• Sponsor

No bid required… Russia begins the game with 9 Infantry units to be placed one per any Soviet controlled territory that is empty.

• I think it would be cool if some kind of system were in place to increase Russia’s income over the course of the game - where they start out with little but their production increases over time, within the same territories.

Historically, Russia was sucking wind at the start, but near war’s end they were cranking out 2,500 tanks a month to Germany’s 350.

• Customizer

Russia always seem to be just biding it’s time until destruction. France is the only country that’s worse that’s probably why they have they have the same unit sculpts.

• Sponsor

@Der:

I think it would be cool if some kind of system were in place to increase Russia’s income over the course of the game - where they start out with little but their production increases over time, within the same territories.

Historically, Russia was sucking wind at the start, but near war’s end they were cranking out 2,500 tanks a month to Germany’s 350.� �

How about… Russia produces 1 free tank during the place new units phase, for each round in which they are at war with Germany?

• Why don’t we just simplify this and give them some more national advantages.

5 IPCs for control of at least one of the following while the United States is at war with Germany: Amur, Siberia, Soviet Far East.
    Theme: Shipment of lend lease material across the Bering Strait.

5 IPCs for Allied control of either Persia or Eastern Persia while the Soviet Union controls an adjacent territory.
    Theme: Shipment of lend lease material via the Persian Gulf.

• Customizer

oztea, you have some good ideas.

• Sponsor

@oztea:

Why don’t we just simplify this and give them some more national advantages.

5 IPCs for control of at least one of the following while the United States is at war with Germany: Amur, Siberia, Soviet Far East.
    Theme: Shipment of lend lease material across the Bering Strait.

5 IPCs for Allied control of either Persia or Eastern Persia while the Soviet Union controls an adjacent territory.
    Theme: Shipment of lend lease material via the Persian Gulf.

I understand the need to use a game mechanic that already exist like national objectives. However, giving a free tank each round would rationalize your history statistics about Russian vs. German tank production…. and I fear that the Russian player would only use the extra N.O money to buy nothing but infantry to support a plan to turtle (a strategy that a few tanks would be good for as well).

• How about:

Every round Russia still holds its capitol:
    1 free tank every round after round three
    2 Free tanks every round after round six
    3 Free tanks every round after round nine
    4 Free tanks every round after round twelve
    etc. until Germany gets overwhelmed?

• '17 '16

@Der:

How about:

Every round Russia still holds its capitol:
    1 free tank every round after round three
    2 Free tanks every round after round six
    3 Free tanks every round after round nine, and after
    4 Free tanks every round after round twelve
    etc. until Germany gets overwhelmed?

It seems to me that an 18 IPCs bonus every turn is already a great  and sufficient gift.

Then, if you still loose Russia… maybe it is time to concede the victory to the Axis… :-D

• Customizer

The key is the concentration of Russian income in the western tts most likely to be captured by Germany.

So:

increase the overall Soviet income to something more like historical levels, but with the bulk of its industrial base (income) in the west (i.e. Ukraine, Belarus, Leningrad, Caucasus)

give the USSR a factory in the Urals, or allow them to transport one factory from the western tts during the game

This means that

Germany can still grab a big slice of Russian income with successful early attacks

Russia will still have a large area to draw income from even if the industrial west is lost

To balance, the number of tts in Russia might need to be increased, with tts roughly the same size as those in West/Central Europe. This gives Russia time to build up a large army, but not if it allows Germany to drive too far east.

This is of course also dependent on my own insistence upon:

1. No building units in captured factories

2. Unlimited (rail) non combat movement within controlled tts

3. Limited infantry placement in non factory tts

• Flash, I think we are trying to work within the boundaries of the board we have.
    So adding Russian territories is a little unworkable.

More IPCs via National Objectives, or a Mechanic that gives free units to the Soviets some how is what is needed (provided they meet the conditions) to give the USSR a fighting chance against Germany.

Also thanks Toblerone77

What the Soviets got from lend lease, in vast amounts was aircraft, and trucks.
    So if we want to give the Soviets lend lease material it shouldn’t be tanks. Which are aggressive units.

Where they get them is also important.
    Most trucks were brought over via the arctic route to archangel and Leningrad.
    Most planes were sent across the Bering Strait.
    And raw materials were sent to the Persian gulf

This was at the expense of the US and UK, so if we want to eliminate transports and really simplify this, we could do something like this and have it something like research.

Lend Lease optional rule
    During the US research and development phase the US may purchase lend lease tokens for 5 IPCs. (place Soviet control markers on Eastern United States)
    The United States may purchase one lend lease token for each of the following territories controlled by allied forces: Amur, Archangel, Persia.
    During the Soviet place units phase they may attempt to cash these in by rolling on the following chart:

1. Supplies destroyed by Axis forces (token is removed)
    2. Supplies delayed (token remains)
    3. Supplies delayed (token remains)
    4. Collect 5 IPCs if Persia is controlled by the Allies
    5. Place two mechanized infantry in Archangel
    6. Place a fighter in Amur

• Customizer

@oztea:

Flash, I think we are trying to work within the boundaries of the board we have.

More IPCs via National Objectives, or a Mechanic that gives free units to the Soviets some how is what is needed (provided they meet the conditions) to give the USSR a fighting chance against Germany.

Also thanks Toblerone77

So if we want to give the Soviets lend lease material it shouldn’t be tanks. Which are aggressive units.

This was at the expense of the US and UK, so if we want to eliminate transports and really simplify this, we could do something like this and have it something like research.

Lend Lease optional rule
    During the US research and development phase the US may purchase lend lease tokens for 5 IPCs. (place Soviet control markers on Eastern United States)
    The United States may purchase one lend lease token for each of the following territories controlled by allied forces: Amur, Archangel, Persia.
    During the Soviet place units phase they may attempt to cash these in by rolling on the following chart:

I like this idea quite a bit. Especially in the Research and Development phase. I liked the idea of trying to ship or fly a unit over too but I think your idea is less complicated.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@oztea:

Flash, I think we are trying to work within the boundaries of the board we have.

Also thanks Toblerone77

Lend Lease optional rule

VERY nice idea.  Could you make #6 a tactical bomber instead of a fighter?  That way its more of an offensive unit rather than a defensive one.  Tacs defend @3 and hit @4 when paired with a tank or fighter (ie motivation for  Russia to build tanks), and more importantly it cannot intercept SBR.  It should not be a strategic bomber because the range would get it to the front too fast.  These planes might find get diverted into China sometimes.

If Archangel/Amur/Persia is axis controlled and Russia rolls 4/5/6, would that become “supplies delayed”, or would the lose it?

• Yea, I guess it would be “supplies delayed” and at that point, the US can’t buy anymore tokens.

It would be fine if it was a tactical bomber instead. The soviets did get a lot of those from us.

• '17 '16

@oztea:

Yea, I guess it would be “supplies delayed” and at that point, the US can’t buy anymore tokens.

It would be fine if it was a tactical bomber instead. The soviets did get a lot of those from us.

Here is a different way of distribution with 2D6 rolls & add together:

2 to 4. Supplies destroyed by Axis forces (token is removed) (2/12 odds)
    5-6.    Supplies delayed (token remains)                             (3/12 odds)
    7.       Collect 5 IPCs if Persia is controlled by the Allies         (2/12 odds)
    8-9.    Place two mechanized infantry in Archangel               (3/12 odds)
    10.     Place a fighter in Amur                                            (1/12 odds)
    11-12.Place a tactical bomber in Amur                                (1/12 odds)

So 5/12 odds of a bad roll for Allies.
    5/12 odds to get units
    2/12 odds to get IPCs.
    You still have room left for some Artillery or AAA if you want.
    You can reduce the odds for TcB (ex.: “12” only) and increase it for Fg (ex.:“10-11”) if you wish.
    Or reverse the numbers: “10-11” gives a TcB and “12” gives a Fg, as you see fit history.

• Yea but that really ups the number of dice being rolled.

Because if its all just a 6 item chart, you can roll all the dice together and consult the chart.
    For a 2d6 system, you are rolling different sets, and comparing different numbers.

Though 2d6 offers more variation, 1d6 keeps it simple and smooth.
    If what the results are needs to be changed then so be it, but the number of rolls should be kept very low so this is a streamlined house rule.

• '17 '16

Maybe instead, it requires 3 charts according to the way lend-lease reach Russia:

4. Collect 4 IPCs if Persia is controlled by the Allies
    5. Collect 8 IPCs if Persia is controlled by the Allies
    6. Collect 12 IPCs if Persia is controlled by the Allies

4. Place 1 mechanized infantry in Archangel
    5. Place 2 mechanized infantry in Archangel
    6. Place 3 mechanized infantry in Archangel

2. Supplies destroyed by Axis forces (token is removed)
    4. Place a fighter in Amur
    5. Place a tactical bomber in Amur
    6. Place a strategical bomber in Amur

• With the 3 charts, do you then pick one of the 3 charts before you roll your dice then? What if you throw a 3 side die, number gives you your chart and then roll a 6 die. Just 1 extra throw anyway.

• '17 '16

@SS:

With the 3 charts, do you then pick one of the 3 charts before you roll your dice then? What if you throw a 3 side die, number gives you your chart and then roll a 6 die. Just 1 extra throw anyway.

Both can work.
    I haven’t think about it.

For each 5 IPCs token from USA, Russia roll 1D6 for as long as the territory is owned by him:
    1-2 chart of Persia,
    3-4 chart of Archangel,  or
    5-6 chart of Amur.

If any one is lost, then roll only 1D2 for the 2 last territories: 1-3/4-6

When there is only one territory owned, then pick the corresponding chart.

• Customizer

I keep a few different types of dice around for HR’s. You can get a D20 die for less than a dollar at a hobby shop. It’s perfect for home brew research tables.

I think for oztea’s purpose his D6 chart is pretty good. @Baron I think you’d really have some fun with RPG style dice. I myself have been looking into using some D12s for different stuff.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m