What round 1 battle do you dread most?

• '17

Personally, I dread SZ106 as Germany.

If Germany fails there, it significantly reduces the threat of Sea Lion and allows the UK to mobilize in Africa safely.

• I use 2 subs normaly win it

• For me I dread when do I decide to open with Japan. There’s to many options and I like to wait for the allies to make a mistake and Capitlize off it. Some times round 2 most fifteen round 3 it all boils down to whom I’m playing and there level if experiance. And positioning

• The battle for Moscow for me.

When Germany has 50 Tanks, 50 mech, 50 Art. Vs Russia’s 200 Infantry.

• @rjpeters70:

Jesus, I don’t get the stacks with over 90 units in them.  Who has time to build all that?  Just bum rush and be in Moscow by G5.  No way Russia has the time to build all that infantry in Moscow by G5.

Sorry, i was just over-exaggerating.

But it is kinda how it goes.

• I always dread the round 1 attack on Yunnan with Japan. I’ve gotten screwed by terrible dice in that battle before and it can be a big setback if that happens.

Other than that, I always really nervous in any large fleet battle in the Pacific. There’s just so much at stake.

And I completely agree with wheatbeer in dreading the SZ106 attack as Germany. Yeah, 2 subs SHOULD win most of the time. It’s those other times…
    I always roll this battle first with Germany, as a kind of omen for how the dice will behave for me in the game.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Yugoslavia.

Sometimes it feels like you always fail there, and the allies snipe you for 3 or 4 guys.

• @Gargantua:

Yugoslavia.

Sometimes it feels like you always fail there, and the allies snipe you for 3 or 4 guys.

Oooh. Mind elaborating?

• Hmmmm, difficult…

Would have to choose between Paris, SZ106 & 110 (never know if that loony will scramble in a normally game-loosing battle for the UK but then dices fall terrible) & 111 playing as Germany, Taranto as the UK (and Italy & Germany if we scramble) and last but not least, Yunnan with the Japanese.

I think I dread SZ110 and Taranto equally!
    All should be an expected win for the attacker with really low chances for the defender but the dice can loose the game for you right there if playing against a scramble-gambler.

• SZ 106 with Two Subs is my biggest, followed by S France with one Tk and 2 Mech. I know I might lose the 3IPCs to the Frog ships, but I do not want them having 3 movement, if I cannot attack them with Italy. I also prefer Germany to control the territory, not Italy.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

The one that gives me the most nightmares is the Paris AA gun.

• Customizer

The worst for me is all the attacks on the Royal Navy as Germany. I usually go after SZ 91 with 2 subs, SZ 109 with 2 subs, SZ 111 with 1 sub 1 BB 1 Ftr 1 Tac and 1 Bomber, then SZ 110 with 2 Ftr 2 Tac and 1 Bomber. I am committing the bulk of my Luftwaffe and if Britain scrambles and/or I get bad dice, I could end up losing a lot of planes. That can really set a bad tone for the rest of the game.
    If I had to pick one single battle though, it would be France. It seems like I have so many things to hit and I get worried that I am not sending enough against the Frenchies there. I have had games where I actually lost the battle and other games where I win with 1 tank left. Neither outcome is appealing to me.

• Sponsor

During my J1 attack, there’s lots to be nervous about… here’s a list from the worst possible beats to the not so bad ones.

1. The Philippines assault has the odds for Japan, but you could get diced and thrown back into the sea.

2. Two bombers and a cruiser on the British battleship could turn ugly

3. One destroyer on the ANZAC transport and destroyer is a coin toss

• We have all seen some pretty horrible dice in round 1 battles,

Germany:

1. Paris, because you need a good portion of your ground units to survive (have seen the Germans lose it too)
    2. SZ 110 if UK scrambles (could suck for either side)

Russia:
    Don’t really have a turn 1 to dread unless the Germans do a G1 attack and you lose too many units up front. Of course if you stack Amur, then you might dread the Japs turn 1 LOL

Japan:
    Yunnan sucks if the dice abandon you. Even if you get it but lost to much, the Chinese will retake it, and it is a set-back.

UK:

1. Taranto, you can lose a lot if they scramble (risk to both sides), or if they don’t to counter attack (but you still do it lol)
    2. If you scramble sz 110 could be bad

Italy:
    Taranto, if they do it, it really hurts, but the axis counter attack(s) can be devastating (to both sides).

• '13

I actually think the scariest is China trying to take back Yunnan.
    You always want to play it as light as possible because no Inf to spare. But if you don’t get the NO at least once, Japan can destroy China almost without investment.

• @knp7765:

The worst for me is all the attacks on the Royal Navy as Germany. I usually go after SZ 91 with 2 subs, SZ 109 with 2 subs, SZ 111 with 1 sub 1 BB 1 Ftr 1 Tac and 1 Bomber, then SZ 110 with 2 Ftr 2 Tac and 1 Bomber. I am committing the bulk of my Luftwaffe and if Britain scrambles and/or I get bad dice, I could end up losing a lot of planes. That can really set a bad tone for the rest of the game.
    If I had to pick one single battle though, it would be France. It seems like I have so many things to hit and I get worried that I am not sending enough against the Frenchies there. I have had games where I actually lost the battle and other games where I win with 1 tank left. Neither outcome is appealing to me.

Your 110 is soo light, UK would be foolish not to scramble.

@WILD:

We have all seen some pretty horrible dice in round 1 battles,

Germany:

1. Paris, because you need a good portion of your ground units to survive (have seen the Germans lose it too)
    2. SZ 110 if UK scrambles (could suck for either side)

Russia:
    Don’t really have a turn 1 to dread unless the Germans do a G1 attack and you lose too many units up front. Of course if you stack Amur, then you might dread the Japs turn 1 LOL

Japan:
    Yunnan sucks if the dice abandon you. Even if you get it but lost to much, the Chinese will retake it, and it is a set-back.

UK:

1. Taranto, you can lose a lot if they scramble (risk to both sides), or if they don’t to counter attack (but you still do it lol)
    2. If you scramble sz 110 could be bad

Italy:
    Taranto, if they do it, it really hurts, but the axis counter attack(s) can be devastating (to both sides).

Ditto to all of this.

• Customizer

@ghr2:

@knp7765:

Well, it’s not easy to guess if the UK will scramble or not. Sometimes if I think they will scramble, I send 3 fighter, 3 tacs and 1 bomber. If I don’t think they will scramble, I take a chance and send 2 fighter, 2 tacs and 1 bomber to SZ 110 and send a fighter and tac to SZ 93 to kill the French ships there.
    We usually rotate countries so when I get Germany, I’m not always against the same player as Britain. Some will scramble all their fighters trying to protect as much Royal Navy as possible. Others will save their fighters for defending London or attacking the German Navy or even going to the Med. Of course, certain people can also change their mind and decide to play differently than normal.
    It’s just that if I think UK won’t scramble, I hate sending 7 of my planes against 1 BB and 2 CA because it is way overkill and those planes could be better used elsewhere. It just seems like such a waste of valuable resources.
    Then again, you are right. If I go light and UK does scramble, then I’m screwed.

• @knp7765:

@ghr2:

@knp7765:

Well, it’s not easy to guess if the UK will scramble or not. Sometimes if I think they will scramble, I send 3 fighter, 3 tacs and 1 bomber. If I don’t think they will scramble, I take a chance and send 2 fighter, 2 tacs and 1 bomber to SZ 110 and send a fighter and tac to SZ 93 to kill the French ships there.
    We usually rotate countries so when I get Germany, I’m not always against the same player as Britain. Some will scramble all their fighters trying to protect as much Royal Navy as possible. Others will save their fighters for defending London or attacking the German Navy or even going to the Med. Of course, certain people can also change their mind and decide to play differently than normal.
    It’s just that if I think UK won’t scramble, I hate sending 7 of my planes against 1 BB and 2 CA because it is way overkill and those planes could be better used elsewhere. It just seems like such a waste of valuable resources.
    Then again, you are right. If I go light and UK does scramble, then I’m screwed.

What would make you think that they wont scramble?  Usually, the UK player judges, based on your CM move and your buy, on how scramble.  His/her scramble depends on your play, it really should not be the other way around.  The whole point of sending 7 planes or so to 110 is to scare the UK into not scrambling.

• @ghr2:

(…)The whole point of sending 7 planes or so to 110 is to scare the UK into not scrambling.

I am with Ghr on this one. UK should have no preconceived plans to scramble (or not) no matter what Germany does. Usually I scramble if I am ‘certain’ about taking down at least as much Luftwaffe as I loose scramblers, with a very good shot at inflicting more air-losses than the RAF will loose.

• I would only scramble if I thought I could win the battle, without losing the Battleship.
    I think the Med is the key and I want to build that IC in Egypt and do Taranto, so I have the initiative and not Italy. As UK my sole aim, after keeping Sealion away, is neutering Italy. The rest should fall into place.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m