the threat of a sealion has passed (German Invasion of Britain) then you can start focusing more on Navy
    9. Overall your best course of action should be buying a lot of inf in Britain with any leftover IPC going to the defense of Egypt which is by far the most important non capital UK territory. I would also recommend shipping most if not all of Canadian forces to Britain so you can spend more on defense of Egypt. Don’t make any major counterattacks until US and or Russia enter the fight (unless Italy is stupid and leaves one inf or something ridiculous to defend a territory next to a stack of your army). Hold out, help will arrive soon and then you can make your move
    10. welcome to Axis and Allies and i hope you have an awesome time with it :)

@BluGerman:

1. You say UK lost all of its territories in North Africa except for Alexandria, does this mean the Italians have Egypt and you used an Amphibious assault to take back Alexandria (or Italy did opposite to Egypt), or are you confusing Alexandria and Egypt?
    2. I am by no means in expert on U.K. as I find it is one of my tougher powers to play (along with Japan) but i will try and help you out of your little jam
    3. In terms of your take on how US, Russia, Germany, and Italy are doing it sounds very usual (including loss of France and UK navy) so don’t worry as the axis have not made any Game winning victories and you are still in very good shape
    4. Take a deep breath, Allies are meant to be losing in the beginning and right now the UK is at its worst which is before US and Russia come on the scene
    5. don’t worry about South Africa, If all Italy has to take it is the few inf and art from Ethiopia/somaliland to threaten it then it is not really that big of a threat and you should spend more in defense of Egypt then of SA. If Italy has captured Egypt then you have bigger problems then South Africa. In either case just buy 1 or 2 inf to defend if Italy is pushing SA, but your money can be much better spent in Britain and Egypt
    6. Gibraltar is infinitely more important than French North Africa despite IPC difference because of Gibraltars ability to both bottle up the med and provide an invaluable staging point for allied naval assault in Med
    7. Canada I find is not very useful except for transporting units already in Canada to defend Britain
    8. Before you build any Navy whatsoever make sure the bulk of your IPC’s are going towards the defense of Britain. Once the threat of a sealion has passed (German Invasion of Britain) then you can start focusing more on Navy
    9. Overall your best course of action should be buying a lot of inf in Britain with any leftover IPC going to the defense of Egypt which is by far the most important non capital UK territory. I would also recommend shipping most if not all of Canadian forces to Britain so you can spend more on defense of Egypt. Don’t make any major counterattacks until US and or Russia enter the fight (unless Italy is stupid and leaves one inf or something ridiculous to defend a territory next to a stack of your army). Hold out, help will arrive soon and then you can make your move
    10. welcome to Axis and Allies and i hope you have an awesome time with it :)

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I only have 1 artillery in Alexandria. Italy is surrounding it at the moment on all sides. The closest UK infantry I have is in Rhodesia. I have 2 there. Should I send a couple of units from India, even though, I really need them there for the Japanese attacks. I still have the 3 French INF in North Africa, but I don’t see how they are going to help because they are 1 INF per French territory.

The only other option I have is to send some Russian units to retake Trans Jordan and Egypt.

Thanks for taking the time to help a fellow Axis and Allies player out. :-)

John

• If you don’t have a factory in Persia, I would get one there asap (assuming you can hold it). Build Mechs/Tanks out of Persia and South Africa until you are able to retake and hold Egypt.
    Egypt should be your #1 priority as long as London isn’t seriously threatened.
    You also have the option of building a transport+inf+art in South Africa to get reinforcements into Egypt in 1 round.

@ChocolatePancake:

If you don’t have a factory in Persia, I would get one there asap (assuming you can hold it). Build Mechs/Tanks out of Persia and South Africa until you are able to retake and hold Egypt.
    Egypt should be your #1 priority as long as London isn’t seriously threatened.
    You also have the option of building a transport+inf+art in South Africa to get reinforcements into Egypt in 1 round.

Great, I didn’t think about that. For right now, I guess South Africa needs to get going. Thanks for the tidbit. :-)

John

• how did the game turn out?

@BluGerman:

how did the game turn out?

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to finish it. A lot of things have been happening to me lately, has kept me from playing, so I decided to give it up till things settle down. Thanks for your advice and help my friend.

The next time I try, I let you know.

Thanks again for your help!

John

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m