• You are a billionaire and a person of importance (your brother) is imprisoned in the Soviet Union, in the Ural city of Perm. You desire freedom for your brother and decide to hire a special force leader to free him. Which of the listed special force leaders would you hire for the job? The man you hire will build his own action team. No more than fifteen person team can be used, because of the risk of international concerns.

The year is 1944. Germany’s war with Russia lasted 4 months with a German victory. The new borders between Germany and the Soviet Union is the Dnieper River. England is now at peace with Germany.

Japan was defeated in early 44.

• The most obvious pick would be Skorzeny, since the mission you describe sounds similar to the operation in which Skorzeny rescued Mussolini from the mountaintop chalet (as I recall) where he was being held prisoner and spirited him away to Berlin.  Skorzeny also masterminded the infiltration of the American lines by English-speaking German soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge, so he clearly had a flair for operations that would fit nicely into an Alistair MacLean WWII thriller.  But I don’t know if he could speak Russian, which would be an important requirement for this job.

• By the way, I’m puzzled about your inclusion of Audie Murphy in your list of WWII special force leaders.  Murphy had a distinguished combat record for which he earned a ton of medals (including the MoH), but he wasn’t part of any kind of special forces unit; as far as I know, he served in a conventional US Army infantry division.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

SKORZENY!!!

Good ol Scar-face was considered the most dangerous man in Germany!

• Otto of course, best known for his reputation. I would also hope that he would invite some of the “Sonderverband Brandenburg” into this rescue mission.

Being a billionare you said I would have good conections to Guderian ,Student and Udet for Equipment and Supplies.
    I think my “brother” will be soon in my Villa in Bavaria again and we could all (Otto Skorzeny included) talk about the how everything went and what of an adventure it was to rescue my “brother”.

Otto Skorzeny hands down!

• @CWO:

By the way, I’m puzzled about your inclusion of Audie Murphy in your list of WWII special force leaders.  Murphy had a distinguished combat record for which he earned a ton of medals (including the MoH), but he wasn’t part of any kind of special forces unit; as far as I know, he served in a conventional US Army infantry division.

I’m from Texas. He is a legend here. Had to place him in the mix.  :-)

• @ABWorsham:

I’m from Texas. He is a legend here. Had to place him in the mix.Â

Ah.  Okay, fair enough.  Last year I picked up a copy of the DVD “To Hell and Back”, in which he plays himself.  I wasn’t impressed by the production values (it was clearly a low-budget affair), but the story of the man himself was impressive.

I can’t recall the context, but didn’t Robert E. Lee once say “Texans always move me”?

• Lt. Aldo Rain, aka Aldo the Appache.

• @CWO:

@ABWorsham:

I’m from Texas. He is a legend here. Had to place him in the mix.�

Ah.  Okay, fair enough.  Last year I picked up a copy of the DVD “To Hell and Back”, in which he plays himself.  I wasn’t impressed by the production values (it was clearly a low-budget affair), but the story of the man himself was impressive.

I can’t recall the context, but didn’t Robert E. Lee once say “Texans always move me”?

Morning Marc. Lee said: Texans always move them!
    He said it on the 6th May at the Battle of the Wilderness when Longstreet’s small Corps arrived as reinforcements to his battered two other Corps. (They did move the Union force to his front, as it happens.)
    Traditionally this fabulous 4 Regiment Brigade, ably led by the Kentucky born Ex Cavalry commander John Bell Hood could rout the enemy, causing them to “move”.
    The first time was at Eltham Landing in the Spring of 62. The most famous was at Gaines Mill, June 62.

• @wittmann:

Morning Marc. Lee said: Texans always move them!
    He said it on the 6th May at the Battle of the Wilderness when Longstreet’s small Corps arrived as reinforcements to his battered two other Corps. (They did move the Union force to his front, as it happens.)
    Traditionally this fabulous 4 Regiment Brigade, ably led by the Kentucky born Ex Cavalry commander John Bell Hood could rout the enemy, causing them to “move”.
    The first time was at Eltham Landing in the Spring of 62. The most famous was at Gaines Mill, June 62.

Thanks for the information.  The way I’d (mis)heard the quote suggested that Lee was saying that he was personally moved (on an emotional level), so it’s good to know that he was in fact praising the Texans for a different reason.

• Hill’s Corps was in rout and Ewell barely holding when Longstreet turned up with his nine small Brigades(they had played a big part in the Chickamauga victory, then been bloodily repulsed at Knoxville). He was so moved that he spurred his horse forward, planning to “go in” with the freshly arrived infantry. He had to be restrained by a giant of a Texas Sergeant. Thankfully.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Based on his track record, Skorzeny would be the man, so I voted for him. But he was quite tall and had a big scar on his face, which could be an obstacle in a covert operation. And national pride would actually lead me to propose Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema, the original “Soldier of Orange”. But he was more a spy and a pilot, not so much a commander of special forces.

• I’m going to go with a guy not on the list, Col. Aaron Bank. This type of mission sounds right up his alley…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m