Ambilzi & Grasshopper's 1940 Global Map (Video Added)

• Sponsor

So I’m raising the money to get a second print done at a much more creditable print shop. I told them all my issues, and they seem professional and knowledgable enough to get the colours right. Stay tuned……

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Young:

So I’m raising the money to get a second print done at a much more creditable print shop. I told them all my issues, and they seem professional and knowledgable enough to get the colours right. Stay tuned……

Maybe you already said this but… what are you printing on? Game-board material or rigid paper?

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Maybe you already said this but… what are you printing on? Game-board material or rigid paper?

Vinal banner type poster… than laminated, and pasted on a wooden surface.

• Is there any possible chance of getting a .psd or something?  I want to move around some of the things placed on the board :)

• '14 '13

Damn, sorry to hear about the bad print job. That sucks to hear. I think that was partly why I was so hesitant to print a map for my table and just went with the OOB map. Hope things work out for you.

• Sponsor

@jluna1273:

Damn, sorry to hear about the bad print job. That sucks to hear. I think that was partly why I was so hesitant to print a map for my table and just went with the OOB map. Hope things work out for you.

Once I get it printed properly, I will create a you-tube video featuring all the elements of the table… that will make it worth all these headaches.

• Sponsor

I just want to announce that I got a new print done and it’s perfect. I have been working with a very creditable print shop and their professional expertise have helped me understand what happened with the first print. Basically by compressing the file from a different computer, the color profiles were reset to the settings of the computer which did the compressing. Needless to say… I’m gonna get my money back.

They also helped me compress the file properly… the result was a jpeg file about 113MB with 200 pixels/inch and set at baseline (standard). You can find this new file linked in the first post of this thread and it is the only file I feel comfortable sharing considering the headaches and loss of money from my own experience. I just want to thank Ambilzi once again for all his help and expertise, I will be posting a You-Tube video featuring my custom table soon.

• Hi there.  I was just curious if it is possible to print this map bigger to say a 8’x4’ map?
    There is not a whole lot of room for some territories on the 32"x70" map. Thanks

• Sponsor

@fateweaver:

Hi there.  I was just curious if it is possible to print this map bigger to say a 8’x4’ map?
    There is not a whole lot of room for some territories on the 32"x70" map. Thanks

I will ask the guys at my print shop Monday, and I will get back to you Monday night. In the meantime, have you considered using a third color of chip (blue) to represent 10 units?

• Ok thanks.

I guess an extra chip colour would help reduce clutter?

Basically unless you are careful the stack comes apart I find when moving them.

• Sponsor

@fateweaver:

Basically unless you are careful the stack comes apart I find when moving them.

Ya… the key word there is careful, from my experience its best to first take the unit off the top and palm it… then with your fingers on the same hand, pick up the whole stack by diging your finger nail under the bottom holding everything like a handful of pebbles. Restack the chips on the desired territory and place the unit that is buried in the palm of the same hand.

Don’t attempt to squeeze the stack from the side or pinch the stack from top to bottom, it may seem like you’re saving yourself time keeping the stack together while you move it… but in most cases, the force will catipult the disks everywhere demolishing the board and wasting presious game time.

Cheers.

• Sponsor

@fateweaver:

Hi there.  I was just curious if it is possible to print this map bigger to say a 8’x4’ map?

So I asked my print shop guy and he says that the file should be fine to make a 96"X57" print. However, he doesn’t recommend printing any larger than that or you will begin to see a loss of pixels per inch.

• Cool.  Thanks.  How much would it be in Canadian dollars?  Not to serious in doing something like this yet.  just want a ball park figure.  I am in Canada
    BTW, awesome job on the map

• Sponsor

@fateweaver:

Cool.  Thanks.  How much would it be in Canadian dollars?  Not to serious in doing something like this yet.  just want a ball park figure.  I am in Canada
    BTW, awesome job on the map

Depending on the print shop, a 72"X33 laminated print will run you anywhere between $120 and $140 Canadian. Anything below $110 is a great deal. If you go through with it, don’t go cheap and skip the lamination… it’s good protection and makes it easy to wipe down with a cloth. A bigger print will be more money, and if you wait to see my upcoming  video… I’ll tell you why 72"X33" is more than enough, and a great size for custom tables. Thanks for the compliment.

• Customizer

Guys,

––Excellent work going on here!
    ----I’m just marking this thread for future reference.

“Tall Paul”

• Sponsor

@Tall:

Guys,

––Excellent work going on here!
    ----I’m just marking this thread for future reference.

“Tall Paul”

Thanks Tall Paul… Cheers.

• Sponsor

So I glued my vinyl laminated map to my laminated tile ply wood sheet and I got lots of air pockets. Needless to say, I’m really really disapointed. Even though the board is playable, it’s far from perfect and I cant help but feel defeated.

I just talked with a buddy at my print shop and he was telling me about a plastic sheet that it can be printed on for about $200. I don’t want to go the route of glass top, so I will be considering this option which should get rid of the air pockets… just not sure why my first map reacted so well to the same method, but this one came out crap.

I will keep everyone informed of both my progress and my failures… it seems as though there are 2 steps backwards for every step forward. However, I won’t quit in my mission to complete the best table as long as I am moving forward. PS: Video tour of my game room has been post poned until I get the table right.

Cheers.

• Customizer

YG,

–– I just thought I’d throw out my limited experiences just to give you another possible option.
    My brother and I went to a professional sign company in Shreveport that can take digital pics and enlarge them up to billboard size.
    My brother chose to do his enlarged gameboard in Black & White and mount it himself. It has several small “wrinkles” all over it although it is usable and we play on it regularly.
    However, I’m “picky”, especially when I don’t want to experience regrets every time I play a game. My first enlarged gameboard was done in color and I had them professionally mount it on a material called “Gatorboard”. It was rather expensive but it’s professional quality is immediately evident. I planned on using this same procedure for an even larger second gameboard that includes enhanced “convoy” symbols and other improvements such as you are working on now.

I have always planned on custom-building a horizontal “picture frame” type of table that would not only hold this map,….but others underneath the top map, and be covered with a sheet of glass which is countersunk into the table. Although glass might be heavy, expensive, and have the potential of getting broken,…I believe that a sheet of Lucite or other types of transparent sheets would end up being badly scratched up. The “picture frame” gameboard would be also be capable of being mounted vertically on a wall or at an angle in a frame/carriage.
    Anyway, I guess my point is that if we in a small city of 200,000 like Shreveport have access to a professional sign shop,….I can only imagine what capabilities a larger city would have. The only factor to really consider is the expense of having it done by professionals. For me,….it was worth every penny I spent because I’M HAPPY! .  :-D
    –My experiences may or may not help you,…I just thought I’d throw them out there for you in case they might.

“Tall Paul”

• Sponsor

Hey Tall Paul,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with me… I went to my print shop and looked at a material that can only be described as sheet plastic (I will get the name of it later). Apparently the map file can be printed right on it and after inspecting the weight of the material, I know that I won’t have any problems mounting it to my table, and because it doesn’t need to be laminated with a matt film… the color may turn out brighter. The only problem is that it cost twice as much as a laminated poster and I’ve already bit it on the last one… so it looks like I won’t be perfecting my table until Christmas time. That’s where I’m at right now, I guess I feel better knowing that there is an alternative to glass, just cause I really don’t want that. It’s nice to know that there are people out there that share the same obsession with perfection, especially with my table because it’s the one thing I’m most proud of in my life.

Cheers.

• Sponsor

I Just gave my print shop the order to print the map file on a 72"X33" piece of styrene, I will be picking it up tuesday…. wish me luck

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m