Grasshopper's Pre-FMGC Game

• @ghr2:

I have not seen anyone on the forum, who live near me, that I have not already talked too.

Cost is not an issue, it is the stress of going international and the overall time investment.

We’ve had a number of international guests to the convention over the past few years, all of whom had no (or relatively little) issue getting across the border (Just don’t ask Yope about his experience … Though I do believe from our conversation about it he got a good laugh over it all; Oh, and don’t bring firearms/bullets/casings with you like another years guest did … oops).

If you’ve got the money and the time, by all means come and join us!

FYI, American cash is just as good as any others here.  Or you could just exchange it for Canadian while you’re here, but we will most certainly take US$ (as will 99.99% of stores, hotels and everywhere else).

• I will be getting a passport here eventually since there is a wedding that I will be going to in the TO area this summer.  That will take care the vast majority of my border issues.

ghr2- You can exchange money right at the border crossing.  Come up my way and cross in Port Huron (Blue Water Bridge).  Use I-94 to I-69 and then across the thumb of Michigan to the border.  That way you avoid the traffic and trouble of the Detroit/Windsor metro area and that crossing.

Hell, you could come this far (it’s about half way for you on this trip) on the way to the event and crash at my place.  That way you have just a five hour trip on Friday.

Just don’t tell the Canadians (or the US goons for that matter) that you stayed with me. :wink:

• Sponsor

WOW! A sleep over offer and a winky face all in the same post (LOL).

• @Craig:

I will be getting a passport here eventually since there is a wedding that I will be going to in the TO area this summer.  That will take care the vast majority of my border issues.

ghr2- You can exchange money right at the border crossing.  Come up my way and cross in Port Huron (Blue Water Bridge).  Use I-94 to I-69 and then across the thumb of Michigan to the border.  That way you avoid the traffic and trouble of the Detroit/Windsor metro area and that crossing.

Hell, you could come this far (it’s about half way for you on this trip) on the way to the event and crash at my place.  That way you have just a five hour trip on Friday.

Just don’t tell the Canadians (or the US goons for that matter) that you stayed with me. :wink:

You from Port Huron?

• Close enough that it is practically the same thing.

• '12

I hope I can get away with using american money interchangeably with Canadian money.  If not, credit cards should work.

I would exchange money at the bank.  Often you lose 5-15% on currency exchanges at a store or hotel and credit cards ding you on currency exchanges too.

• @Craig:

I will be getting a passport here eventually since there is a wedding that I will be going to in the TO area this summer.  That will take care the vast majority of my border issues.

LoL, feels like stranger danger!

• Can it be any worse than having Gargantua, Axisplaya, Myself spending the night at Grasshopper’s, not to mention some of his regulars

• Sponsor

@suprise:

Can it be any worse than having Gargantua, Axisplaya, Myself spending the night at Grasshopper’s, not to mention some of his regulars

Quite or you’ll sleep on the floor this year.

• @suprise:

Can it be any worse than having Gargantua, Axisplaya, Myself spending the night at Grasshopper’s, not to mention some of his regulars

This does not make me feel better.

• Well, a lady from an east side suburb just chopped up her son and brought the body parts out to my area for disposal.  So we have that going for us. :-o

If you need a character reference as it pertains to my viability as a stopping point, just talk to Jeremy or Greg Smorey of Origins and Gen Con Indy GMing fame.  I do believe you have been to GCI to play A&A.

Then again, maybe you shouldn’t talk to them. :lol:

• My only concerns now are timing and time investment.  This is roughly 2-3 weeks after gencon and will be during my fall semester.  I could end up spending 5 days on this trip, arguably too much for when this event will occur.  I hope that next year will be in the summer, before gencon.

• Sponsor

@ghr2:

My only concerns now are timing and time investment. This is roughly 2-3 weeks after gencon and will be during my fall semester. I could end up spending 5 days on this trip, arguably too much for when this event will occur. I hope that next year will be in the summer, before gencon.

I think the target demographic for this event was based on Ontario students and their families. It would be great to get as many American gamers from the axisandallies.org site, but to be honest… the chances of it getting moved to the summer in order to accommodate GenCon goers might be a stretch. for the same reason you have stated, the student body of the local Universities and colleges represent a large portion of the overall attendance, and the chance of losing those students and their families due to summer vacations (like GenCon) would be to big a risk.

• Early October would be a good spacing from the summer events.  Or mid May.

Remember that the US summer A&A group does Origins (mid June) and Gen Con Indy (mid August) with a smaller part of that hitting Smorey’s Spring Gathering (mid to late April).

I wouldn’t expect you to go with a mid-July time frame but that might be nice.  I still like the October slot the best since it balances out the schedule as it stands with the Spring Gathering, Origins, and then GCI.

• There are several reasons we had settled on September (and based on the poll posted earlier, of the 8 that voted, 6 chose September);

• School is back in (or going back) and people are looking for one last thing to do before the drudgery

• The local College and University are just moving in and havn’t got down to the hard (lol) work yet.

• All the biggest Cons happen in the summer (August mostly it seems), so we wanted to avoid conflicting with them

• All the people who go away in the summer … our main guests are relatively local

• We needed to settle on a single time of year (we’ve done March, April, September) so people know when it is going to be!

There was more, but that’s, in a nutshell, why it’s September.  I could see pushing to the first week of October but certainly no later and definitely not in the Summer.  Going back to the spring would be too close to the previous one to plan and prepare unless we skipped a year.

• Sponsor

Two in one year just to get into an April groove for the long run? sounds interesting :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m