Axis&Allies waterloo 1815

• Sponsor

I told Red Harvest and everyone else that it was a mistake to take away the privilege of deleting your own thread. This is the 4th such thread that creators have wanted to delete for good reason and couldn’t, therefore, it will linger here forever instead of allowing members to clean up their own garbage.

• Customizer

Mmmm yup +1 YG.

• Customizer

In addition has anyone even seen Mr. Harvest? Nope. A relatively new member who caused a big stink because he didn’t get roses and candy for his every genius quip and quibble stated on the forum. I also notice his cadre of supporters are relatively silent or absent with little exception.

My personal and probably well accepted opinion is that the option should be restored. Polite and liberal agreement to disagree would have easily solved this. I would offer more opinion via PM as a public posting may be considered rude, unfair, or insulting to Red Harvest’s biggest lobbyists for the change. I however agree 100% with Young Grasshopper’s assessment that this was a policy more suited to “cleaning up your own mess” rather than the deletion of some magnum opus that was sorely lost to history.

I humbly submit that the option to original authors to delete topics be restored.

Thank You.

• I agree.

• Sponsor

Hear, Hear!

• Customizer

Au Contraire, Blackadder!

Let the foolish mistakes of our youth haunt us forever.

• Not while I have my breath, you won’t!

• @Flashman:

Au Contraire, Blackadder!
    Let the foolish mistakes of our youth haunt us forever.

I’m not familiar with that reference, but here’s a quote along similar lines from a poster I once saw, which depicted someone who had climbed to the top of a mountain to consult a white-bearded sage who lived there – presumably to ask him for the wisdom of the ages.  The sage makes the following pronouncement to him: “Remember, my son, that the future is determined by the past – so be very careful about what you do in the past.”

• Sponsor

“Once we get out of the 80s, the 90s are gonna make the 60s look like the 50s”

Dennis Hopper.

• Customizer

Well I hope my reputation on this site is good and maybe my word might mean something. I don’t say this to rabble rouse or cause controversy. I would like to see the topic delete option restored to original posters, or at least allowed to members who have been around long enough to show responsibility and discretion in using it.

I don’t think I’m alone this. I feel like we’ve had a few less experienced posters and some others “just passing by” lobby for a major change that they have little experience in or have “no skin in the game” when it comes to the game or the site/community.

I maintained as well as others that, while some topic input may have been lost, the change that has been made has been more negative than the loss of a few posts that were essentially was a disagreement blown out of proportion.

• Sponsor

@toblerone77:

Well I hope my reputation on this site is good and maybe my word might mean something. I don’t say this to rabble rouse or cause controversy. I would like to see the topic delete option restored to original posters, or at least allowed to members who have been around long enough to show responsibility and discretion in using it.

I don’t think I’m alone this. I feel like we’ve had a few less experienced posters and some others “just passing by” lobby for a major change that they have little experience in or have “no skin in the game” when it comes to the game or the site/community.

I maintained as well as others that, while some topic input may have been lost, the change that has been made has been more negative than the loss of a few posts that were essentially was a disagreement blown out of proportion.

100% agree, I would like to hear from imperious leader on this matter.

• We can’t just allow people to destroy entire threads. It goes against everything we do here which is to promote conversation, not give the OP the power to just kill perhaps even 100+ posts that might be in a thread. If the OP wants to edit his own posts fine, but he should have no power to censure all the other posts from other people. Of course, if we are talking about a troll or somebody making insults and violating rules- the Moderator can move an entire thread out. This thread belongs in Varients BTW. not “Article Submission”

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

We can’t just allow people to destroy entire threads. It goes against everything we do here which is to promote conversation, not give the OP the power to just kill perhaps even 100+ posts that might be in a thread. If the OP wants to edit his own posts fine, but he should have no power to censure all the other posts from other people. Of course, if we are talking about a troll or somebody making insults and violating rules- the Moderator can move an entire thread out. This thread belongs in Varients BTW. not “Article Submission”

I understand your point, but if the moderators don’t care about this thread twisting in the wind, and the OP can’t delete it… why can’t we use this otherwise useless and space consuming thread for just about any discussion? It’s already become an ugly wart on an ugly witch, and I don’t see it getting removed.

• Because if a future potential person looking for a AA variant for Napoleonic Waterloo is not going to find this thread here, rather he will think for at least .5 seconds and consider such information would much more likely found in variants. If i was looking for house rules, i wont be looking in Articles right?

Not having the OP able to delete this thread and my constant reminder of how inappropriate it is to have this thread here can only produce more favorable results for others posting these threads as they will read and think for about .5 seconds before making these threads.

• Customizer

The OP accidentally posted this here. We all know this. The reason for the option to delete threads being removed is not so simple IMO. I think we lose more than we gain for a multitude of reasons. Trying to police courtesy I suppose could be a noble effort, but this particular action doesn’t seem to have done it.

If it were mine as well as other forum member’s decision, I believe this would be repealed. I have my own private take on why this happened, and why the members who lobbied so strongly for this did so. I believe that reasoning had very little to do with preserving any intellectual freedom or discourse, and more to do with settling scores. I don’t think this action has produced the intended results and has actually enforced some negative actions on the part of those who lobbied so heavily for the deletion option to be removed.

I defer to Djensen and the moderators on this matter, and try to follow the written and un-written rules of the forum. However should the option ever come into discussion, or a reconsideration to restore the option of allowing a thread author to delete a thread, I give my support in restoring the option.

• Thats why in these cases the Moderator can simply move this to where it belongs. I have no idea why that hasn’t been done already. The solution is NOT to allow the OP to just delete a thread which contains others people’s posts.

• Sponsor

@Imperious:

Thats why in these cases the Moderator can simply move this to where it belongs. I have no idea why that hasn’t been done already. The solution is NOT to allow the OP to just delete a thread which contains others people’s posts.

Your right! the solution is to reinstate you as a moderator, so that you can clean up this forum for us.

• Naw.

• Customizer

If you were still a moderator IL I would gladly show why this rule was a result of a “pissing match” and why you probably received one, or more likely several, PMs asking to intervene.

I’m not in total disagreement with what your saying either, I’m simply saying that the results are less than good for the site or community. One issue that still remains has not abated in the slightest and has in fact gotten worse. I don’t even want to mention it because I don’t want to incur a post limit ruling on the site as a remedy for this either. However I state and will continue to state that this measure had almost nothing to do with preserving posts, but more likely a move of revenge over ONE thread and a handful of newer, un-experienced, members whom were angry that they were insulted over their rebuttals being erased in their opposition to the OP of one thread.

I’m seriously not trying to create problems or scandals. I’m just trying to point out that this solution is not solving the supposed issue that it was supposed to. I would Gladly talk to Mr. Jensen via PM over the details of this issue. I wish I would have spoken to him earlier when this all happened. I honestly didn’t believe a major change to site would be made over a single thread.

• We are only discussion solutions. There is no problem.

I’m only saying that only moderators should be asked to move threads and if an argument occurs or flame war, they move the entire thread to moderation. Allowing any poster the power to whisk away countless posts from other contributors in a decent thread does not help this site. Contrary, it goes against what the site is about.

Nobody except Moderators should have the power to make these changes. I seriously doubt most people want it any different.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m