• So here’s my idea just a simple thought but, What if Germany simply weakens France to allow Italy to take it. So understandably now Germany is left with a bit less cash, here’s my thoughts Germany dose a G3 to Russia and builds up a bit more it dosnt loose half as much as it would by fully committing to France. Also now with this massive influx to Italy it truly helps put them on level with England to push then out of Africa fast and build up a decent navy and push into Middle East. Not only that but depending on o
    How it works out it cripples any allies in Africa and opens a front threw Africa cause once England is knocked out there I typically use them to defend Germany’s backside and keep building it’s navy now it won’t knock out America say round 5 but round 4 it can defently cripple or atlest keep them on guard. What’s your thoughts?

• Sponsor

It doesn’t matter who takes France as long as Germany sends most of their air force to Africa until a time in which Italy can sustain itself.

• No I don’t agree with sending my Airforce to Africe it puts your planes out of position for when you push into Russia. Italy dosnt have a lot to worry about in Africa and the Mediterranean only cause if they take the income from France they can built a bigger navy and put more boots on the ground in Africa faster making it very hard for te Allies to get there and bounce back. America won’t see Africa until turn 4 and England is in no position to truly help case G1 decamates there Navy. By the time it’s Round 4 Germany is pushing into Russia and Italy has a head start on holdin the shores and Pushing into Africa/Middle East also putting Preasuer possibly on Calcuta or the Caucasus

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

The trouble with just strafing France is that UK can send a bunch of planes there to prevent Italy taking it, and then france gets to build a bunch of infantry.

• Sponsor

Germany has plenty of time to clear the Med and get to Russia for G5, because they have more than enough land units for the first initial push into Russia on G3.

• I don’t see it Englad has 1 plane in Scotland and 2 fighters in Londan 1 in Gabrilter and 1 in Malta and 1 bomber in Londan so that’s 1 bomber and 5 fighters Possably defending on a open France were Italy will be attacking with 2 infantry 2 artlity 1 tank 2 fighters and 1 bomber …. If Endland was that dumb to place all it’s fighters there I’d welcome to not only destroying it’s entry navy by Germany but then also the Airforce by Italy. Also England can’t then scramble to intercept the navel attacks so that wouldn’t be in England’s favor to place all it’s air in France. And no by G5 I’m fully commited to Russia and pushin to Moscow to really have the Resources to pull away and support something else unless it’s truly something obvious and capitalize or push in a different direction. Again I don’t really see how Italy taken France is a bad thing unless someone shows me otherwise.

• Sponsor

@Whitshadw:

Again I don’t really see how Italy taken France is a bad thing unless someone shows me otherwise.

Everyone here has different opinions… it’s cool.

• Opinions aside, lets look at this.
    Low Luck dice.
    Germany takes Normandy, South France, Yugoslavia and strafes France. (Leaving 1 French tank and 1 French fighter, retreating to W Germany)
    UK does not scramble any fighters to defend Royal Navy.
    UK lands 5 fighters, 1 tactical bomber and one bomber on France.

Leaving the following battle:
    Italy attacks with: 2 inf, 2 art, 1 arm, 2 fig and 1 bomb
    French/UK defends with: 1 arm, 6 fig, 1 tac and 1 bomb

This is a 100% battle in favor of the French.
    Italy attacks, French win with 3 British fighters remaining

Even if you get lucky and only leave the French fighter on G1, its still 95% in favor of the French when Italy attacks.

Unless i’m really missing something this move would almost always be a total disaster for the axis.

• Oh I agree with you… We have a group of 10 people who rotate some can make it as others cant so we normaly have soild 5 people play all experianced with countless games user our belts were 30+ … To you all an idea of age and experience

We don’t play low luck really just count up cost vs cost and see if it’s worth the attack 9/10 times planes do get scrambled or England is put in a position to atlest use there planes to attack some where also. I just see it highly unlikely that they would sacrifice all active planes in France the entire fbit of England would be lost in aircraft and to make matters worse they couldn’t attack the Italin Navy cause the counter would crush them.

I suppose it’s a huge risk vs reward or something that Italins can Capitlize on a weaker Britsh player but if suppose the idea seems sound on why to do it

also what tactical bomber? From where I only count 5 British fighters and 1 strategic bomber

• Hit or miss.  If you plan for it in the overall, it can help out with an Italian push through Russia or into England/Africa.  England has to give up a ton of planes to protect it, and you could always take it over I2.  I’ve tried it, and while I liked the extra cash for Italy, I’d rather give it to Germany in the long run.

also what tactical bomber?

The tac on the carrier.

• Sponsor

@Uncrustable:

Opinions aside, lets look at this.
    Low Luck dice.
    Germany takes Normandy, South France, Yugoslavia and strafes France. (Leaving 1 French tank and 1 French fighter, retreating to W Germany)

Even if you get lucky and only leave the French fighter on G1, its still 95% in favor of the French when Italy attacks.

Unless i’m really missing something this move would almost always be a total disaster for the axis.

Thanks… I didn’t have the time or energy to explain it in detail the way you did, so I copped out and blamed it on different opinions.

• Your right I counted it.

Truthfuly if England supported it to that length you bought France 1 round and canalized any offense that it had to give France 1 round and place what 5
    Men? At that point Germany would probably take it and in 2 rounds England has lost all of its
    navy and has absolutly no Airforce other way it’s a win / win for the axis

While your right with Germany having extra income for sure for the push and built up. I was thinking if Italy had that extra cash no English Airforce
    Or navy Egypt would fall by round 2 and the Domino would insue

I dunno  just thinking outside the box and allways love to leave people guessing

• @Young:

@Uncrustable:

Opinions aside, lets look at this.
    Low Luck dice.

Thanks… I didn’t have the time or energy to explain it in detail the way you did, so I copped out and blamed it on different opinions.

Lol you didn’t need to spell anything out it’s on the board clear as day my question was essentially what’s the Pros vs Cons on doing such a move sure it helps the allies for one turn but them screwed them for 3 turns

• Sponsor

No problem… another interesting question is, what would France do with the $19 if they had a chance to spend it?

Knowing that France would surly fall in the next round no matter how many infantry I buy, I would probably use one of the minors to drop 3 French subs.

• And which
    Minor would you take if Germany has Normandy and Southern France?
    With England sacrafcing all
    It’s air power for Paris leaves there navy weak and Frances navy is a push over even with 2 transports left ( counting the one off Malta dies with its destroyer) you can shift over 1 tank and 3 men with 2 transports to southern France. Again I don’t see how in the Lon run it would fail the axis? And more so screw the allies if they bate them selfs to send all there Air Force to a dieing cause?

• Sponsor

@Whitshadw:

And which
    Minor would you take if Germany has Normandy and Southern France?
    With England sacrafcing all
    It’s air power for Paris leaves there navy weak and Frances navy is a push over even with 2 transports left ( counting the one off Malta dies with its destroyer) you can shift over 1 tank and 3 men with 2 transports to southern France. Again I don’t see how in the Lon run it would fail the axis? And more so screw the allies if they bate them selfs to send all there Air Force to a dieing cause?

Personally I wouldn’t stack France to save it. I don’t really care who takes France because if I’m the allies, I already enter the game expecting it to be toast. If Italy has the $19 instead of Germany… so be it.

On the other sign of the coin, there are many other territories Germany could leave for Italy to boost their income, which doesn’t necessarily mean that I disagree with your idea of Italy taking France.

• UK doesnt scramble in 90% of the games more than 1 fighter (scottland)
    Why? Sealion threat
    UK loses its fleet in the Atlantic in almost every game anyhow
    Why? because Germany would be foolish not to sink it round 1

The Allies dominate in economy and number of units, for the Axis it is a race against time.
    This is why J1 DOW is often a good strategy.
    Usually it is not a good idea to not DOW early for the axis, unless they are using a neutral crush strategy.

That being said…
    The Axis are basically stalling themelves for an entire turn, just to kill 6-7 British planes. Doesn’t seem logical to me…

It may be some wonder strategy, who knows. Try it out on tripleA sometime vs a decent player and see how it goes.

• @Young:

Personally I wouldn’t stack France to save it. I don’t really care who takes France because if I’m the allies, I already enter the game expecting it to be toast. If Italy has the $19 instead of Germany… so be it.

On the other sign of the coin, there are many other territories Germany could leave for Italy to boost their income, which doesn’t necessarily mean that I disagree with your idea of Italy taking France.

S France, Yugo, Bulgaria, Greece…8 IPCs per turn

Germany threatening sealion is the best way to help Italy, as it forces UK to defend round 1.
    Germany can then use its round 1 build (carrier 2 transports) + its huge number of aircraft to take Gibraltar and secure the med on round 2.
    Thats 10 IPCs just in bonuses for Italy per turn

Combined with the above territories that is a income boost of 18 IPCs per turn for Italy.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

If you roll your France battle first and do your retreat before you do the sea battles, UK will know there is no sealion threat and they should scramble, especially if you bought all ground units.  If they don’t scramble and opt to stack france instead, you’ll kill them G2 along with the French.  This costs you time against Russia but if for some reason you really really want UK to have no planes this could be a way to ensure it.  I don’t think you’d fare very well on the Eastern front from that point on though.

• @variance:

If you roll your France battle first and do your retreat before you do the sea battles, UK will know there is no sealion threat and they should scramble, especially if you bought all ground units.  If they don’t scramble and opt to stack france instead, you’ll kill them G2 along with the French.  This costs you time against Russia but if for some reason you really really want UK to have no planes this could be a way to ensure it.  I don’t think you’d fare very well on the Eastern front from that point on though.

I’m fairly sure all scrambles are declared before any combat is rolled, but I could be wrong.
    That said, I agree with Uncrustable; Germany can help Italy get on its legs in other ways while buffing itself up too.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m