• So I bought a new laptop today, long story short I turned it on…saw the desktop (if one could call it that) and immediately wanted to smash it with a hammer.

Now my sleep will be haunted by the very presence of that atrocity.
    I refuse to even turn the machine back on until I have installed windows 7 or even XP, heck I’d even take vista (blasphemy)

Just wanted to share my near death experience, and see what other people thought about the new windows 8 (apple rip off pOS)

Maybe I’m just getting old… :?

• What actually is wrong other than you just click the lower left hand corner to get to desktop?

I would call Apple products a pile of crap. Especially any desktop computers which have fallen behind standard PC.

• I even tried opening IE, after spending 10 minutes locating it, and it was no better.
    Couldn’t even find the button to exit it lol
    If there is a desktop button, I have no idea where it’s at.
    All I know is the screen is filled with literally hundreds of icons (“apps”) and nothing that has been standard on pc for decades is anywhere to be found, it’s an F’n nightmare

All I do know is PC is now trying to be more like apple, which is moronic. You don’t beat someone at their own game  :-P

• You can’t even right click anymore…nothing happens
    It is more Mac than PC

• Ok so done some research , windows is actually doing nearly twice as worse as vista did at this same point. That is truly laughable,
    Found a good article outlining just a few of the retardness of 8;

"I predicted that Windows 8 would be dead on arrival last year, but it’s flopping even more  than I thought it would be. So, why has Windows 8 been such a failure? Here’s my list:

1. Metro, aka Modern: An ugly, useless interface.
    I said it before, I’ll say it again: Metro, or whatever you want to call it, may make an OK tablet interface, but it’s ugly and useless on the desktop. It requires users to forget everything they ever learned about Windows and learn an entirely new way of doing things for no real reason. To quote a popularly held opinion, Metro is “awful.”

True, you can use a more traditional Windows interface, but you know what would have been a lot better? If Microsoft had just kept  the Windows 7 Aero interface for the desktop version of Windows 8 and give up this idea that the Metro touch-friendly interface is for every device.

2. Windows 8 brought nothing innovative to the desktop.
    Can you tell me one new thing that Windows 8 brought to the desktop that was truly innovative? Exciting? Engaging? I can’t. Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, but that’s about it – and that dual interface mess makes it slower for practical purposes.

3. Developers hate it.
    I said all along programmers wouldn’t like throwing out their hard-won .NET, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) expertise to work natively on Windows 8. I was right. Gabe Newell, co-founder and managing director of video game company Valve, said it best: “Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space.” He then started moving his Steam game empire to Linux.

4. Legacy Windows 7 users aren’t moving.
    We saw this happen before with Vista and XP. Then, as now, the new operating system – Vista – was not  better than the old operating system – XP – so very few people moved to it. We’re seeing it again now.

In addition, in an economy that’s still not moving forward quickly, who really wants to move from tried-and-true Windows 7 to new, expensive Windows 8 PCs? As Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu observed, the $500 to $1200 price tags slapped on Windows 8 hardware makes it “uncompetitive” in a world where people want iPads and Android tablets.

5. Tablet, smartphone, and desktop compe tition.
    If you are going to buy a new computing device in 2013, chances are it’s going to be an Apple iPad, an inexpensive Android tablet, or a Chromebook. The PC desktop isn’t dead, but it’s not very profitable either – and Windows 8 isn’t helping PC sales.

Microsoft has to know this. If Microsoft does indeed start selling, or rather renting, Microsoft Office for iPad, you’ll know they’ve seen the light. Microsoft’s future then will not lie in operating system and application sales, but in services.

And Windows 8? Like Vista before it, Microsoft will re-release an older version of Windows, Windows 7 this time instead of XP, and start talking about wonderful Windows Blue, the next version of Windows, will be."

Honestly there is nothing better to say than windows 8 is the worse piece of horse manure to ever have been created. Linux here is your chance to shine
    The retards over at Microsoft are simply mind boggling drunken raging lunatics

I hope they all get fired, morons

• Here’s a great quote
    "A desktop OS for tablets and a tablet OS for desktops, Windows 8 is guaranteed to disappoint nearly everyone

From the user’s standpoint, Windows 8 is a failure – an awkward mishmash that pulls the user in two directions at once. Users attracted to the new touch-friendly Metro GUI will dislike the old touch-hostile desktop underneath. By the same token, users who rely on the traditional Windows desktop will dislike having to navigate Metro to find settings and apps they intuitively locate in Windows 7. Microsoft has moved the cheese."

Oh and let’s not forget there isn’t a start button lol
    After 20 years its gone

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

There has been a consistent effort to dumb everything down since Windows XT and 2000.

User account Controls,  etc, it’s all a bunch of crap.  Windows 8 is more of the same.

They don’t want you to think anymore, they just want you to $buy$.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Gargantua:

There has been a consistent effort to dumb everything down since Windows XT and 2000.

User account Controls,  etc, it’s all a bunch of crap.  Windows 8 is more of the same.

They don’t want you to think anymore, they just want you to $buy$.

Hit the nail on the head.

• I don’t think you guys are getting it.
    Have either of you tried out/seen windows 8?

It is literally an iPhone setup on a PC. It is horrible. Useless

And it is doing even worse at this point than did vista. XP and win7 both were good for PC. Vista was bad, but this (8) makes vista look like the greatest os ever created

Words do not even begin to describe how bad it is

• I’ve gotten used to it, for the most part.  I deal with it some being IT support.  Win7 is preferred, but 8 is not so bad.

And remember, they are just catering to their clientele. If you don’t like it, learn Linux/BSD/Debian, etc.

And to me…Macs are for the dummies, not Windows.

And to me…Macs are for the dummies, not Windows.

Agreed.

So when Windows produces an O/S that’s modelled after an apple phone…  we make conclusions about it.

• They tried to make it both for tablets and more traditional PC’s and ended up making no one happy. My first experiences thus far have not been positive. Luckily I only have to use it on a PC that I do very limited things on and have no IT responsibilities for.

Did someone else say windows 8 again?

Perhaps it should be retitled “Windows H.A.T.E”

• And Apple is doing the same thing with iOS…there will be no OS for desktops and one for mobile devices.  This is just the first iteration - it will (ideally) get better.

And I actually like the 2012/13 edition of Win stuff, particularly the new clean, sharp look - Office, Win8, Server 2012 (I’m studying this one to get my MCSE again - have an NT 4.0 from right out of high school…13 years ago).

• I know “you” didn’t say these things, but I felt compelled to respond.  And no, I don’t have Win 8 myself, actually everything I have is Apple (all gifts), except for my work computer (Win7)

@Uncrustable:

1. Metro, aka Modern: An ugly, useless interface.
    I said it before, I’ll say it again: Metro, or whatever you want to call it, may make an OK tablet interface, but it’s ugly and useless on the desktop. It requires users to forget everything they ever learned about Windows and learn an entirely new way of doing things for no real reason. To quote a popularly held opinion, Metro is “awful.”

True, you can use a more traditional Windows interface, but you know what would have been a lot better? If Microsoft had just kept  the Windows 7 Aero interface for the desktop version of Windows 8 and give up this idea that the Metro touch-friendly interface is for every device.

I completely disagree…it’s sleeker to me.  It’s also not useless if you take all of 30 seconds to see what’s changed.  Sure, I missed the start menu, but in 30 minutes I was used to it.  Also, SP1 will reinstate the Start menu, so there you go.

2. Windows 8 brought nothing innovative to the desktop.
    Can you tell me one new thing that Windows 8 brought to the desktop that was truly innovative? Exciting? Engaging? I can’t. Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, but that’s about it – and that dual interface mess makes it slower for practical purposes.

I’m not sure I can think of much as far as innovation goes, except the entire concept of a single OS for all devices.  It doesn’t need to be innovative. Saying that all you can see is that it’s faster than previous incarnations shows how little you know about it.  It has more features, supports more (new) tech standards (USB 3.0, for example), more secure, and more adaptable.

3. Developers hate it.
    I said all along programmers wouldn’t like throwing out their hard-won .NET, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) expertise to work natively on Windows 8. I was right. Gabe Newell, co-founder and managing director of video game company Valve, said it best: “Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space.” He then started moving his Steam game empire to Linux.

First, there is so much misinformation, you can almost completely ignore this message.  Let’s just focus on the quote and following statement to Gabe Newell.
    Steam didn’t move to Linux, it added support for Linux - an announcement made BEFORE his dumb quote.  There is no developing issue for the platform.  What Gabe and others complained about was the centralized Windows Store, and how it was closer to what Apple and Android do than what used to be - not the OS itself (and no one complains about those setups).  Additionally, Gabe then announced the Steam Box, a Steam PC, so changes in Win 8 affect his bottom line, so that’s why he’s complaining.  Not anything to do with the OS as a whole.

4. Legacy Windows 7 users aren’t moving.
    We saw this happen before with Vista and XP. Then, as now, the new operating system – Vista – was not  better than the old operating system – XP – so very few people moved to it. We’re seeing it again now.

This is so dumb it doesn’t really deserve an answer, but here goes.  This is how it always goes for any Win release, probably for any OS.  Win8 is on a better pace than Win7 for % of users at the 6 month period, even though Vista was crap.  Why?  Because most stayed on XP.  Completely negates everything said here.  BTW, XP still has 20% of the Win OS market an OS that’s almost 13 YEARS OLD (Vista never even had 20% of the market).

In addition, in an economy that’s still not moving forward quickly, who really wants to move from tried-and-true Windows 7 to new, expensive Windows 8 PCs? As Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu observed, the $500 to $1200 price tags slapped on Windows 8 hardware makes it “uncompetitive” in a world where people want iPads and Android tablets.

How is the price point on hardware Microsoft’s fault?  Do you blame Ford for gas prices too?  So stupid.  It’s also comparing Win8 computers, All-in-ones and laptops prices to tablets (btw, Win8 tablets are no more expensive than iPads, often less so).  We compare Apples to Apples, not Apples to watermelons.

5. Tablet, smartphone, and desktop compe tition.
    If you are going to buy a new computing device in 2013, chances are it’s going to be an Apple iPad, an inexpensive Android tablet, or a Chromebook. The PC desktop isn’t dead, but it’s not very profitable either – and Windows 8 isn’t helping PC sales.

Microsoft has to know this. If Microsoft does indeed start selling, or rather renting, Microsoft Office for iPad, you’ll know they’ve seen the light. Microsoft’s future then will not lie in operating system and application sales, but in services.

And Windows 8? Like Vista before it, Microsoft will re-release an older version of Windows, Windows 7 this time instead of XP, and start talking about wonderful Windows Blue, the next version of Windows, will be."

PC sales have declined far earlier than since Win 8 was released (and actually loss of sales has decreased since then), this is just the fact that mobile devices are popular.  Most people don’t need a PC, and with the advent of more powerful phones, they don’t even bother with a tablet.  It’s just redundant.  But the PC still has its uses for the time being.  And yes, why buy a PC when a mobile device can do everything you need AND you can take it with you.  This is a no brainer and has nothing to do with Win8.  Furthermore, Win8 was released to capture some of this market, so it was a wise move on their part.  You won’t see a rerelease of Win7.  It’s still available for purchase, why in the hell would it be rereleased?  I’m not sure what services are referring to.  MS does OS and Apps, primarily. Releasing Office for the iPad (which probably won’t happen at least for a while because it encourages sales of Win8 as an exclusive - although I disagree with this view, it’s a valid argument) is in fact, profiting from Application sales.  It’s not a service.

Honestly there is nothing better to say than windows 8 is the worse piece of horse manure to ever have been created. Linux here is your chance to shine
    The retards over at Microsoft are simply mind boggling drunken raging lunatics

I hope they all get fired, morons

Well, it’s not, but ok.  I think when it comes to just Win OSes, Vista, Win ME, and Win 3.X (although good for its time) are all far, far, worse.  Linux already shines, but the mass market isn’t going to delve into anything Unix-based besides Apple.  That’s a done deal, won’t happen - too complicated for them.

Win 8 gives me a nice medium of a stable platform that I can readily work in and configure without being restricted by an OS and hardware standard like Apple.

Although I’m very tempted to get a ChromeBook.

• @empireman:

Pretty sure there won’t be an AOL app for Win8, unlike Win95 in that pic.

• @Uncrustable:

Here’s a great quote
    "A desktop OS for tablets and a tablet OS for desktops, Windows 8 is guaranteed to disappoint nearly everyone

From the user’s standpoint, Windows 8 is a failure – an awkward mishmash that pulls the user in two directions at once. Users attracted to the new touch-friendly Metro GUI will dislike the old touch-hostile desktop underneath. By the same token, users who rely on the traditional Windows desktop will dislike having to navigate Metro to find settings and apps they intuitively locate in Windows 7. Microsoft has moved the cheese."

Oh and let’s not forget there isn’t a start button lol
    After 20 years its gone

They’ll modify things a bit, but to me this just speaks to how dumb the users are.  They spend 0 time getting to know the OS and expect it to be the exact same.  It’s a tool, learn to use it.  Not many can jump in and do fine from the start…unless you’re me.

And the complaint about the start button…give me a break.  It’s like complaining that a new car with keyless entry and keyless ignition doesn’t have a freaking key to operate.

If you can’t go to the start menu by bringing up the charm bar and hitting start (by either touching or mousing the right side of the screen, OR hitting WIN key + c) OR SIMPLY HITTING THE WINDOWS KEY ITSELF, I seriously feel sorry for you.

This has got to be the biggest gripe over the simplest non-issue I’ve ever seen.

Ok, I’m done.

• Well of course if your an apple user you will love win8 lol
    you were probably defending vista too  :-P

but as far as long time pc users are concerned, win8 is crap
    we have to completely forget 2 decades of pc/windows knowledge and hop over to apple’ish computing

and as far as raw numbers are concerned win8 is actually doing worse (far worse) at this point than did vista at the same point

• @Jermofoot:

@empireman:

Pretty sure there won’t be an AOL app for Win8, unlike Win95 in that pic.

Well,

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m