Why do the allies have such terrible dis-'advantages'?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Is there a reason?

The rules are full of NO’s the allies can’t get, and units like American handicapped sub’s which are pointless.

Whilst the axis gets all kinds of cool rules and tactical edges.

I get that because it’s a 39 game, the axis need some extra to stay in the fight. But Japan can hit 100+ before USA is even in the war!

What’s the deal?

• '14

Have you played and got Japans income over $100?  In our games and most games I’ve heard about the Allies win or are in a position to win around turn 12-13.

• In our games, 5 times the Axis won and only 1 time the Allies.

UK is strong in Mediteran theather, but cannot do anything against germany. Uk lost in all games his Home Fleet and it is not possible to built a new one until USA is at war, because of german subs and airforce combined with SBR`s on Great Britain to destroy the airfields. (We play with optional airbase and navalbase rules). Germany destroyed the airbases in London and Liverpool in one turn, and the 4 scrambled UK fighters were lost because of having no landing zones in range.

Last game Japan took San Francisco with his sneak attack in turn 3 (no way to block for USA). And with having a range of 4 with his fleet in non combat movement phase, is was possible for Japan in the following turns to reinforce San Francisco for the next 2 turns.
    So USA was out of the game.

The Eastern front is also always in german hands. German tanks with the cost of 5 (and also subs) are to cheap.
    6 IPC’s for subs and tanks would be a solution for game balance.
    With building an airbase in first impulse in Western germany you can use the bombers and by building an carrier also two fighters additionally to minimum 6 subs and the Balstic fleet to destroy the Home Fleet in North Sea.
    Maybe the Danish Straight should be closed if you are not the owner of Denmark.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Tigerman77:

Have you played and got Japans income over $100?  In our games and most games I’ve heard about the Allies win or are in a position to win around turn 12-13.

On average, America can’t declare war until the end of it’s round 4, and can do nothing, until round 5.

USA - R1  = 13 (average roll) + 5 for fall of france = 18
    USA - R2 = 13 (average roll) + 30 for Japanese attack on DEI/UK  = 61
    USA - R3 = 13 (average roll) = 74
    USA - R4 = 13 (average roll) = Over 80, Declares war on Japan
    USA - R5 = Usa can actually attack Japan.

So, Japan has from J1 to J5 to get to 100 IPCs.

Starts at 41 IPCs  +

+5 for DEI
    +5 for Singapore
    +5 for Calcutta OR Sydney  (you will probably lose 1 by J5)
    +3 Siam
    +2 Singapore
    +3 Saigon
    +1 French Indo China
    +2 Hong-Kong
    +8 (on average) From Chinese Territories, could be more if China is defeated
    +16 from Dutch east indies territories
    +1 from Rabul
    +1 from New Guinea
    +1 from Brunei
    +3 from either Calcutta or Sydney
    +1 from Bangeledesh or Queensland
    +2 from Phillipines (Might as well attack this on J5)

=100 IPC’s

That’s without an excursion into Russia, which is common, usually results in +5 or +6.

Japan gets to 90-100+ every game without having to put in too much effort, and before the USA can attack it.

• @Gargantua:

@Tigerman77:

Have you played and got Japans income over $100?  In our games and most games I’ve heard about the Allies win or are in a position to win around turn 12-13.

On average, America can’t declare war until the end of it’s round 4, and can do nothing, until round 5.

USA - R1  = 13 (average roll) + 5 for fall of france = 18
    USA - R2 = 13 (average roll) + 30 for Japanese attack on DEI/UK  = 61
    USA - R3 = 13 (average roll) = 74
    USA - R4 = 13 (average roll) = Over 80, Declares war on Japan
    USA - R5 = Usa can actually attack Japan.

So, Japan has from J1 to J5 to get to 100 IPCs.

Starts at 41 IPCs  +

+5 for DEI
    +5 for Singapore
    +5 for Calcutta OR Sydney  (you will probably lose 1 by J5)
    +3 Siam
    +2 Singapore
    +3 Saigon
    +1 French Indo China
    +2 Hong-Kong
    +8 (on average) From Chinese Territories, could be more if China is defeated
    +16 from Dutch east indies territories
    +1 from Rabul
    +1 from New Guinea
    +1 from Brunei
    +3 from either Calcutta or Sydney
    +1 from Bangeledesh or Queensland
    +2 from Phillipines (Might as well attack this on J5)

=100 IPC’s

That’s without an excursion into Russia, which is common, usually results in +5 or +6.

Japan gets to 90-100+ every game without having to put in too much effort, and before the USA can attack it.

I would love for you to post a turn by turn break down of a game you play. You seem to have very different experience than other people. I am of course not saying you are doing anything wrong. I’m just thinking a turn by turn break down might either A) point out things other people aren’t trying and bring your issues to light for everyone else or B) find mistakes you are making so they can be corrected to make for a better playing experience for yourself and everyone else.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m