Comparing Iraq 2005 with Germany 1945

• @221B:

… I’m not taking anything as personal between us here.

That’s very good. I realize some of my wordings were a bit harsh in my last post and could have been misunderstood personally. I am glad you didn’t.

there are other options such as a polite but firm reply, or simply ignoring stupid and insulting posts.

I tried the first adn it didn’t work (long long time ago) and i will not do the second. I had a reason when i chose the “principiis obsta” and the “qui tacet, consentiere videtur” for my sig :).

So sling the mud and stones if you must, just leave me out of it.  Again, I have no problems with you personally, I just expected better.

Consider yourself “collateral damage”. I do pity that collateral damage exists, but in the War against Idiocy sometimes non-idiots and even smart people like you have to suffer as well, especially if they have the bad luck of passing by or if they -for some other reasons- stand too close to the idiots.

Also, as a side issue, calling people “cowards” is equally inflammatory as “kill the fuckers” in my opinion.  It is only somewhat less crude/more polite, don’t think I will equate the severity of an insult with explitives that describe it.

I very strongly disagree. Thereis nothing more final than killing someone else. An insult based on a perceived character trait is different from the wish to kill each and every of a set of people. The “fuckers” and the “cowards” have about the same quality. The “kill the”-part adds a totally new quality IMHO.

• @F_alk:

Also, as a side issue, calling people “cowards” is equally inflammatory as “kill the fuckers” in my opinion.  It is only somewhat less crude/more polite, don’t think I will equate the severity of an insult with explitives that describe it.

I very strongly disagree. Thereis nothing more final than killing someone else. An insult based on a perceived character trait is different from the wish to kill each and every of a set of people. The “fuckers” and the “cowards” have about the same quality. The “kill the”-part adds a totally new quality IMHO.

Well I see your point.  IMO, there are some things worth dying for and there are things that are more final than death and these are related to the character of a person.  Here the character assassination, “fuckers” and “cowards” imply similar defects on the character of an individual (not that you or I or anyone else on this board will have the final say on the quality of someones character).  The “kill the” part is only incedental to the disrespect.

• And Janus, my comments on the Marshall plan and that the US were cowards are in exactly the same post. Please be precise in your quotations.

my deepest apologies for making the mistake

You implicitly defend your countryman, part of the reason why i ask myself wheter you are a nationalist

im going to correct you here, because i dont want you to be under any false impressions. but then i will stop, because to be honest, i dont care how you feel about me, as long as i have made myself clear. I am absolutely not a nationalist, nor did i defend my “countrymen”, being those you referred to as bad. i share your opinon of those who make the ignorant comments. I choose to ignore them, because if i engaged them, i would frustrate myself, detract from the board, and accomplish nothing because ignorant people will not change ignorant opinions. i dont view the situation as

Your rejection of that concept is comparable to you watching how a person is beaten up, and then you complain when a third person slaps you in the face to make you step in and end the brutality.

because while i sympathize with those who may take offense to these ignorant opinions 1) they are in no physical danger from them 2) they are ignorant people who hold these opinions, so there is no reason to take it seriously 3) if they have a real problem with it, they can take it up with the moderators, who im sure will take action if it is creating a hostile environment for a board member. i dont sympathize with you, because your offense, while commendable, is not necessary. if you choose to engage them in the same way, thats your perrogative. i choose to ignore them.

as for the defense of countrymen, i have defended americans in general from the abuse you lob, because like baker, i expected better from you, since you are not an ignorant person, and since i am american as well, meaning your abuse falls on me as well. dont mistake my silence in the face of some ignorant people making ignorant comments for approval, or support.

if you still choose to view me as a nationalist, or whatever else you want, fine. like i said, i dont care.

• Yep… looks like another thread gone haywire! You gotta love it!

• CC#2 writes:

if you honestly think that the UK could have lasted alone against Germany without Canadian support

Imperious writes:

say things like “without Canada WW2 is a lost cause”

The statement you posted did not look like “a funny from CC, who is allways making jokes in political threads” It was rather looking like another false pride thing being after all a Canadian… The above two statements are not too different IMO. You are entitled to think differently.

• @Imperious:

CC#2 writes:

if you honestly think that the UK could have lasted alone against Germany without Canadian support

Imperious writes:

say things like “without Canada WW2 is a lost cause”

The statement you posted did not look like “a funny from CC, who is allways making jokes in political threads” It was rather looking like another false pride thing being after all a Canadian… The above two statements are not too different IMO. You are entitled to think differently.

connecting those two comments requires several leaps and assumptions which i did not make, and yet you did.  Stop that.

• And since were posting things that have nothing to do with German/ Iraq comparisons… I have this friend who has systemic Dandita which i guess attacks his stomach and intestinal tract… The problem with this guy is he want to cure it by a “diet change” rahter than taking proven cures to stop its growth and kill it. I found out that two prescriptions  Amphotericin B and Flucanazole are ways to deal with it… but he maintains that “they lead to permenent liver problems” However, i only found out that they have but a temporary effect of elevated liver functions nothing permenant only temporary… so questions:

1. Are these the correct medicines for this type of problem
    2. Are they any studies of any proven value to claim any permenent damage to live or kidney functions.

• Without Germany declaring War on the cowardous US which wouldn’t dare to enter the war on their own, we probably would have won. So, you didn’t save us from total soviet occupation, you introduced the threat of total soviet occupation.
    I wonder how many problems the US has solved that would never have been problems had the US not existed the first place.

PS: If you think that characterising the population of a nation by an adjective with a semi-appropriate reasoning to explain that characterisation is “insulting”, you might wonder what the rest of world thinks of you if one of your kind calls a billion of people “fuckers”.

And how many wars has your nation won?

Stop with the personal attacks F_alk, you marginalize yourself with that kind of crap.

If I remember correctly, Germans elected Hitler to power through a democratic process.  Yes, they are responsible for the atrocities commited by your “army that could have won the war.”

If your army had won the war without the “cowardly US getting involved”, All Jews in Europe would have been slaughtered by your nations brutal system.  Are you saying you wished that would happen?Â

No, I don’t think he is.

It took the US, USSR, Britian, France, and other nations to put a stop to the atrocities committed by your people.

Rebuilding your nation after the war was a great gesture of mercy by the allies considering what your nation committed against the rest of the world in terms of destruction and atrocities.  I for one am one glad American that my nation interviened and your nation lost.

Rune Blade

**DM EDIT: **

Becareful Rune.  I removed a line, i think it went a bit too far.
    My comments are in bold

• RB - not only did you collosally miss the point, but you . . . i don’t know how to finish this sentance without being really rude.
    But of course in your mind, you are the slammist debator having just given a solid thrashing to that motionless strawman. 
    Congrats.

I’ll be reading this thread tonight after work when I have more time.

What are the chances of a lock?

shakes Magic 8-ball

Chances look good…

• LOL too funny!… and yet not  :cry: :cry:

• Well, let’s sum this up before the lock this way…

There is some merit in the comparison between Germany and Iraq in the respective time periods.

But perhaps we should add a few more points of comparison…

Most of the residents of both nations went along with what appeared to be, and was presented as, “good for the country.”  Things like food being available again, not being subjected to outside rule, etc (the 91 Gulf War Cease Fire is dreadfully akin to Versailles, apparently we forgot THAT lesson).

When the tyrants were deposed, MOST people were pleased, and again they backed the change due to things like food being available, family not dying, etc.

And again, there were a few folks (individuals and small groups) who created chaos in the aftermath by fighting a war their nation had already lost, inflicting heavy casualties on occupation forces and natives alike.

The comparisons between Iraq and Germany died out long ago in this thread.

No real useful content, so you guys can find another thread to piss each other off in.

Will this thread be locked?

shakes Magic 8-Ball again

Yes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m